Woww... SSD's are the dogs danglies!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woww... SSD's are the dogs danglies!!

I just installed a new SSD on my laptop and wow I'm impressed!! Boots from cold in 3 seconds!

EDIT : The above is slang for "Something really cool. Something you want real bad.
    Something or a person that is the best thing ever."

calling someone the dogs danglies is saying someone is "cool" or "the shit". it is a sign of respect.

oh no, not you too I have seen so many SSDs go dead for the past year that am NEVER getting an SSD honestly maybe in 2 years when they become more stable and reliable.

Comment

Way to go bursting my bubble!!

Was the failure due to the too many writes failure? I been thinking a lot about this and I've moved my home directories to a second regular HDD, also moved tmp and log files off the SSD to try and keep writes to it to a minimum.

Are there any other tips I should consider to help keep it running?

Comment

too many write failures yes. I just think those disks are not up to the challenge when it comes to server usage. For personal usage they should live up to the hype.

Comment

Yeah but in certain cases they would be useful. For example a read only database or a cache of static objects. I reckoned my internet cache would kill it very fast, that's why I moved my home to secondary HDD. Still way faster though!

Comment

SSD... I am getting one soon.

However it will be 64GB no more - for the OS only.

All important stuff will stay on the HDD

Comment

I agree with keeping the SSD small and only for the OS. I moved all my log files and any file that changed regularity to a HDD. As a result I only use 7.7Gb of a 500Gb SSD Over kill to be honest.

I'm thinking of putting my music on the SSD as it rarely changes, just gets added to!

Comment

@clivejo, actually I am on something new now

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIaz5WktAGg

Way better... and cheaper (maybe)!

Comment

yay that looks too cool for school I am using the same CPU hydro cooling btw its top notch! The RAM Disk is a great idea actually.

Anyone knows any drawbacks ?

Comment

I use a ramdisk on a raspberrypi to prevent SD-card writes, works pretty well. But my RAM is too valuable to spare any on my main PC.

I dont know why but having the SSD and HDD on together seems to speed up the HDD(maybe single reads/writes are easier for it, without the OS being there)) I'm very happy with the performance so far and seem to be keeping writes to SSD very low(just OS updates). I never suspend or hibernate my PC any more, as I can boot a clean session in a few seconds.

Comment

Clivejo, you're lucky. I wish I ahd the money to get an SSD. I need one quite badly, but it needs to be 160GB or larger. Of course as I'm unemployed I don't have the money for one, and I don't think the OS HDD I intend replace it with is going to last until Christmas, so in any event I'm kind of screwed if my HDD fails. I do plan to, should I finally come up[ with the money, or should my OS HDD somehow survive until Christmas (all its doing now is providing me with 7 minute bootup times, and I mean with only essential things, the stuff you van't leave out, starting up). I really don't want to take an image of the drive and simply re-install windows because that's only a temporary fix. I'd rather an SSD that will boot me up in less tan 2 minutes. Of course, they're very expensive to me, but I seem to have little choice in the matter, lol.

Comment

Wow 7 minute boot times I would go mad !! But to be honest you couldnt pay me to use Windows on a daily bases!! 10-15mins on Windows 7 and that stupid metro interface and I'm ready to throw it out the window!

It was purchased as I was sure my main HDD was dying a horrible death. It racked up 967 bad sectors in a month and I was sure it was about to die! However, since I reformatted and only use it for my home directory and capturing raw video it is behaving itself and no new bad sectors have been recorded. I am keeping a tight eye on it though and make sure I have everything on it backed up!

Comment

Originally posted by clivejo View Post
                          Wow 7 minute boot times I would go mad !! But to be honest you couldnt pay me to use Windows on a daily bases!! 10-15mins on Windows 7 and that stupid metro interface and I'm ready to throw it out the window!
                          Taking Windows and throwing it out the window? No pun intended, right? You do mean Windows 8 don't you with the metro interface. I like Windows 7 (hated Vista) and haven't thought about upgrading (?) to Windows 8 yet. Maybe 8.1 will tempt me but I don't know.......

Comment

• clivejo
                            clivejo commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Sorry, yes I meant Windows 8. I HATE the metro interface!

As an update, I did upgrade to Windows 8 and found it to boot up quickly and quite a good OS. However the Metro interface is something I could not get used to and downloaded a shell that gives me an interface similar to Windows 7. I like it. However due to some limitation with the PC I have I was unable to upgrade to Win 8.1 so I cannot comment on that. I may have to break down and buy a new desktop. I just hate to spend the money right now as I have had quite a few expenses lately....but if anybody wants to donate to the cause I'd be willing to accept.

Comment

Had win 8 on my Toshiba laptop and like you did not like the metro interface. I went to linux zorin os7. its setup like win7 and based off ubuntu. The only thing i miss from win8 is being able to stream media over the network to the xbox 360 on the bigscreen in the livingroom. Have a looksee may save u from an upgrade

Comment

Working...
                            X