need advice / general overview of cpanel to cpanel move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice / general overview of cpanel to cpanel move

i need to move a few customer accounts from one cpanel host to another that does not offer FULL account restores for easy admin level moves. Their support docs suggest to do partials bu's and restore them yourself.... home directory bu, dbase bu and such (i have no need to worry about email). THey say thats all there is to it. Whenever I read those words i know there's more to it.

So does this preserve things like ftp accounts/passwords?, db names users passwords as well as content?, how about paths and database connections for CMS's? What will it NOT preserve, what do i need to clean up or look out for?

thanks.

I have preformed such migrations in the past. That method will preserve all of the settings that were in the database for the site, but not from the hosting company such as ftp info. If you know this type of info you can easily re-set them up manually. The only problem that I've ever had was when restoring a backed up zip file was the directory structure didn't always return, but that was rare, and depended on the host company. I never had that problem with RSP.

PS: Every thing I said makes the assumption that you are keeping the same domain name.
    Last edited by iads; 06-07-2014, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by theLarry View Post
      THey say thats all there is to it. Whenever I read those words i know there's more to it.
      Not touching that one Larry maybe migrate it to a rsp account? You don't have to worry bout nothing at all then except notifying RSP of a cpanel migration with user and password info for the cpanel account or there is an alternate method of migration where you do not need to supply rsp the user name or password for the cpanel account.... your client would have top of line support...
      Last edited by doneritehosting; 05-07-2014, 03:03 AM.

Comment

There was a blog post on this topic a while back - http://blog.resellerspanel.com/lates...explained.html

I haven’t use cPanel in years and have no intention of doing so

Comment

as always thanks guys... very helpful

Originally posted by doneritehosting View Post
          ... maybe migrate it to a rsp account?
          we're too far into this project to change direction at this point. Knowing what I know now about RSP, it would have made the better choice for most of the clients involved in this one. Gotta tell ya guys, we're becoming less and less satisfied with "the other guys" and our marketing focus looks like we'll be promoting our brand here as our priority.

Comment

Originally posted by clivejo View Post
            There was a blog post on this topic a while back - http://blog.resellerspanel.com/lates...explained.html

I haven’t use cPanel in years and have no intention of doing so

Same here... hespia is to easy to work with so I call it being spoiled

Comment

Originally posted by doneritehosting View Post

Same here... hespia is to easy to work...
              We've moved our enterprise sites here for secondary fail-over hosting... after doing the speed tests its faster than our primary platform. So guess what, we're reversing or fail-over model and RSP is now our primary enterprise hosting platform. We're not just impressed as resellers here, we're impressed as a direct (our own) customer.

Comment

Thats good larry, Like clivejo has said several times over the years, hespia is so easy that sometimes you overlook the feature you are looking for or a quote from him "sometimes you'll look at something and scratch your head wondering if it can really be this easy" Hespia has spoiled me for a fact and rsp support has set a standard for speed with me as well. It's hard for me to even deal with amazon for support with orders and such (good but slow) even though I admit their chat has a fair resolution time.

Comment

Working...
                X