Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• becoming a reseller, currently a client of a reseller

Here's the speil ...
    I am a client of someone who is a reseller.
    Web hosting was always a side project for them (something that they mentioned to me in a facebook post).
    In past 6 months they have let things fall apart.

Going to their website gives a 404 error (due to them misconfiguring their website/dns).
    It's been like this for last 10 days.
    this is the 2nd time it has happened. Back in may 2014, same thing. That time, i alerted them to it by facebook.

this is very annoying, as i use their website to be able to login to my control panel ....
    currently, the only way for me to login to my a/c is VIA cp.supremecenter300.com

So ....
    it got me wondering, about becoming a reseller myself.
    As i have afew sites + my own business website + manage a website for a friend's small business.

1.) would it be an easy process to transfer things over?
    I'm guessing things would be done slightly differently than a normal migration .... as domains, etc would still be with the same register.

while i don't really desire to go behind the current resellers back,
    their standard of service is below par, since they don't maintain their domain.
    it has me worried - and i would feel uneasy with leaving my hosting with such a person.

If you wish to remain friendly with the reseller you could get them to sign you up as an affiliate reseller. This means that any sales you go on to make, they get a commission which is 10% of the sale. (It costs you nothing, the commission is taken from RSP profits) This might be enough to keep them happy and let you take your account under your own umbrella or brand. I know as a reseller I would be happy with this solution.

Once you are a reseller you can order services at the cheaper wholesale prices (as all resellers can do). Then ask your old reseller to ask RSP to transfer your account over to your new resellers account. You can renew at wholesale prices and also start to bring in your own clients, yourself.

If the reseller in question is not willing to talk about it, let us know. There are other ways around it, but I think this would be the best solution for you both.

Comment

Clivejo : thanks for the quick reply.

The reseller seemed like a fair and reasonable person when I chatted to him on facebook back in May 2014 - so I'd imagine he would be onside with such an approach.

As the reseller personally said to me, web hosting, etc was always a side project for him (from his responses, he gave the impression that he was young, possibly still in high school).
      Will draw up something to send him.

From a client's perspective,
      It's very scary - when you go to login VIA your hosting website ... and all you see is a 404 not found page ... and for it to be like that for 2 weeks running !!!
      You go into panic mode, thinking that the webhost has collapsed, especially - like me, you run a business VIA your website. Then, for it to happen not once, but 2 times within 6 months.
      It was due to this, that I did more research and discovered that my webhost was a reseller ... it was also how I discovered that I could still login VIA cp.supremecenter300.com even though reseller's website is returning a 404 not found error.

Since I work within IT industry as my day-job + do website design for friends ... branching out into being a reseller, would be a logical step for me.

Thankyou once again.
      stu.

Comment

I can imagine. That would ring alarm bells for me too. Once you become a reseller yourself you have the option to create a Private DNS cluster. This will allow you to brand services such as

members.yourbrand.com - members login
        demo.yourbrand.com - demo of the control panel
        mail.yourbrand.com - mail server address which you can give to clients
        ns1.yourbrand.com - domain name servers

The Private DNS Cluster comes with a special hosting package which allows you to setup a wordpress based resellers store, where you can start to build up your own hosting business. Im assuming your current reseller is using a Wordpress store which is having problems and throwing 404's?

Comment

Hello simplystu, welcome to the forum!

Surely we can help you with that, however we will need more information.

Do provide me with your Hosting Account Username or ID via a PM (Private Message) or open a Ticket from your Hosting Control Panel so we could investigate the situation further!

Basically, if we find out that the Reseller is no longer maintaining their Reseller Website or Reseller Account we can push your Hosting Account under your own Reseller Account.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,
          Tom.

Comment

HI Tom,
            will send off a PM shortly.

I did send a private Facebook msg to the reseller (VIA his Facebook page) yesterday. He is yet to respond.
            Currently, the reseller's hosting website displays a 404 'Object Not Found' page ... and as mentioned, I first noticed it on the 14th of October, and it has been like that ever since.

Regards,
            Stu.

Comment

Quick follow-up.
              1.) Spoke to Tom, and he has looked into things.
              2.) I have also received a reply from the reseller VIA his facebook page ... as mentioned, the reseller has always been a fair and reasonable person to deal with.

Basically, the reseller would be open to me signing up as an affiliate reseller.

Also, the reseller wasn't aware that their website was showing a 404 error. Nor were they aware that it had been like this for acouple of weeks.
              Although, they did mention they were in communication with the RSP as to some other aspects of their hosting.

Moving forward ... what are the steps to sign up as an affiliate reseller?

From my understanding ...
              a.) sign-up as a reseller myself - creating a new account in the process.
              b.) speak to my old reseller to ask RSP to transfer my account over to my new resellers account

Is that correct?

Regards,
              Stu.

Comment

To my knowledge stu all you have do is signup as a reseller then contact rsp with your hosting account details. Rsp should be able to move your hosting account under your reseller account right then..... If you are wanting to signup under another resellers affiliate link you can PM any of the resellers in this forum and they would be happy to provide you with their affiliate link I am sure....

Hope that everything sorts out for you

Comment

Hello.

donerite, basically this is what we do, but only in case the Reseller is no longer in the business, otherwise we would injure them.

This is what I have explained to simplystu.

I will keep an eye on the case though!

Best Regards,
                  Tom.

Comment

Fully understand Tom.... from the gist of the posts stu was making and questions asked, I had gotten the impression the reseller was at the very least neglecting his business.... sorry bout being forward into that direction Tom, did not mean to cause any confusion

Comment

doneritehosting : the reseller is currently going through some issues, they are also in contact with ResellersPanel in trying to work through these issues.

So they are still active. Although I must say, their website is still showing a 404 error (it's been like this for almost 3 weeks now).
                      This means that they can't gain any new business, also it would certainly be hurting them in terms of Google rankings, if and when the reseller gets their website up and running again.

I am also in contact with the reseller VIA their Facebook page.
                      The last time we spoke, the reseller was ok with myself setting up an account and becoming an affiliate reseller under them (as well as moving my current hosting to my new resellers account). I am now waiting on the reseller to contact ResellersPanel and initiate this action.

It's only been 2 days since I last contacted the reseller - so need to give it abit more time.
                      Will update when I have more news.
                      Last edited by simplystu; 04-11-2014, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Glad its getting worked out stu

Comment

Working...
                        X