Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of Free domain - not taken up!

Hi,

I have to admit to being a bit peeved at the cost of offering a free domain on a hosting plan when the customer does not opt to register a free domain.

As you know a hosting plan’s W/S cost increases by $6 when adding the option of a free domain - and this is fair enough when the customer actually takes up the offer.

But if they don't, - we are still charged the $6

I would have thought the system could be changed to allow the W/S price of the plan to revert back to the normal W/S cost [e.g. less the $6] if the customer did not take advantage of the free domain offer.

The lower price of only $6 from RSP for the domain with a hosting plan is very much appreciated, but resellers are just paying it for nothing if the customer does not utilise it.

Originally posted by index.html View Post
    Hi,

I have to admit to being a bit peeved at the cost of offering a free domain on a hosting plan when the customer does not opt to register a free domain.

As you know a hosting plan’s W/S cost increases by $6 when adding the option of a free domain - and this is fair enough when the customer actually takes up the offer.

I would have thought the system could be changed to allow the W/S price of the plan to revert back to the normal W/S cost [e.g. less the $6] if the customer did not take advantage of the free domain offer.

The lower price of only $6 from RSP for the domain with a hosting plan is very much appreciated, but resellers are just paying it for nothing if the customer does not utilise it.

I'm also facing the same as well. My client upgraded from domain manager to business shared hosting but was not entitled to get free domain. However, the reseller's price still included the $6 domain offer price. Hopefully, RSP will look into this.

Comment

if the client did not register the domain, we will earn $6 extra right ?

why you still want lower the price ?

Comment

Originally posted by wjleong View Post
        if the client did not register the domain, we will earn $6 extra right ?

why you still want lower the price ?
        Wrong!

RSP gets the $6 because it is added to the W/S price of the plan.

Comment

Did your customer say why they dont want the domain?

Maybe you could offer hosting plans without the free domain as well? I have yet to see a reseller marketing these options clearly! Sometimes when a customer owns a domain outside RSP they have paid for 10 years or they want a domain not offered by RSP (for example .ie).

I also have identified that there are customers who want a cheap domain and a cheap hosting package. So why pay $6 for a .we.bs we can get a lot cheaper at W/S?

Comment

Wrong!

RSP gets the $6 because it is added to the W/S price of the plan.

By right it should be our profit!

We should raise up this issue to RSP.

Comment

I don't think that it makes a difference because even if the customer doesn't buy a domain from us they are charged the same price just to transfer their domain over to our servers. At least with the free offer that part would also be free. At least the first year.

Comment

Originally posted by iads View Post
                I don't think that it makes a difference because even if the customer doesn't buy a domain from us they are charged the same price just to transfer their domain over to our servers.
                If your customer transfers a domain in, they will get an extra year added to the registration period, so your still getting a 'free' year of registation. For example say your domain has 7 months left, when its transfer into RSP it will have a 1 year and 7 month before expiry.

Comment

Hi,

Well when a rsp reseller is offering hosting plans with free domains, $6 is added to the wholesale cost of the plan (wholesale of the domain). However as noted when a plan is ordered without the free domain RSP still gets the domain wholesale without having to register a domain thus $6 in profit profit goes 100% to RSP but actually some sort of percentage of that $6 should go to the reseller too to be fair. There should be a way with the api to detect this type of sale and set a division margin between RSP and the reseller. There is no way you can offer free domain hosting plans then offer the same plans without a free domain cheaper on the same website, it wont work.

I'm with you on that index, and have actually been meaning to bring this up sooner or later
                  Last edited by doneritehosting; 01-05-2013, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately the system is written in a way that it won't take two prices for the same product for example the business plan be that without a free domain name or with it.

It will be extremely difficult to change that as it would require a major re-write of the whole billing system.

Those extremely rare occasions when a customer does not take upon the free domain name registration is really nothing to be concerned about. The statistic shows that not more than 1% of new customers do not take advantage of the free domain offer. And some of them do ask our support to get a free domain name registered and inserted in their plan afterwards when they DO realise what a mistake they have made

I will bring this up with our devs but by all means don't get your hopes up as this will most probably be turned down as a request. Still its worth a shot.

Comment

Yan, what if let's reseller request to take back the $6 after 365 days, I mean on the next renewal, if the client did not take the opportunity to register for free domain, the we can request to get back the $6 extra after next renewal.

2nd year one request on 3rd year.

I hope you got my mean.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                      X