Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenVZ VPS + CentOS + DirectAdmin and User quota

When selling / buying: OpenVZ VPS + CentOS + DirectAdmin

Are user quota enabled for the OpenVZ VPS container by default?

Or should I take action after I get the VPS, to enable it?
    If so which action?

I just ordered vzO1 with hespia for my reseller site... Quotas for the plan were implemented on activation of the vps (upgrade)... No further action is needed.

Comment

Thats good news

Thanks for replying.

Thats good news. I aslo got VZ01 (OpenVZ) and on my VPS quota where not enabled :-(

Things didn't went smooth with the setup. I ordered 32 bit OS, I got 64 bit.
      I could not access DirectAdmin which was fixed promptly. :-)

My serial console access is still broken :-(
      User Quota are disabled :-(

I discovered this when I setup a new user or reseller in DirectAdmin, user quota are not enabled.

Problem is that I already tried with three different tickets to get this fixed. For these tickets I keep getting Elle Burns as support agent and he is just referring to the DirectAdmin help site. He just doesn't get what the real problem is. Disk quota is not enabled on the VPS container

I my third ticket I asked him when I order a new VPS with CentOs and DirectAdmin if user quota are enabled on the VPS.

I guess he is not familiar with the concept as he answers "I am not exatly sure about what you mean by "user quota"" .........
      I explained him in more depth hoping he gets it now. And that a OpenVZ admin has to take action to fix it.

I so want to enjoy my new VPS and really like the ResselerPanel concept.

But having user disk space quota not enabled and a tech support that doesn't get it, nor get the issue with the serial console, and keeps thinking in the wrong direction, is a real deal breaker for me.....
      Last edited by Bart; 27-02-2013, 05:24 AM. Reason: Improving text

Comment

Be patient Bart,
        Everything happens for a reason..
        I reupped my private dns and domain about 2 weeks ago.. I lost my branded subdomain links for the control panel demo and domain demo right after I re upped. several support tckets submitted to get those links fixed. No go

2 days ago I upgrade to vzO1 for my reseller site... super fast too. Working in wp-admin is a pleasure now But.. No Email. At all. And I'm on private dns.. well during our support chat Elle discovers my cluster has been disabled and re-enables it. After I delete the cache and refresh account info from the rsp plugin...walla I have branded control panel demos again. Right now I can send email from my business email (better).. I hope after a couple of hours I can receive mail (best) Other than that I will have to work with support again.. but I did get something fixed this time that was overlooked by a previous support rep.. Just be patient and work with them.. They will work with you..

BTW.. I got 64bit Ubuntu with hespia

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
          Thanks for replying.

Thats good news. I aslo got VZ01 (OpenVZ) and on my VPS quota where not enabled :-(

I could not access DirectAdmin which was fixed promptly. :-)

My serial console access is still broken :-(
          User Quota are disabled :-(

I discovered this when I setup a new user or reseller in DirectAdmin, user quota are not enabled.

Problem is that I already tried with three different tickets to get this fixed. For these tickets I keep getting Elle Burns as support agent and he is just referring to the DirectAdmin help site. He just doesn't get what the real problem is. Disk quota is not enabled on the VPS container

I my third ticket I asked him when I order a new VPS with CentOs and DirectAdmin if user quota are enabled on the VPS.

I guess he is not familiar with the concept as he answers "I am not exatly sure about what you mean by "user quota"" .........
          I explained him in more depth hoping he gets it now. And that a OpenVZ admin has to take action to fix it.

I so want to enjoy my new VPS and really like the ResselerPanel concept.

But having user disk space quota not enabled and a tech support that doesn't get it, nor get the issue with the serial console, and keeps thinking in the wrong direction, is a real deal breaker for me.....
          If you're from US, UK or AU, just drop a call to them, although they will still referring you back to open a support ticket, but you can explain your issue to them, may be they can explain to their colleagues as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
            Can I ask why you chose to install 32-bit OS?

Comment

Originally posted by clivejo View Post
              32bit os use lesser RAM.

Comment

But surely that's cutting your nose off to spite your face? Would a 32bit OS running on top of 64bit hardware not be slower in the end up?

Comment

Support not geting the concept of OpenVZ container configuration

Originally posted by doneritehosting View Post
                  Be patient Bart,

---snip----

Just be patient and work with them.. They will work with you..

Happy that your problem got solved.

I just read the response on my ticket. As a last resort I had researched how the OpenVZ quota mechanism works. And how a OpenVZ admin can switch it on and off for an individual VPS.

That was easy to find it all on the OpenVZ wiki http://wiki.openvz.org/User_Guide/Ma..._for_Container

In my ticket I politely explained Mr Burns this mechanism, did point him to the link and pointed out that it was turned off on my VPS. I also asked him how I could get it turned on.

He politely answered:
                  -----

After reviewing the OpenVZ wiki you referred to, I have to say that I don't see why this cannot be set via SSH root access to the VPS. All commands provided are linux commands that can be run from a command line with root access.

In fact, you also are a OpenVZ administrator and you have full access to the VPS. The credential information for the platform are included in the Welcome Email.

---------

Mind you we are talking OpenVZ and OpenVZ containers and Mr Burns being a tech support doesn't get the difference between the VPS admin which is me, eh VPS user with root to only one VPS on the hardware and the OpenVZ administrator of the hardware server, having access to root of the hardware server and all the VPS configuration stuff of all VPS containers that are installed on the hardware.

Mt Burns, just displays the fact that he doesn't get, there is a big difference between the VPS admin and the OpenVZ admin.

Really a tech support agent doing support for Virtual Private Servers, that has no concept of Server virtualization and how they are configured, is totally beyond my comprehension.......

How on earth to work with a tech support agent to solve a container configuration question, that has no concept of Server virtualization......

Comment

32 bit uses less RAM, netto performance can be better.

Comment

But surely that's cutting your nose off to spite your face? Would a 32bit OS running on top of 64bit hardware not be slower in the end up?
                      No, actually it can be faster

Comment

Originally posted by wjleong View Post
                        If you're from US, UK or AU, just drop a call to them, although they will still referring you back to open a support ticket, but you can explain your issue to them, may be they can explain to their colleagues as well.

I am in The Netherlands. And I guess you get the sales team. Actually I am very happy with tech sales team. They are really supportive and come up with good suggestions ad very creative solutions for the questions I ask them.

I actually did a live chat with them about this issue. They are sincere sorry that I experience problems with support and suggested me to use the feedback form. When I asked where the feedback did go, they answered promptly: "Management". Which is the proper way to address a failing tech support.

I did write my story as factually as I could and tried the feedback form.It did work, I guess my story contained to many word for the form. I contacted sails again and ask what to do. They gave me a e-mail address to send it to them and promised it to forward the message. You know this is a good 5 star support expressions. The sales people really know how to handle questions.

But for tech support you have to rely on the guys behind the ticket system and the guys that answers my tickets just don't understand the concept that OpenVZ container configuration can't be accessed from inside the VPS.

Comment

Originally posted by doneritehosting View Post
                          Be patient Bart,

----snip----

Just be patient and work with them.. They will work with you..
                          I got a reply on my effort to explain that the OpenVZ administrator can switch on and off Second-Level Quotas for Container as described here http://wiki.openvz.org/User_Guide/Ma..._for_Container

This can not be done by the VPS administrator

The tech support agent doesn't get the concept there is difference between the two.... He just tells that it are all Linux commands and that could they could be run from root on the VPS.

Mind you the agent displays that he has no concept of server virtualization. How on earth am I supposed to work with him. The man can't understand the question.......

I is beyond my comprehension that a support agent with no real concept of server virtualization and the configuration involved is working on VPS support.......

Comment

I got a reply on my effort to explain that the OpenVZ administrator can switch on and off Second-Level Quotas for Container as described on the OpenVZ wiki

This can not be done by the VPS administrator

The tech support agent doesn't get the concept there is difference between the two.... He just tells that it are all Linux commands and that they could they could be run from root on the VPS.

Mind you the agent displays, that he has no concept of server virtualization and the diffidence between the OpenVz super administrator and the VPS administrators

It is beyond my comprehension that a support agent with no real concept of server virtualization and the configuration involved, is working on VPS support.......

How on earth am I supposed to work with him. The man can't understand the question.......

Comment

you know, sometime the support have to handle a lots of tickets and in order to compile to 1 hour respond guarantee, they have to reply quickly.

i believe in your case, either they have overlooked or the support guy is not well trained.

anyway, have your issue completely resolved ?

Comment

Working...
                              X