Cloud Linux OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloud Linux OS

I was browsing on my competitors website and notice they were using CloudLinux as their OS. I made a quick search what this linux is about.

According to what I read that it gives all its users in a shared hosting limits including the CPU resource a single account can use. So I'm guessing no more suspension for over using the CPU usage. As I understand that account that exceed CPU usage will have it in queue. It might be bad for that account but the rest of the users will no longer be affected of the misused resources.

I'm now wondering, is RSP using this OS or do they looking at that direction? Will it benefit us?

Originally posted by ebobro View Post
    I was browsing on my competitors website and notice they were using CloudLinux as their OS. I made a quick search what this linux is about.

According to what I read that it gives all its users in a shared hosting limits including the CPU resource a single account can use. So I'm guessing no more suspension for over using the CPU usage. As I understand that account that exceed CPU usage will have it in queue. It might be bad for that account but the rest of the users will no longer be affected of the misused resources.

I'm now wondering, is RSP using this OS or do they looking at that direction? Will it benefit us?
    My understanding is that RSP is currently migrating all accounts into a cloud enviroment at this time.

Clivejo? valasi? Do you have more detailed information for this member

Comment

My understanding is that RSP use Debian as the OS on individual physical servers, but there is a cloud on top of that.

They also have Virtual Private Servers (VPS) which run in the cloud and give you guaranteed RAM, CPU and disk space. You can then choose which OS you want to run on them yourself as its a Virtual Machine. Maybe Yan will comment on the physical hardware when he gets a minute.

Comment

Well whilst whilst browsing after receiving the newsletter in my inbox I thought I'd pop my head up and explain what I know about this.

First of all to my knowledge the free resellers program does not use CloudLinux and I don't see LiquidNet implementing it anytime soon for reason being that it seems compared to the implemented system actually very limited and simplistic.

Liquidnet apparently have developed there own Cluster Based Load Balancing system. This is able to spread the traffic (load) between all servers within a cluster (connected group) as to not stress any individual server thus providing a fast and steady performance between all servers.

As you say CloudLinux is good for overall damage limitation in traffic but not so good for individual accounts needing the extra performance.
        Cloudlinux by my understanding is actually not realllly a cloud OS at all, although it can be argued maybe that there is no real definition of what Cloud really is. This is because all Cloudlinux I think really does is it simply creates a virtual containers per dedicated server, and that is it (i.e. Hosting Account VPS).
        Furthermore there are other solutions that can perform this task too.
        CloudLinux just have a good name.

So CloudLinux's aim is to reduce damage limitation from spikes by simply blocking anything above the allotted quota.

This is one way. It's a simple way, but it is not a very flexible way in terms of allowing each hosting account to use more resources if needed whilst still maintaining server performance.

Another way, and arguably a more advanced and flexible way and a way from my understanding that our friends at Liquidnet use is via Load Balancing which as explained above is able to distribute the load to less busy servers.

So how does this work if your website is only stored on one server?

Well, that's simple, your website isn't just fully stored on just one physical sever but stored across multiple using something called Virtualisation (or Virtualization if your American). This is something I don't think CloudLinux can do as standard.

This works by seamlessly pushing out instances of your website to another server within the cluster and then redirecting traffic to that new server.

This therefore allows the server to use more resources if needed whilst maintaining good performance across that server and the rest of the servers within the network.

This is a simple explanation and a simple example of a possible method and I can go into this a bit more, but for all intense and purposes of generally explaining the system, which I think is employed by Liquidnet, should suffice.

In conclusion, CloudLinux is a very simple and less flexible option then that what I think is actually used by Liquidnet.

P.s. As clivejo has already said, in respect to the OS that has the Apche etc servers installed on, they use Debian.
        Last edited by Reece; 06-02-2013, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X