Changing url of main store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing url of main store

I also posted this question to support, but since I haven't posted here much lately I thought that I'd put it here also. Note: Support has not failed me on this, I guess that I'm just in the mood to type the question twice.

I am trying to re-brand. I would like to change the url of my main/first store (iads)from i****dvanced.com to mixedhosting.com. I would like all accounts associated with i****dvanced.com to now be associated with mixedhosting.com without any interruption or changes in service.

I will be using i****dvanced.com for another project, so any new sign up and log ins must go through mixedhosting.com and not be effected when i****dvanced.com is gone.

I will change the graphics and wording after I learn to do the change over. Thank you for your time and energy.

PS: I do have a custom DNS package.

I've never done this (not with rsp) but all that should be involved is registering or transfering the new domain with rsp and requesting that I****.com be removed from your dns cluster and mixedhosting.com be added to the current dns cluster and for rsp to adjust all dns settings to reflect the new domain..... I did have this done with another company and that is how it worked..

Comment

Yup I did forget to mention a lengthy downtime cuz of the changes to the dns.... Whoops....

Comment

my suggestion

inform your customer you (your domain) has been acquired (or merge, or bought) your new brand (new domain), now is transition period and request them to change the new setting. And give them a long enough period (let's say 1 month), and remind them every week, in last week remind them daily via email.

after that, turn off your old brand and put a simple html page to say domain owner please contact hosting blah3...

then after some time, (let's say 2 weeks), turn down your old domain and leave it blank.

after another 2 weeks, use on your new project.

this probably a good idea for your clients that won't complaint that much due to the hosting (you) suddenly change the mind to rebrand and use the current (old) domain for something else.

Comment

Thank you all for the input. I will move ahead with yav0r's suggestions.

Comment

UPDATE:

So far so good. I changed the main url, disabled custom dns, and re-branded all of the graphics and wording. None of my over 60 sites have gone down so far. The test sites are still working, and I've gotten no complaints so far.

I've not disassociated the old url from the site yet, but as I said I have disable custom dns, and am now using RSP servers. I think that I was saved a lot of trouble because my reseller site was i****dvanced.com while the custom dns was set to i****dvanced.net... I will check with support to see if this is true.

Comment

Originally posted by iads View Post
              I will check with support to see if this is true.
              Hello.

Kind of... actually the three sets of NameServers - .com, .net and our Shared NameServers are resolving to the same IPs.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with!

Best Regards,
              Tom.

Comment

Working...
              X