• Show
Clear All

• New Dropbox Backup feature in Hepsia CP

Click image for larger version

Name:	dropbox.png
Views:	242
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	54687

We have been discussing this on another thread, but I thought it might help to create a new thread for it. I still have not used the feature as yet, but would like to hear how other people have got on with it. I have a few questions if anyone knows the answer please feel free to post on this thread.

1) Is the service a backup service only, or does it sync data between the two. (ie change a file on the dropbox account and it changes in your hosting account.)
    2) Can you schedule the backup by time, ie 4am in the morning
    3) If you have a VPS, for example, with a limit on the bandwidth, does the backup count towards your quota? (ie 300Gb limit)
    Attached Files

I have it set up on my system, but it doesn't seem to be working. I set up a Dropbox account and followed all of the directions including syncing it to my desktop, but I am not getting the backups. You have some good questions that I also want to know the answers to.

Also, as I read the PDF instructions it seems to be more then a backup system. It's also a file sharing system and a cloud storage file system like IDrive.

Edit: I take what I said earlier back about it not working. I guess that it just takes time to kick in. The domains are now automatically syncing to my computer.
    Last edited by iads; 02-10-2013, 09:38 PM.

Comment

@clivejo
      I have not seen a way to schedule specific times for backups to be made and I do not know if it counts towards your bandwidth quota. Far as the vps bandwidth quota if you create your own backups and download them it counts against it and if you pay rsp for backups I believe that covers 5gb for $5.00 a month. For 9.99 a month you can backup almost 10 ovz01 vps's completely with no problems using the dropbox app, not a bad deal there if you are willing to restore them yourself. The system itself seems to work good but I think it can be confusing as far as sql backups..

Website backups are stored in a folder with the domain name... very easy to follow
      Sql backups are stored in a folder with only the specific database name and no association with the domain it belongs to which could be confusing when backing up multiple database driven websites unless notes are taken of database ownership.

@iads
      I did not set mine up to sync with my notebook, its enough for me to be able to download them on demand for restore. I did forget to mention that it takes a while to generate backups after setup in the other thread And yup I also gather that it is a file sharing service from the pdf. I do like the peace of mind of having backups automatically generated and stored off site and backups of the two sites currently hosted on my vps has hardly scratched the free 2 gb of space.

Comment

So if you ever had to restore, you would have to download from Dropbox and re-upload the files back into your hosting account? Or is there a Restore from Backup option somewhere?

Comment

Have not seen a restore feature anywhere clivejo so I am assuming that that at present you have to download and upload the files to your hosting account yourself. Restoring backups also would be a neat feature to add to the app along with custom scheduling.

Comment

For me personally it would be nice to have a "Resellers Drive", so when I log into an account in reseller mode I could access it and use the drive to transfer files around and backup certain important files (ie database, uploaded files etc)

Comment

If they implement such a system it would take a bite of of the backup system that they now offer at a cost. Note: There is nothing wrong with making a buck or two...
              Last edited by iads; 25-10-2013, 05:57 PM.

Comment

• doneritehosting
                doneritehosting commented
                Editing a comment
                In a one way it would iads however when rsp performs backup restoration by their staff its just a support ticket away and most clients prefer hassle free service like that with no worries of performing it themselves. It is also just nice to know that you have current offsite backups in the cloud for the rare chance something might go wrong.
                Last edited by doneritehosting; 04-10-2013, 10:24 PM.

I wouldnt mind paying for a "resellers drive", if it would allow me to better serve my customer base.

Comment

• doneritehosting
                Editing a comment
                It would be a very neat addition to the reseller panel for sure clivejo

Hello.

Originally posted by clivejo View Post
              For me personally it would be nice to have a "Resellers Drive", so when I log into an account in reseller mode I could access it and use the drive to transfer files around and backup certain important files (ie database, uploaded files etc)
              Could you please explain more about this idea?

I cannot fully understand it, sorry.

Is it about backing up the content for your clients?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

BR,
              Tom.

Comment

• clivejo
                clivejo commented
                Editing a comment
                In my mind it would be something like a Dropbox, but available to resellers. So when I log into my resellers panel I can see it and upload/download files to it, using the familiar file manager interface.

Also, when I log in as reseller and then log into one of my clients accounts in 'reseller mode', I imagine it appearing in the file manager as a folder called "Resellers Drive". This would allow me to take MySQL backups and backup important files to it. But it would also allow me to keep PHP scripts on it and be able to deploy them quickly and easy into a new customers account, or when updating existing files.

An example is the webtrees (online genealogy) script. They update it about once a month and upgrading it requires me to FTP into each install and do each one manually, a process I do not enjoy. If I had a quick and easy way of updating I could take on more clients. At the moment its just impossible to do on a limited, internet connection.

Another idea. if RSP didnt want to be hosting a file storage system, would be to actually use the dropbox service, but allow the service to be mounted in the file manager. This would be handy for resellers, or indeed all Hepsia CP users, who have created a backup using your current Drop Box feature and wish to restore files from a previous backup.
                Last edited by clivejo; 07-10-2013, 02:10 PM.

Tom, Im not sure if you spotted the question on the other thread, so Ill re-ask as I'm curious too!!

In the current implementation of Drop Box Backup, can you also backup the mail folder? So that we can backup IMAP boxes?

Comment

• doneritehosting
                Editing a comment
                You are a lifesaver clivejo thanks for picking this one up

Yippeeeee, cant wait to see it in action! Thanks for letting us know Yan

Comment

ditto! is this to be implemented on vps / dedicated accounts with hespia too yan?

Comment

I would think so donerite, it would be rolled out for Hepsia across the board.

BTW did you ever check the version of your VPS?? All the reading material suggests that Hepsia only works on CentOS !!

Yan, is this correct?
                  Last edited by clivejo; 10-10-2013, 09:22 PM.

Comment

• doneritehosting
                    Editing a comment
                    Most certainly clivejo ubuntu-10.04-x86_64 is the OS. If I remember correctly, I did request this install personally with support but a ubuntu install with openvz and hespia is also available from my reseller order form. I have a support ticket filed to verify the os version as well.

Reply from support:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

The current OS on the VPS is : ubuntu-10.04-x86_64

Best Regards,
                    Adrian Trend
                    Last edited by doneritehosting; 10-10-2013, 11:11 PM. Reason: Additional Information

The dropbox backup works great! I love it.

Thanks,
                  Casey

Comment

• iads
                    iads commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agreed. So far so good. But I haven't had chance to use one of the back up file yet...but they are being made on time every day.
                Working...
                X