No announcement yet.

Trying Free Wordpress as plan A but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Free Wordpress as plan A but...

we're fundamentally Joomla! folks so the remote forms or api looked really attractive, but the wordpress sites, completely developed and just needing a bit it customizing looks even better (almost too good to be true)!

Question: Since we're doing the private cluster anyway, the WordPress site is "free" but if we have trouble with WordPress in general, can we "back out" and go with a completely independent Joomla! site after the fact? (of course we know we would have to host it ourselves, here or elsewhere)

-thx guys... i fear you all may get a lot of questions from us over the weekend.

Far as I know RSP has no limitations to what type of CMS you host your reseller site under.... Also, I think when you purchase a dns cluster, the free plan itself is then available to you. I'm not 100% sure of that so be sure to file a ticket with support about that....

Wordpress is not really that difficult to manage... I have never used Joomla so I cannot say if one is easier than the other....

First thing you will notice though is that RSP has disabled rich editing in the editor and with good reason at this point. It Destroys the HTML and causes alignment problems with the RSP provided static pages... which leaves it a pain to create decent looking posts.

There is a alternate wordpress editor that will work that I use for creating posts only and you can install it free from the wordpress repository called "FolioPress WYSIWYG" It works great but be sure to disable it before editing any of the included static pages. Do not try any of the editor plugins that rely on TinyMCE they will not work..

Happy Blogging

Comment

thanks for the heads-up on the editor breaking the code. same in Joomla! world. I also appreciate the recommendation on "Folio". We're hoping the WordPress works out. I've been wanting to get familiar with it anyway, and RSP's solution saves a lot of dev time.

Upon more thought if we back out of WordPress and do Joomla!, since its tied to the DNS cluster, I should either be able to just change the A record, OR notify support of our intention.

Thanks.l

Comment

Yes you can change the a record in your dns cluster if you wish... however my impression from RSP was the free plan that you get with a DNS cluster purchase is a in-house (preconfigured) full fledged starter plan, not crippled.... you should be able to just remove wordpress and install joomla if you end up that unhappy with wordpress. No need to change the A record or pay for a different account.... On that note if you wish to run a joomla based and a wordpress reseller site you can can upgrade the free plan to host 2 domains from the hespia control panel..

I believe the cpu quota on that account is 5%, it is on the starter plan anyway, so if you get much traffic running both sites you may get a cpu quota notice from RSP lol... Myself, I moved on to a ovz-04 vps with hespia and have never looked back... its fully managed and works similar to a shared account... I have had 1 downtime since january for about 30 min and security upgrades were being installed by support... absolutely stellar! Its overkill but I like to plan for the future, who knows I may get lucky LMAO!
        Last edited by doneritehosting; 10-05-2014, 02:44 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

planning for the future is a very sound strategy... we need to play it like we're in for the long haul ('cause we are). yes, after looking more at the free plan, i think you're right, standard Starter Plan. It does look like we could simply ditch the WordPress install and move in Joomla... BUT GUESS WHAT! The WordPress is working fine for us out of the box and we just need to figure out how to navigate WordPress in general and any modifications we want to make will probably be a piece of cake. I think we're off to a good start.

Comment

These themes / plugin are developed to run for the beginner right out of the box. If you are doing any customization:

1 Keep any customizations you make to the header / footer saved to a file in notepad. Theme updates rewrite this to default install. This is normal. In Wpadmin go to appearance / editor / header copy all the code to a txt file and save. repeat for the footer.

2 The "body" content will also be replaced with default content with rsp plugin updates unless you go to wpadmin / resellerspanel / pages and click the checkbox "do not update" for every page you have custom content on. Lesson learned hard way on this end and totally aggravating if you forget to do it lol.

One good thing to note about that is now that rsp backs shared accounts up 4 times daily there is a good chance you can restore a backup to revert back to your custom content if something goes haywire.

Luck to you larry, if you liked Joomla, you are going to Love Wordpress

Comment

Hello.

Originally posted by doneritehosting View Post
              RSP has no limitations to what type of CMS you host your reseller site under.... Also, I think when you purchase a dns cluster, the free plan itself is then available to you. I'm not 100% sure of that so be sure to file a ticket with support about that....
              - This is 100% correct, thank you!

I believe the cpu quota on that account is 5%
              - Yes, 5% it is!

+ all of the features, including the CPU Usage can be upgraded through the Hepsia Control Panel >> Add or Upgrade Services:

Screenshot: http://cl.ly/image/1U311E1I1l3C

Best Regards,
              Tom.

Comment

Question Tom,

I host my reseller site on a vps with a dns cluster... would this plan available to use as a hosting account or is it just for reseller purposes only? Just curious

Comment

Hello.

The Wordpress Reseller Hosting Account is for Reseller Purposes only.

Best Regards,
                  Tom.

Comment

Thanks Tom Appreciate the info

Comment

These themes / plugin are developed to run for the beginner right out of the box. If you are doing any customization:...
                      Wow, thanks for the heads up. That will save us a lot of time knowing in advance.

what we may do then is run a parallel instance in a subdirectory that we can update and replace content (using live site as model), then move live. We do something similar on all of our enterprise websites... we like safety nets. RSP's backup scheme is terrific too, we're not used that level of "got your back"!

Comment

Your welcome Larry

Comment

Working...
                        X