Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow - conservative and libertarian - guess I will post !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow - conservative and libertarian - guess I will post !

Wow - conservative and libertarian - guess I will post !

Hi - I originally signed up / joined quite a while ago - 2004/5. Had a few queries for hosting but I dont recall why but never had a sale. Since I was a IBM mainframe / midrange guy for 30 yrs, I tend to research too much, instead of just doing it !!

I have several domains currently in 1and1.com, in a package but I really only use them to forward emails or to transfer to blogs (posterous.com).

I cant seem to find out how or if you can manage emails for domains registered here.

I cant seem to figure out what or if there is a difference between having a resellers hosting account or buying a small pkg from one of you? I looked at fdwhostingco and it seems that there may be more programs there.

I expect that I can just link to the free ********* url for anyone that wants it from any web site. I also expect that I wont be getting any unknown traffic, but the couple folks that Ive helped get going (with 1and1) I did it or with them.

As I type seems I need to know more - I never did really understand DNS and Names. Is there a clear but accurate article somewhere?

TIA

Allan ..

follow up question:

If you setup the store under one domain and you decide you want to use another domain name, can you just change the domain?

How long does it take to get a new domain activated? How long does it take to transfer a domain ? If you do a transfer, that has several months before it expires, how is that handled?

Are these simple ques that have been answered somewhere? Thanks

Comment

The domain registration usually is immediate after payment has been received and verified, but propagation of the url can take up to 72 hours. (only means that not everyone will see your site at the same time)
      As to a transfer, this depends on the company that you are transferring from.
      Don't know about transfers from 1and1 but I do know about transfers from godaddy and transfers in enom.
      Transferring from godaddy will depend on if you have made any changes to your account information (even if you change the dns to reflect a new hosting server)They have a policy of not allowing transfers for 60 days after changes are made. (some times they do override this policy if you are persistent)
      Transferrs with an enom registration are usually speedy.
      Regardless of who you transfer from or to, you still have the propagation period.
      It takes time for every network to reflect the changes.

Comment

Originally posted by katahdin View Post
        I cant seem to find out how or if you can manage emails for domains registered here.
        Emails for reseller domain are managed through the E-mails & News section of the reseller control panel. You need to host domain in your reseller account to be able to set an mailbox or email alias for this domain. Resellers have one mailbox, but can have as many email aliases as they wish. The email from all aliases is collected in the mailbox of the reseller.

Emails for domains under hosting accounts are managed through the E-mail Manager section of the web hosting control panel. Web hosting clients can create as many mailboxes and e-mail aliases as the limits on their web hosting plan allow.

I cant seem to figure out what or if there is a difference between having a resellers hosting account or buying a small pkg from one of you?
        A reseller account under the free reseller program allows you to resell our hosting services earning commission for each sale. The reseller accounts under the free reseller program do not include web space of their own, only access to pre-made reseller templates and other tools that allow you to sell hosting.

A web hosting account would give you web space of your own on our servers, where you can host a custom build reseller store of your own, a web site for different purposes of your own or both depending on the features of the web hosting plan.

As I type seems I need to know more - I never did really understand DNS and Names. Is there a clear but accurate article somewhere?
        Wikipedia has a very good article on DNS.

If you setup the store under one domain and you decide you want to use another domain name, can you just change the domain?
        Yes, you can.

How long does it take to get a new domain activated? How long does it take to transfer a domain? If you do a transfer, that has several months before it expires, how is that handled?
        Domains are activated instantly on confirmation of the payment. The propagation of the DNS information for the domain worldwide can take up to 72 hours, i.e. this should be the maximum time required until your domain starts resolving properly anywhere on the Internet.

Time for domain transfers varies depending to different factors. Often domain transfers can be completed in a few days to a week, but I suggest that you plan ahead and transfer a domain at least one month prior to its expiration date.

If you transfer a domain name you pay a transfer fee to the accepting domain registrar that is usually equal to the domain registration fee. The domain transfer typically extends the expiration date of your domain by one year.

Are these simple ques that have been answered somewhere?
        Yes, questions similar to yours have been answered on this forum on multiple occasions previously. Please, use the forum search tool to locate the relevant information.

Comment

Thank you all for responding.

Looking at the CP demo (which I hadn't b4) resolved my perspective that I was missing regarding the hosting accounts.

I have read and re-read most of http://www.resellerspanel.com/ and think that there is mixed references to what I had (and I expect other had initially) some confusion regarding a Free Reseller Hosting account (Without web site hosting) and a Reseller Hosting account with Resellers Panel web space.

As an example, I have a domain- xyz.net on 1and1.com. I thought that I could point that domain somehow to my Free Reseller Hosting panel page. So when someone entered xyz.net they would get transferred to RSP free page - my store as defined on Reseleers Panel v2.

Thus I would have already signed up for at least the business plan, to test it out, but I wasn't ready to register or transfer a domain initially. When I started to use you folks years ago, it seemed many web hosting sites only did hosting and you had to register your domain with another site.

Since it looks like you're not making any money on domain registration, why would you make a free reseller register or transfer a domain initially for the hosting program?

Instead of a transfer - just a destination change in the domain registry to RSP which would be implemented immediately.

If i got it right, I would only save $1 by registering or transferring right away.
          Can’t seem to find the page now ! And one time I thought I saw regist as $4 - Is that right - maybe on old page?

Actually, I do want to register a new domain, but it is not one that I want to be forced to connect with the Free Reseller Hosting program.

Does this make my question clearer - or just confused !! ;=}

Are all email forwarding systems equal? IE - will I get the same response in forwarding emails with RSP/******* as I do with 1and1 (which I think is a large (tier 1) host.

I did try some searches in the forum for ansers / info, but I might be not using the correct terminology to get a good match. If its faster for a response, if you can post a link - that would be great.

Thanks all -

Comment

The best way to learn to swim is to jump in the water.

Sign up for a free account, this will open up more areas to research (and you seem to relish in that). You won't need a domain name to sign up. After spending some time getting your feet wet you can dive into the deeper water by purchasing a small hosting account.

Research this forum....there are many great posts here that will answer many of your questions and there are many excellent members that will help answer your questions as you build your hosting business.

Comment

Originally posted by vlasi47gr View Post
              The best way to learn to swim is to jump in the water.

Sign up for a free account, this will open up more areas to research (and you seem to relish in that).
              Ive had a Free Reseller Hosting account since 2005 - heck it looks like I joined the month before you !! LOL

I had linked to it in some postings years ago, and vaguely recall a couple inquiries.

Ive been going thru a lot of posts here -

as I said above:
              Thus I would have already signed up for at least the business plan, to test it out, but I wasn't ready to register or transfer a domain initially.
              and
              Actually, I do want to register a new domain, but it is not one that I want to be forced to connect with the Free Reseller Hosting program.
              I still haven't found out what is the difference between my resellers hosting web account and buying a web hosting account from one of you who sells from cPanel Reseller ?? Only obvious thing i see is the mention of Fantastico.

Thanks for responding

Thanks

Comment

Why doesn’t my sig work ?

Thanks..

Comment

I still haven't found out what is the difference between my resellers hosting web account and buying a web hosting account from one of you who sells from cPanel Reseller ?? Only obvious thing i see is the mention of Fantastico.
                  The main difference is if you buy a hosting account from yourself via the free hosting account you will pay wholesale price instead of retail. Fantastico is not included with the free resellers account program only with the cpanel accounts. I doubt if you need Fantastico. I would recommend purchasing a small hosting account from yourself first. If your business warrants it you can step up later.

My primary business is designing web sites for others. I use a free reseller account to sell them hosting when they don't have another provider.

I guess what I am trying to say is you need to determine what it is that you want to do first, then decide what type of account you need. I'll be glad to sell you a small account for you to get started with , and later you can decide if you want to do this as a business or you just want to host your own site and email accounts.

Comment

Thanks Nick - I didn't swim, but I did bite the bullet !!

I got the business pkg via Buy Hosting Account
                    - It ended up costing $43 instead of the $40 plus $5/$6 ..

So I guess I bot it from myself but w/o the connection to the resellers page.

Oh well - tested out sending / forwarding emails.

Comment

I have read and re-read most of http://www.resellerspanel.com/ and think that there is mixed references to what I had (and I expect other had initially) some confusion regarding a Free Reseller Hosting account (Without web site hosting) and a Reseller Hosting account with Resellers Panel web space.
                      ResellersPanel offers two types of reseller programs: the free reseller program and the cPanel reseller program. The differences between these had been discussed on the forum on many occasions before.

In short:
                      The free reseller accounts do not cost money, do not include hosting space, but offer you the opportunity to resell hosting to clients and earn a commission on each sale. ResellersPanel provides billing and technical support for hosting clients under the free reseller program, unless the reseller chooses otherwise.

The cPanel reseller program requires you to pay a monthly fee. You receive a portion of resources on our servers (disk space and bandwidth) that you can subdivide these resources and sell them to your clients. The billing and technical support for the hosting end-customers is provided by the reseller.

As an example, I have a domain- xyz.net on 1and1.com. I thought that I could point that domain somehow to my Free Reseller Hosting panel page. So when someone entered xyz.net they would get transferred to RSP free page - my store as defined on Reseleers Panel v2.
                      You are not required to register or transfer a domain for use with a free reseller account. You can use an existing domain with another domain registrar or even go without a domain.

To use an existing domain, you need to enter it in the Use Existing tab of the Domain Manager section of your reseller control panel. You also need to update the DNS records for your domain in the domain control panel of your current domain registrar. The settings you need to use are given in the Use Existing tab of the Domain Manager section in your reseller control panel. After you update the DNS settings of your domain allow up to 72 hours for propagation.

Since it looks like you're not making any money on domain registration, why would you make a free reseller register or transfer a domain initially for the hosting program?
                      Again, you do not have to register or transfer a domain to use to use a free reseller hosting account with us. Registering or transferring a domain is optional, you can use an existing domain or even go without a domain.

Can’t seem to find the page now ! And one time I thought I saw regist as $4 - Is that right - maybe on old page?
                      Domains registration used to be USD 4.00 wholesale for a single domain ordered together with a hosting account. This price was increased to USD 5.00 after domain registries raised domain registration fees recently. Domains for resellers and additional domains for hosting customers start at USD 9.00 per domain per year wholesale, depending on the domain extension.

Are all email forwarding systems equal? IE - will I get the same response in forwarding emails with RSP/******* as I do with 1and1 (which I think is a large (tier 1) host.
                      I am not familiar with the email forwarding systems used by 1and1, but generally all email forwarding systems work in a similar way, so I guess it’s pretty much the same.

Web hosting accounts under the free reseller program do not include Fantastico, which is a script installer exclusive to cPanel, as far as I know. However, hosting accounts under the free reseller program include Elefante, a proprietary script installer of our own that works in a similar way to Fantastico. I have explained the basic differences between the free reseller program and the cPanel reseller program above.

Comment

...and for the record, Elefante is much easier to use than Fantastico.

Comment

Working...
                        X