Planting a seed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planting a seed

Okay, I'm assuming not, but could be worth checking into or figuring out a way to do it.

The thought... is there anyway to allow resellers the ability to offer either a sub-set of the templates or to create and offer their own?

Where's this coming from? Still part of my investigation of the idea of targeting niche hosting, but more than just hosting, a complete solution to the client.... so you could offer a variety of templates all built around a particular theme or niche, and then the hosting to go along with it. Allowing users to develop sites with little to no knowledge needed of HTML, etc.

Seems like an implementation of SiteStudio or some other builder would be an ideal fit with RSP, and really provide a unique solution and differentiator in the reseller hosting market.

Hey there Identity,

I know that if you have a dedicated server you can install your own copy of Site Studio, then create new templates, add your own images to appear in the Image Editor and lots of other cool stuff.

But as a reseller, we don't have these opportunities.

But there must be other options as you suggest.

I sell a range of templates [from $5] on one of my sites.

I'd love to be able to offer themed web building, like Site Studio, so the end-user still has the ease of use, but the templates could differ from niche to niche.

There *must* be a way to do this ...

Hmmmmm ... what about if we provide templates [sourced from any range of places and turned into niche markets by the addition of images, for example], and then all we had to do was provide some kind of software which made the templates into *web builder* solutions?

I remember asking questions about this on a forum a long time ago ...

maybe it was this forum ...

Is Mambo or other software something we can easily set up to make *any* template a *web builder* for our clients?

This is a great thread, hopefully between us all we can find some cool options and solutions!

WebGirl

Comment

I've been looking at a number of solutions.

My knowledge on the CMS front is still very poor... just haven't had time to play with any of them yet. I did find an add-on or mod for Joomla/Mambo that looks interesting, MultiCMS, which allows you to setup users to essentially create their own site with all the features and mods available, but all running under one installation.

I've also looked at a number of SiteStudio competitors... I know you don't want to hear it, but I think I liked some of them quite a bit better. SiteReptile was probably one of the better one, and relatively affordable, all things considered... especially compared to some of the others.

I found an interesting site and looks like one of the more promising solutions, even allows you to work with Dreamweaver templates, but the site looks a bit dated, some of the copy is duplicate, and some of the links don't work... so not really sure if it is still being developed, or if they are even the actual developer... take a look though mydesignsuite.com.

Otherwise, the next promising solution, which I recommend signing up for the demo, is hivemaker.com.

The one drawback is most of these utilize either a subdomain or a directory within the main site, but ideally I'd like them to be able to connect to the builder and be able to work with and load up a site to their own web space.

This is all based on an idea I had a couple years ago, just recently rekindled. The closest thing I've seen to it is hostbaby.com, and that system was developed from the ground up.

A lot of the major players are pushing the builders for the novices and the builders are getting more and more sophisticated. However, there is something to be said about a hostbaby hosting versus a yahoo hosting... a shared mutual interest. Spend a little time looking around their forum... that's a very loyal and supportive member base... doubt yahoo has people sinking their praise to that degree.

It's not market size that's important, it's market share. If you can target a niche and offer a package that is truly aimed at their needs, especially offering something like hosting to a user base that does not have a web background, I think you will eliminate most of your competition right there.

Just seems like RSP's unique reseller offering could really tap into this and continue to standout from the crowd. Let the resellers start to tap into the markets from the ground up rather than top down, and most other hosting companies won't have a clue what is happening before it is too late. RSP could have the largest collection of niche hosting in the market.

Oh, and while so many resellers are trying to figure out how they can compete by offering hosting for $3.99 a month... hostbaby does a lot more for their membes than a traditional host, but they easily command $20 a month too, and could probably raise prices significantly without little loss.

Comment

Working...
      X