Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Using Resources - ResellersPanel Discussion

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Resources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Resources

I'm going to ramble for 4 necessary paragraphs before I get to the point, which is to respond to the assertion (I read it in a thread on this board) that putting 10 clients on one Corporate hosting plan isn't wise. To skip the BS, scroll down 4 paras.

I'm new to the RSP. I have 1 client after a few days. I've been able to get one client functioning effectively on the Internet as a result of my sales and support abilities. Within 6 hours of my sale (using the free store template I selected) I had my client's Web site functioning on the Web under the Domain name I sold him, resolving to his new Domain Name. After many years owning my own Domain, and having registered with three different registrars and hosting companies, I'm amazed at the speed of implementation achieved for this client by RSP on my behalf.

IRSP helped me resolve problems installing an old cgi script for my customer, and got me through the wire with my own new domain mail. At Support, Dimitar told me, after checking the functionality of my email for me, that it was all working correctly, and the problem lay with my ISP He suggested I phone them for the support I needed. I disputed this, asserting (politely, of course) that I have other personal domain mail working fine with Outlook Express, so the problem MUST BE with their end . . . but realizing we'd met a dead end, I thanked Dimitar and bid him "Good day."

Then I called my ISP. I could receive mail to the new Domain mail, but I couldn't send. My ISP gave me new POP and smtp settings for this account, and voila, my new Domain email worked! Dimitar was right. I'm impressed with the Support team.</i>

I'm disappointed in the quality of the stats available to my clients through the control panel. That's the only negative criticism I have. Maybe there are decent stats available I haven't found?

It was stated that 10 client accounts on one hosting account wouldn't be wise, since there would only be one control panel, and storage and bandwidth resources would be (unfairly?) distributed over all ten clients.

Well, my experience is that everyone in the hosting plan has access to the control panel, and through it, control over the administration of his/her domain. I presume that on one hosting account, all clients have dirrerent usernames and passwords, and were I to buy a hosting account, I'd have mine for that account. I'd also have my client's usernames and passwords, to facilitate me in providing support. Clients don't have my username and password. I like that arrangement because after many years of Domain administration on the Internet, I trust me. I don't necessarily trust my clients, except insofar as the terms and conditions express. That suits me fine. With RSP's help I can live up to my end of the deal. That's why I'm in business.

My experience is that bandwidth usage is measured and usage stats are provided through the control panel. Should any client on the hosting plan exceed a contracted allotment of bandwidth, they will be billed individually for the excess, so the fairness of resources sharing is built into the plan. The shared resources are even more equitable because the wholesale cost to the reseller of extra bandwidth is more than reasonable with the RSP.

If my experience proves naive; if I'm simply mistaken in what I've said, I post this with confidence I'll be duly informed of my error.

Thank you,

William Cox

wmcox@gainesville.com
    Last edited by Guest; 01-02-2006, 02:19 AM.

I could be wrong, but I believe once you are out of bandwidth your site is disabled for the remainder of the month unless you purchase more bandwidth.
    That seems to be going practice now days as many people would complain if they were sent a bill for bandwidth overusage. 400gb of bandwidth is alot of bandwidth to go through in a months time though. I currently host 2 sites on my account for friends plus one of my own sites and so far I have barely sc****d 1 gig off that 400gb quota this month, and all 3 sites are getting a fair amount of traffic.

Adam

Comment

hi, I'm not sure, but the way I read Alpha36's post. There may be some misunderstanding, There is only one client on a corporate account. And that client can host 10 domains on the one account. Not 10 clients on a account.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha36
        1)everyone in the hosting plan has access to the control panel, and through it, control over the administration of his/her domain.
        2)I presume that on one hosting account, all clients have dirrerent usernames and passwords,
        3) and were I to buy a hosting account, I'd have mine for that account. I'd also have my client's usernames and passwords, to facilitate me in providing support. Clients don't have my username and password.
        1)Yes, all 10 clients would have access to the control panel.

2)No, there would only be ONE set of username and password, each client would use that same username and password to log in. This would give one client the abilitity to alter the settings of the other clients. (NOT a wise thing to do)

3)Yes, you would have a different username and password, keeping your clients away from your own control panel and yes, you would have access to their control panel.

To conclude, that is not the purpose of the corporate package. It is for ONE client to host up to 10 of his own domains, as roboba pointed out.

Comment

Good responses, thanks!

Since making the original post I've purchased the Corporate account and am very pleased with it.

I understand fully that the Corporate hosting account is designed to fill the needs of one organization, with one control panel administering 10 domains. Since anyone possessing the username/password of the domain control panel can administer any of the domains in the account, you are correct, Phantom and roboba, it wouldn't be wise to grant access to 10 separate domain administrators to control of the domains of one another.

That means if I decide to sell domain names and space and bw from the allotments I have in my account, I'll not only share those resources with my clients, but I'll also have to provide all their technical support. RSP support staff supports me, but they don't know my clients from Adam -- so RSP owes them nothing, especially not their valuable time.

If I'm going to clients use my space and bandwidth, I'll need to monitor them closely, of course. I could can do that for 10 clients, but I wouldn't want to do that with a large number of clients, so if that were my intent, I'd need to find a reseller program which would support my clients. I haven't found such a program yet. Is that the cPanel program?

Again, thank you for your comments.

William Cox
          CombatVetsWeb.com
          Last edited by Guest; 03-02-2006, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Since making the original post I've purchased the Corporate account and am very pleased with it.

I understand fully that the Corporate hosting account is designed to fill the needs of one organization, with one control panel administering 10 domains. Since anyone possessing the username/password of the domain control panel can administer any of the domains in the account, you are correct, Phantom and roboba, it wouldn't be wise to grant access to 10 separate domain administrators to control of the domains of one another.

That means if I decide to sell domain names and space and bw from the allotments I have in my account, I'll not only share those resources with my clients, but I'll also have to provide all their technical support. RSP support staff supports me, but they don't know my clients from Adam -- so RSP owes them nothing, especially not their valuable time.

If I'm going to clients use my space and bandwidth, I'll need to monitor them closely, of course. I could can do that for 10 clients, but I wouldn't want to do that with a large number of clients, so if that were my intent, I'd need to find a reseller program which would support my clients. I haven't found such a program yet. Is that the cPanel program?

Again, thank you for your comments.

William Cox
            CombatVetsWeb.com

Alpha36, we will provide support for all 10 domains hosted in a Corporate plan. However, hosting more than one user in a Corporate plan is still not a good idea. Other than the negatives that were already mentioned by other forum members, you should also keep in mind the following thing. If one of the users in the account makes something that violates our Terms and Conditions of service, the whole account will be blocked, blocking access to the sites of the other users hosted in the account as well.
            I do not see why you should not sell separate Business or Corporate plans to your clients, as this is the purpose of the free reseller program. We provide the customer support for all web hosting accounts purchased under the free reseller program.
            With the cPanel reseller accounts technical support is available only to the reseller and it is responsibility of the reseller to provide technical support to his customers.

Comment

Agreed!

I fully understand and agree with what you've said, Milen.

Thank you very much for your input. No indeed, I would not want to have my Corporate account blocked because someone other than me broke the TOA.

You did very well putting that into perspective, and I appreciate it.

Comment

if that's what you're looking at...

you may want to consider a cpanel account instead. there is a monthly expense, true, but it doesn't take long to make it back up, you can size the accounts howerver you like, you price however you like, and the cpanel accounts have better stats packages available. plus, each client only has access to his/her own resources and you won't be getting questions regarding what stuff means that doesn't belong to them. plus, if i were your client, i would totally FLIP OUT as soon as i realized other people have access to my domain. which i would know because i would have access to other's domains.

on stats- i have one client i wanted to move to the free program so she could have her tech support going to a 24/7 team instead of calling me, who isn't all that 24/7. but the free program isn't suitable for her specifically because of the stats. so we're maintaining the status quo, with her on my cpanel acct. instead.

if you want better stats, though, you can download the raw access logs and use them in whatever analyzer program you prefer.

Comment

Goddess_dix: Thank you very much for your reply. The stats are very important. I think I can get the raw logs from my control panel, but what on earth is an analyzer? Like a spreadsheet program? I don't do spreadsheets . . . are there other options for use of the raw logs?
                  A statistics analyzer is a program that presents the raw access log files in a user-friendly way as well as offers the chance to organize and view the website statistics based on different types of criteria. For example, the statistics analyzer that we use and that is available with each web hosting account under the free reseller program is called Webalyzer. However, some customers and resellers prefer to use other statistics analyzer programs like AWStats.

Comment

Frustrating

I downloaded the AWSTATS application, loaded it to my server, and then looked at the instructions for configuring it. Jeez, the configuration is way over my head. I guess I'm stuck for now with no decent stats program because I can't configure the best one available from Open Source. Any suggestions?

Comment

Sorry, not from me.

More importantly though, it would be a nice addition to RSP. I think it blows Webalizer away. And, if you are competing against cPanel hosting, most of those come standard with AWStats, Webalizer, and Analog.

Good luck.

Comment

I would recommend using the third party service "StatCounter" (Statcounter.com)

Comment

Stats

Identity, thanks for your agreement! Yes, it would be a great addition to our services package!

Cardine, I checked out StatCounter.com and their "free" stats aren't any better than what we already have! They give basic stats only on the free version! Thanks for your suggestion, however.

Comment

I personally use:
                            I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

It is free, the code is hidden in your site and you can see who is viewing your website live.

Hope this helps,
                            Regards,

Comment

Working...
                            X