Mystery of the Ever Changing Home Page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery of the Ever Changing Home Page

I don't know if this is an RSP plugin quirk or one of WP in general (we're new to WP) but our front page actually changes every time we hit save. Ya duh... I know what you're thinking, but I mean like we're using Home 2, and when we save anything, it starts using Home 3 or Home 4. We've figured out the pattern and if we save 4 times in a row, its back to using our preferred Home 2 page again. How can we tame this behavior and make our preferred home page permanent?

Thanks in advance...
    he frustrated web lacky

In your Theme settings if you click Customise and select the front page and Save, it should lock it to this Front page. Another way would be to actually delete the Home Pages you dont want, therefore they wont be able to cycle like you are seeing now.

Comment

Thanks! I'll double check the Theme/Customize section you suggested, and if that doesn't work then yes, we'll unpublish or delete the unwanted pages. Being new to WP we're just shy of deleting, disabling and such too quickly... wanted to check first. I must say this whole WP customization thing is GREAT.

Comment

Yes the WP platform is very flexible, for both designers and end users.

Comment

I've noticed this behavior too, have not mentioned it though.... to me it's been minor irritant as you do not lose any custom mods and as clivejo said you can just go to the theme options and re select the homepage you desire to use...

Comment

ya, as Joomla! folks, our main questions about WP fall mostly into the format of... "okay, so where do you do ________ at"? - its a learning curve!

Comment

going into themes area and setting static home page did not work... it was already set to static. I tried unpublishing other pages, then i got 404 errors until it cycled back to my desired page (home 2 i belive). Since it is determined to cycle through even with them unpublished, i really afraid to delete them. I think i'm going to actually have to call on this.. i'll report back with results.

Comment

Originally posted by theLarry View Post
                going into themes area and setting static home page did not work... it was already set to static. I tried unpublishing other pages, then i got 404 errors until it cycled back to my desired page (home 2 i belive). Since it is determined to cycle through even with them unpublished, i really afraid to delete them. I think i'm going to actually have to call on this.. i'll report back with results.
                Edit all of the Home Pages to look just like the one that you want....

Comment

okay we've got this figured out... NOT FIXED, but figured out. I have a brand new install of my WP site from the support team after my "sign up button" issue. the first thing i did was test the home page shift. Just as before, every time I hit the Save button the RSP plugin area, the home page changes. go back in and hit save again... again the home page changes. What I figured out is its actually changing the STATIC HOME PAGE assignment in the theme customization screen.

SO AT LEAST WE HAVE A WORK AROUND... any time i have to refresh/save a change in the RSP plugin area, we just have to immediately go back into the theme customization area and reset our static home page to the desired one and we're fine... all in just one quick additional step.

I have not put in a ticket on this because now its just annoying, not a real problem, however...

@Support dudes... i'm sure that's not the intended functionality; maybe you guys can look at an install and come up with a template/plugin update using this info? If you would like for me to actually open a ticket I will be happy to if it helps you track it, but we didn't think it warranted it from our stan***int... but we wanted to post the work around for others.

Comment

OHHHH, Larry do not use save in the plugin unless you need to revert back to default page content! Use "delete cache and refresh account info" to update product and pricing changes. If you click save directly under the api user password you will lose any custom content in your pages. This is also why your homepage is resetting to the default one so often..... Mystery solved

Check all your pages in the plugin do not update.... This will keep you from accidently losing custom work if you happen to hit save by mistake but your homepage will always revert back to default...

I keep all my pages checked "do not update" If I "cough, clears throat" mess a page up badly I uncheck it then click "save" which restores default page content if you need a quick fix... course have to reset my homepage again too...
                    Last edited by doneritehosting; 07-06-2014, 06:28 AM.

Comment

THANK YOU... i guess if i see save button, i'm just inclined to click it lol! PLUS i know know how to purposely default/roll back on demand. strange though, what we're seeing is when you do hit save, it doesn't go to the same default home page, it seems to cycle through them. but none the less, YES SOLVED - THANKS.

Comment

LOL yours rotates, mine is stuck with home2, go figure

Comment

Working...
                        X