Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

assign static IP to muliple domains across hosting accts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• assign static IP to muliple domains across hosting accts?

currently we have our free WP hosting account in an automatically generated user account. We are wanting to ADD (not upgrade) a Business Hosting account within this same user account - result, ONE user account with two hosting accounts, Free RSP WP and a Business.

Objective: to cover all domains in our hosting account(s) with as few static IP's as possible.

Question 1:. If we purchase ONE static IP - in either the free reseller WP or Business account, will that single IP be available for assignment to the domain(s) in the other hosting account or would we need TWO IP's, one to cover the domain in FREE RSP WP, and one for the domains in our Business hosting account?

Question 2: (this is more of a verification question based on something we read in the DNS Cluster TOS) As an alternate to above scenario, could we move the "hosting" or our Free RSP WP site to our Business Account (this preserving the free account) and host it under our newly purchased Business plan and then cover all of our domains with a single static IP on this business plan. Of course we need to preserve the integrity of our DNS cluster in the process.

- thanks guys. the answers will help us do this right the FIRST time!

Unfortunately, it is not possible for a single username to have two accounts attached to it.

This automatically rules out your first question, however if you opt-in to purchase another hosting account, it will come with a shared IP (You can still order a Dedicated IP and assign it to the domains in that account) of its own available for the domains that will be hosted there.

The IP will not be interchangeable between the accounts, though.

Regarding your second question, where the domain that has a DNS Cluster attached to it is hosted, makes no difference to the integrity of the Cluster as long as the domain is hosted with the “Do not manage DNS” option, although you may have to change the A Records in the DNS Cluster to point to the new hosting account.

Best Regards,
    Ian Stone

Comment

Thanks Ian, boy was i off base... i read the "add Account" on the left of my control panel as it would be in THAT account. Now i see every hosting plan has a unique user. That indeed moves me to my second question.

We'll do the separate Business plan, move our free WP to be hosted there, pick up a static IP and assign to all domains there!

Comment

Why dont you just get a VPS plan? This will "share" the assigned IP with all domains hosted on this plan. If you then have a "special" domain (say you want to enable SSL) you could order a separate IP for that one.

The problem with shares plans is that you might be sharing the IP with other unrelated sites. This can look bad to anyone researching your domain and brand. You can use a tool, like the one at the following URL to check what other websites are sharing your IP.

This tool performs a reverse IP domain check which takes the domain name or IP address of a web server and searches for other sites known to be hosted on that same web server. Data is gathered from search engine results, which is not guaranteed to be complete. Knowing the other web sites hosted on a web server is important from both an SEO and web filtering perspective, particularly for those on shared web hosting plans.

Comment

Thanks clivejo! I think we can save a few bucks and still achieve the objective with the shared Business plan with a dedicated IP address (sorry, i think i said "static" above). The scope of this "plan" is to simply host a couple mirrored "failover" enterprise sites that won't get hit often, only when primary sites are down. Additionally we'll use it as a dev location as well. And you are absolutely right about "looking bad", thats why we need the dedi IP whichever way we go. There's no problem with our enterprise sites sharing an IP.

As far as a "special site" with SSL, we'll probably put addon domains UNDER the main domain (subfolders) and do a self-signed SSL on the main domain so we can protect all the CMS logins as well by accessing at https://maindomain.com/seconddomain/admin. Again this is dev and secondary use so the self-signed is no prob either, we just want the encryption.

Let me know if you think we're going the wrong direction and always keep the ideas coming. We appreciate each one!

-BTW, cool tool, we hadn't seen that particular one before, have bookmarked... better than what we've been using!

Comment

FYI, doing some preliminary playing with the special "shared IP" for SSL's and creating self signed SSL's on our main domain before we spring for a dedi IP for it. WORKS LIKE A CHARM, one of the easiest self-signed processes we've run across. Now, after applying a little .htaccess rewrite, our login and admin areas are FORCED to https and self-signed SSL easily imported into browsers (IE and CHROME) - yes we know the limitations of self-signed.. its only for our secure usage of our back-end... so to speak.

We're loving it here!

Comment

"We're loving it here!"

Told you so

May the account migrations commence LMAO!!

Comment

Originally posted by doneritehosting View Post
                May the account migrations commence LMAO!!
                funny you should say that... we bought out a small reseller that had a VPS at Hostgator with the obvious plan of migrating them off. With the timing involved we figured we'd put them all on our GD brand, not thinking we'd be ready here soon enough but things have progressed well quickly enough here we're comfortable slating a few over here right off the bat... Especially ones with Cpanel Email... we'll just sit back and let the RSP guys do it! ... also we'll probably eliminate our third party hosting with WestHost. They been GREAT but between our GD and RSP platforms we no longer need them nor the expense.

Comment

Like we chatted of... you are never gonna have problems with RSP's hosting services or support..... best I have seen..

What is really cool now is like most other hosting providers rsp has a 2gig limit on email storage.... but... RSP has a binary storage upgrade for off site files starting at 100gb and email storage is upgraded accordingly with this upgrade... so binary storage upgrade keeps a client from upgrading to and managing a vps because of large email accounts...
                  Last edited by doneritehosting; 29-05-2014, 09:08 PM.

Comment

How about for this year please. Is there a plan to increase the storage limit by any chance?

Comment

Smells a bit spammy to me!

Comment

Hello.

The E-Mail Storage has been increased already.

As per our Terms of Service:

Become a hosting reseller with no initial investments. Sell cloud web hosting at low prices with the help of our private-label reseller program.

"Each email account is entitled to 10 GB of storage space, while all active email accounts under a hosting account must not exceed 40 GB in size."

Best Regards,
                        Tom.

Comment

Originally posted by clivejo View Post
                          Smells a bit spammy to me!
                          Yeah... just Google its Username.

Comment

Good enough reason for me!!

Comment

Working...
                            X