Android 5 (Lollipop)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android 5 (Lollipop)

I installed an alpha version of Cyanogen CM12 as I was curious to see if an older smart-phone (Samsung S3) could run it. Even with all the bugs, I find this version to be way better than previous versions of Android. It seems to be a lot faster and the user interface responds more fluidly. I have also noticed that battery life seems to have increased running this version (I seem to have 25% more battery at the end of the day compared to before). Maybe I'm comparing apples with oranges as currently GPS and mobile data still doesn’t work, but I am getting very excited about installing the stable version of this ROM when it becomes available.

Has anyone else used Android 5 yet?

LOL... that improved battery life will be history as soon as mobile data and gps is enabled.... that the 2 most battery hogging features of a smartphone

Comment

Nope.... I am not using Android at all... I am using windows phone with developers 8.1 (latest build) the last update made the wifi kinda flakey on the lumia icon (battery hungry)...
      Not robbing the thread but like you I am running a preview OS.... maybe we can compare notes between os's lol

I am kinda curious to the improvements in android though clivejo so keep the thread updated

Comment

Well as I know where I am and the mobile signal is rubbish here, I rarely use either of those features, so with a 25% increase in battery life I'm a happy camper! Apparently GPS and mobile data will be fixed soon, so Ill run more tests then, but its looking good

Nice demo of Lollipop here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNbqFrD_mn0

Comment

I will say Android 5 is the slickest Android I have seen.... It looks great on the video....

Comment

It is very slick, I like it a lot. The user accounts feature is great and there is a built in guest account, so can give phone to someone to play with and they cant mess too much up! I havent tried it yet but I might setup a work and personal accounts to keep them separate. It would be like having two phone in one. Id actually love to have a dual SIM card handset to do just that.

Comment

That is the one thing I liked.... user accounts.... that be handy to keep people out of your personal life and still use the phone.... Hoping that feature eventually makes it to windows phone... I cringe letting anyone make a phone call cuz once they are in they are in lol..

Comment

Hello.

I have plans to test the Alpha this Weekend.

Are you using this ROM:

Unofficial CyanogenMod 12 for the Samsung Galaxy S3
                Brought to you by AntaresOne

I will test it on my S4.

Best Regards,
                Tom.

Comment

The one I am testing is this one - http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...od-12-t2936990 and yes its unofficial with no Cyanogen Mods yet.

The Radio Interface Layer (RIL) is still broken (no mobile data) and GPS, but these fixes are being worked on and committed to Github as we speak, I think we will see a beta version very soon

From what I read the S4 build is in better shape, but be careful to read the dev threads!!
                  Last edited by clivejo; 27-11-2014, 12:48 PM.

Comment

its the time to change to iPhone 6, clivejo

Comment

Originally posted by wjleong View Post
                      Nooooo wayyyyyyy, hosay!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wjleong View Post
                        And I think I'll stick with Windows Phone 8.1 lol I do like my Mac Mini though

Comment

I'm not going to gang you yav, If the number apps do not grow for windows phone 8x like I hope i will go to a Iphone. I chose windows phone 8.x and stay with it for the #1 reason it just works, I've never had to forceclose an app or the phone just restart itself or freeze. #2 reason was the interface is pleasantly different. When you use a windows phone people notice lol.....

Comment

Yan Yan Yan, just that one comment and I lost all respect for you

Only joking!! What draws you to the iPhone?

PS Most of the major issues have been fixed in the latest build(Alpha 4). The data was a bit tricky to get working, but it does my job and I’m using the ROM as my daily driver Its lots smoother than previous versions and battery life is still great even with GPS, wifi and mobile data running.

Comment

Originally posted by doneritehosting View Post
                              I'm not going to gang you yav, If the number apps do not grow for windows phone 8x like I hope i will go to a Iphone. I chose windows phone 8.x and stay with it for the #1 reason it just works, I've never had to forceclose an app or the phone just restart itself or freeze. #2 reason was the interface is pleasantly different. When you use a windows phone people notice lol.....
                              Of course you dont have to force close an app, there are none!!

Comment

Working...
                              X