Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complaint: Extremely bad MySQL performance

Hey all,

today I want to go public with my issues because I am sick of the games RSP support is playing. I am certainly sure that I am not the only one who is experiencing extreme bad execution times for MySQL queries. It was the case when I had a shared hosting package here for my reseller website, then I upgraded to a Semi-Dedicated package and hoped to resolve that issue. But nothing changed. It is still slow. Non cached pages take between 4 to 9 seconds to load, both on Joomla, WordPress, Prestashop or any other script. Support keeps insisting that everything is normal and comes up with the most ridiculous reasons. One time it is the script I am using, another time it is a spamming attack that is going on (which is not true) and another time it is me who is not able to control my websites properly.

I have written a small PHP script that is executing one MySQL query and displays the execution time the query needed. When I had only a few visitors and no load on my websites (3 active sites on the semi-dedicated package at the moment), I executed the script 10 time. I got the following execution times:

Time: 0.31502509117126 s
    Time: 0.33386707305908 s
    Time: 0.31554698944092 s
    Time: 0.32462406158447 s
    Time: 0.31726598739624 s
    Time: 0.30038499832153 s
    Time: 0.43183898925781 s
    Time: 0.32075595855713 s
    Time: 0.32046604156494 s
    Time: 0.32237195968628 s
    =================
    Average: 0.33021472

Now the average amount of queries per page load that is executed by a CMS is 20 queries. That would be 6.6 seconds alone to execute the SQL queries. Also this is exactly the time my sites need to load uncached. I also had other people have a look and the confirmed that a slow MySQL database server is the reason for the slow sites. The ridiculous thing is that I am paying $20 / mo. here for pretty much nothing. I have hosting accounts on other hosting providers, one of the only costs me 99 cents per month. The average query execution time on their servers is just 0.08 seconds. And guess what? I have a much bigger website on one of them than I have here. It has nearly 3k visitors per day. All is working fine and smooth.

So am I the only one who has such problems and is pissed about it? I guess not. I think only by going public with this issue we can change something. If you are also suffering from bad loading times and want to read out your SQL query times, please contact me through PM. I will then give you the PHP code and you can post the results here.

Regards,

Christopher

I’m sorry I haven’t noticed any problems with MySQL performance. Can you please PM me the code so I have a nosey?

Comment

You are (cough,cough) on a vps clive and you probably would not see what strasser is seeing as he is on semi dedicated (still a shared hosting enviroment)... I will say that before i went vps i experienced some sql server performance issues that were admitted by support on shared hosting. However I would have thought that resolved with the cloud hosting migration.

Strasser, why dont you just (downgrade (lol)) to a openvz vps with hespia for a cheaper price per month? I love it myself.
      Last edited by doneritehosting; 18-08-2013, 04:58 PM.

Comment

But I have clients on shared hosting too and I want to have a nosey into it.

Comment

You can do that even though your reseller site is on a vps?

Comment

Yes, I log in via the reseller panel to fix problems they have. But what Im wondering is if this is a problem with just the US cloud or does it exist on the UK cloud as well. But I’m pretty certain if there was the delay detailed above I would have noticed it by now!

Comment

Maybe you should try it then clive. I experienced sql server overloads myself. I upgraded from a starter plan to a vps because of that. It took forever to update my wp reseller site on the starter plan, I believe I chatted with you about that once upon a time ago.

Of curiosity where is strasser???

Comment

I believe he is in the UK. I wonder are his accounts in the UK too

Comment

@ Tom
                  Did you ever get any information of this issue and if true was it resolved?

Enquiring minds want to know

Comment

He seems to be complaining about slow query times, not being limited by running too many. I have not had an answer back from him either as I wanted to see his test scripts.

Comment

Hi everyone,

sorry for my late response. I was on vacation. I have switched to a VPS meanwhile, all is running fine over there. But I have still access to a shared hosting account here, so I can still test if something has changed. So far this is not the case.

Comment

StrasserC,
                        Have you contacted Tom Alexander with the information he asked for so this could be checked into?

Comment

Well I finally got around to running your script and my results are :

Time: 0.67336797714233 s

However, your script is NOT running one query!! Its running two very intensive queries!!

Code:
                          SELECT BENCHMARK(1000000,ENCODE('hello','goodbye'));
                          The query is testing the processing on the MySQL server. Its encrypting a string (This is hugely CPU intensive!) But its doing it 1,000,000 times!!

Code:
                          BENCHMARK(10000, (SELECT * FROM mytable));
                          This query is fetching all records from the 'mytable' table. Not just once but 10,000 times!

To be totally honest with you, running these two highly intensive queries in 0.7 seconds is impressive

Comment

Also, the problem with ENCODE is that it depends what MySQL version is running. Later versions seem to take longer.
                            Last edited by clivejo; 10-09-2013, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X