Recurring contracts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recurring contracts

The one thing that I do not like about RSP is the Recurring Contracts feature. I believe this should be an opt-in feature and not an opt-out. I just do not like having an account automatically renewed with all the domain names attached to it without a client giving permission to do so.

This has also happened to me, in the past, before I realized what had happened. There are times that I was either on extended vacation or for other reasons away and had domain names that I wanted to expire, automatically renewed without my knowledge. Now, it happened to a client of mine that a domain name she requested be allowed to expire was renewed 6 months before the expiration date. Now, she wants her money back and I have to refund her money from my personal funds to keep her happy.

I think the reseller should have the option to put a client on a Recurring Contract and should not be automatically done by RSP. I am not even sure that a client knows up front that they are going to be put on a recurring payment plan automatically when they purchase an account or domain name.

I think when you decided you want to let any domain expire, you can open a ticket and put special request just to inform them, so that they can do something on their system.

If later still being charged, then you can argue with them.

However, recurring contract is a great feature that let you keep the client.

Comment

It may be a great feature for the person that does the charging, but not necessarily a great feature for the one that is being charged. I don't recall seeing anything that says that you will be charged continuously when you order an account or domain name. I say charged and not billing because billing gives the impression that you have an option to pay or not.

It's not that I disagree with the procedure I only disagree that it is not made clear that you will be charged again and again and especially without recourse in case of a domain name.

I have been with RSP for a number of years now and I don't recall that this was a procedure that was in place in the years past. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that in the past if a client didn't renew, it automatically expired and not automatically renewed.

My relationships with my clients are more than just a supplier of hosting accounts, I provide web design and maintenance services. There are many times that I will order wholesale and bill my clients on my own.

So, today I entered my PayPal account to see if I had any Recurring Contracts with PayPal and RSP. I was surprised to find about 16 of them which I had to cancel. Granted I cannot deny that I did get a notice from PayPal that a recurring contract was set up which I ignored. But I do not recall ever seeing a notice that a recurring contract was been applied when I ordered the accounts or domain names.
      Last edited by vlasi47gr; 23-12-2012, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Nick, are recurring contracts only for Paypal customers? Or will the system automatically renew via a credit card?

Comment

Good question. I don't know. I always pay by PayPal to avoid extra charges that are incurred when I use a credit or debit card.

Comment

Ah I just read somewhere that RSP's payment processor has certain restrictions, and one of them is that they do not store the credit card details, therefore that would make recurring payments impossible.

Originally posted by vlasi47gr View Post
            I always pay by PayPal to avoid extra charges that are incurred when I use a credit or debit card.
            How do you pay Paypal?

Comment

I also accept PayPal for my services so many times funds are in there and available. Also, I am linked to my business bank account so if there isn't enough funds to cover a purchase the difference is automatically drafted from my bank account at no extra charge.

Comment

Could you not offer monthly payments via paypal then?

Comment

Are plans cheaper then if paid for via Paypal rather than by card? If so, by how much?

Comment

RSP doesn't charge less. In the past when I was using my credit/debit card the bank would charge a little since they considered it as an international charge. I guess since RSP is a UK company. But by using PayPal I avoid the bank fees.

Comment

Working...
                    X