alternate port for SMTP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternate port for SMTP

Can we get alternate port for SMTP servers? Some ISPs block port 25.

Yea, many do but they have said they will not open up other ports according to other questions.

Comment

Which ISP's are blocking port 25?

Comment

Well my old one did Earthlink, I'm not sure if my host does now. I don't use POP currently I use AOL so they have their email built into their web-client.

Comment

Can't think of anyone using Earthlink I would have sent emails to using my hosting account so that is completely possible. However, I have only seen 1 or 2 people using a port other than 25 in their hosting account and I do a boat load of script installations. Port 25 is a common mail port... why block it?

Comment

Who knows but if I remember their response it was because alot of spammers send through it or something of the type. Nevermind after searching the internet you find the list of companies that block it. AOL my email provider blocks it this is what they said it's the same thing Earthlink told me...
            • This will help prevent virus-infected computers from sending unsolicited email.
            • Many viruses use Port 25 to propagate themselves and to spam other users.
            • Port 25 is setup without authentication (using a username and password) by default.
            • Open relays often send out from port 25.

Comment

I guess some of that is true except for the authentication. Mosts hosts require authentication anymore.

Just another reason I think AOL sucks.

Comment

Yes! in my country "Bangladesh", every ISP blocks port 25...
                I have a VPS where I configured port 26 as an alternate SMTP port.
                If RSP allow us to use alternate port then it will be very useful for us.

Comment

I raied this numerous times in the past with RSP, and they will not open another port as it is a security issue. I use my own SMTP server locally to do it instead. Then it does'n't matter what connection i'm on.

Comment

We've enabled port 2525 on our mail cluster. Feel free to use it

Best Regards,
                    Kalin Blaskoff

Comment

Greatly appreciated Kalin...

Shows once again how RSP listens to their customers responses and problems. For being such a huge company that is something to be very proud of.

Comment

WOW !!! Awesome!!! after all the trouble i had trying to convince the release of a new port, YAY .

Comment

Yea, we have had this brought up before but it was never passed but now it has... :-)

Comment

So, what's the benefit of having this alternate port? When you say ISPs block port 25, does it mean that e-mails from our servers would never get through to other people or we wouldn't be able to receive them from others?

Comment

Originally posted by drummerboy View Post
                              So, what's the benefit of having this alternate port? When you say ISPs block port 25, does it mean that e-mails from our servers would never get through to other people or we wouldn't be able to receive them from others?
                              Port 25 is used for outgoing email by default. If your ISP blocks port 25, you would not be able to send email when using a mail client like Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird, etc. while you would still be able to send email through webmail. However, you can now set your mail client to use port 2525 and send email through it, even if your ISP blocks the standard port 25.

Comment

Working...
                              X