Cyber Squatting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyber Squatting

I have a client who is interested in a domain, however it is currently registered to a company in the United States and is "for sale" and has been for a few years now. I made enquiries and they said that it is a premium domain name and is valued at $500 which I was quite surprised at. Basically it wouldn’t be of any value to anyone unless they lived in this area and my client is interested in it for a community, non-for-profit type website.

Doesn’t ICANN have rules on this sort of thing?
    Last edited by clivejo; 28-10-2014, 12:25 PM.

there is a fine line between "cyber squatting" (your're right.... regulated to some degree) and "speculation". I suppose unless the domain has your client's trade name or something to the like within the domain name, it's probably just domaining (speculation). - just my best guess.

Comment

"whistle while you backorder"

Comment

Hello.

Unfortunately there is nothing you could do except paying the "ransom" or waiting for the Domain to be dropped.

These are companies that do bulk Domain Registrations and sell them later.

Since you have shown interest in the Domain I think that they will not let it expire ever.

My 2 cents, of course.

Best Regards,
        Tom.

Comment

Yeah, I'm getting that feeling too Tom. I have dropped eNom an email about it saying that basically they are breaching eNom's T&C's and also the USA Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (ACPA), so will be interesting to see what eNom do!

There are a few combinations we could use, but as that one was already established, it would be the best choice. I bet who ever let it expire is kicking themselves!

Comment

Working...
          X