Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any known path constraints on the WP plugin if we use and external dev site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any known path constraints on the WP plugin if we use and external dev site?

Question 1: we prefer to "play" and develop on a non-live site, and then just do a database dump/import to go live. does anyone know of any problems ahead of time we might encounter in doing this? We would be putting this on a non-RSP server and we're not sure if the plugin is URL/path specific.

Question 2: new to WP (we're joomla folk), which is the major config file where we would change the dev-site URL?

Answer to question 2 is wp-config.php in the root dir of the domain...

question 1.... There are resellers hosting the WP themes on non RSP hosting, there have been sparse posts of doing this.... I have never tried it though so thats all I can say, its possible.... Of note... if you move your site to different hosting other than rsp you are going to have to modify some records in your DNS cluster... Hopefully one of the resellers that are doing this type of WP reseller store will jump in and elaborate of this setup... I'd like to know the process as well

Comment

thanks donerite... as usual you'v hit our question straight on. It can be done, and the file to make it happen. The dns is not an issue for us. We'll put a dev site on our webmarietta.net namespace as a subdomain. Then as I said, we'll develop on that site and simply update the database on our live RSP name space. this makes it a simple issue of creating an A record for the subdomain pointing to our off-site dev server. As always, thanks, this forum ROCKS for support and quick answers. hopefully we will soon be able to "pay back" the good will and info!

Cheers.

Comment

Hello,

You can use the ResellersPanel WordPress Plugin regardless of where it is hosted and it will still operate properly as long as outgoing connections are permitted.

The major drawback to that is, that we will not be able to help out with any issues without direct access to the files.

Best Regards,
        Ian Stone

Comment

thanks Ian. this would be for development purposes only. I understand if we encountered a problem, we'd need to push "the problem" live on our free WP plan, at least for a while so you could look at it on YOUR system and help us out. I've already experienced how quickly you guys can sort things out when we were initially setting this up!

Comment

Working...
          X