Constantly down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constantly down!

How the heck are we supposed to draw potential customers when our main selling point is always down?

My site is hosted on the UK server and it goes down a minimum of two times a day if i'm lucky.

I then contact the support staff who reply one hour later saying "everything is ok your website is loading from our end". Of course it is, its been an hour since i submitted the ticket.

Here's my uptime report for one week only!

Uptime Outages
    99.92% 5

From To Downtime
    2013-02-26 11:45:46 / 2013-02-26 12:07:46 / 0h 22m 00s
    2013-02-27 13:42:46 / 2013-02-27 13:44:46 / 0h 02m 00s
    2013-02-27 19:44:46 / 2013-02-27 19:45:47 / 0h 01m 01s
    2013-02-27 22:12:46 / 2013-02-27 22:16:46 / 0h 04m 00s
    2013-02-28 17:57:46 / 2013-02-28 17:59:46 / 0h 02m 00s

And i can't wait to see this months report

Mine is in the UK DC also, and I have very few down times weekly.

Are you experiencing these yourself, or just taking the word of a downtime monitor? I haven't ever experienced my down times and they are 2 minutes at the most when they happen.

Comment

I get downtime notices too and even if I access my site right after I get the notification it loads lol I'm on a vps and Only one time my site didnt actually load after notice.. I logged into the vps control panel sure enough it was offline, rebooted the vps and everything has been peachy ever since.. The monitor I use checks from 3 different locations And when I get my weekly report I notice that one location will say my site is down the other 2 will say its up... Im sure that is network issues and RSP cannot control that..

Comment

Yes i have experienced it myself, it was down at the time i was making the post. Has for it only been for a few minutes is irreverent, its an inconvenience and doesn't look very professional if any clients are trying to get on the site at that moment which as happened once within that week.

PS: My uptime stats are coming from pingdom, not one of these free uptime monitors.

Comment

Hmmm, Try a traceroute to your site... that should tell you if its network or the server... Uptrends works... Just used it on mine

Comment

Firstly, shared web hosting is going to have down time. The servers be they real or virtual have to be maintained, need patches and OS updates installed and rebooted.

Modern sites rely on web servers and database servers all functioning correctly to serve a page so that doubles your chances of downtime. Also, being shared any reboot is going to upset someone. You also have to consider that a lot of reboots are to fix something another client has broken in the first place!

It clearly states that the shared hosting has an uptime of 99.9% Even this means that there can be :

8.76 hours a year
            43.8 minutes a month (average)
            10.1 minutes a week (average)

I’m also on the UK Data Centre and have noticed a couple of downtimes at inconvenience times, like posting content or trying to do admin in a control panel. I think it was the one on the 26 or 27th, it was around lunchtime my time any-ways. But this is the disadvantage of shared hosting, if you want 100% uptime you got to pay for it and its not cheap!!!

Comment

When I was hosted in UK DC, my annual downtime even more than 20 hours.

But majority of the time it was emergency maintenance or hardware failure, made me frustrated, after contacted the support, only realised that can't claim the 99.9% uptime guarantee.

Then I moved to US DC.

Now my main site had moved away from RSP to Servint.net vps.

Comment

I don't expect 100% uptime, i know that technology can be a ***** at times,
                yes there will be reboots and upgrades etc.. If it was once every now and then, then that would be fine, but its not, its everyday, whether it be for 1 minute or 20.

At the end of the day if they can't show me that they are company worth investing in by keeping the sites online then why should i invest my money into this company?

Anyhow i will monitor it for the next month, if it don't improve i will have no option to move elsewhere.
                Last edited by Trax; 07-03-2013, 01:27 PM.

Comment

I do understand your frustrations.

However, I dont share your opinion on investment in RSP. I believe, behind the scenes, RSP are investing a lot into upgrading and sustainable platforms. Technology moves fast, new threats and abuse of systems change daily. The fact that RSP are pro-actively updating servers and the OS on them is a comfort in my eyes. I’ve been with other hosts who didn’t do this until a site was hacked, then had hours of down time, lost valuable data on me and then I had a huge mess to clean up with no support from the host. Nightmare!

Please do let us know the next months results. How long have you been keeping the monitor logs?

Comment

I have not being monitoring it that long so i don't have much to compare it to at the moment, thus the reason why i'm willing to wait it out a month or two longer.

I will be happy to share next months results with you all.

Comment

Working...
                    X