Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• download an existing site using Dreamweaver

Hi.

How do I download an existing site for a refurb?

I authored a site using Dreamweaver CS4. My hard-drive later crashed, although I had backed up my local site folder onto an external hard-drive.

I have now refurbed the website in Dreamweaver CS5.5, but obviously I lost the ftp link to your hosted version.

To upload the refurbed site my only option for uploading in Dreamweaver is to create a new site, but I can't even seem to do that. When I enter the existing name for the web-site, to locate the local folder, Dreamweaver gives me a big red cross, presumably indicating that this name is taken already.

If I change the name I am worried that I may not be able to replace the folder your end with my local site folder, I can't overwrite it if I can't find it.

Also, do I still upload to the /public folder, which still contains the old version of the site?

Thank you in advance for any tips

Srnhpp

Do you want to upload to the server or download to your computer??

Go into your control panel to access your ftp information. If it no longer exists make a new one. I would use an ftp client such as FileZilla, you will have greater control than with Dreamweaver.

Keep the old version by creating a different directory and placing the files into that just in case something goes wrong.

Occasionally Dreamweaver is funny about how the site is named in DreamWeaver and won't allow you to create a new site with the same name. That will not be a problem uploading or downloading if you use FileZilla just make sure that you name the directories properly so you can distinguish the two versions.

I hope I gave you enough info to help and didn't confuse you. You can pm me if you need further help.

Comment

I agree. I highly recommend FileZilla. It is the only FTP program that I use. And definitely keep a "backup" copy in case things don't go as planned.

Comment

Working...
      X