Outgoing E-mails Restriction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outgoing E-mails Restriction

I feel that current outgoing e-mail restriction set on shared hosting account is unreasonable.

"Customers are NOT allowed to send more than 1500 emails per day / 150 email per hour per hosting account "

If my business hosting plan client has 500 active email accounts, does it means that only 150 emails could be send through per hour and only 3 e-mails could be send out per e-mail account a day (assuming all e-mail account holder actively send out e-mail)?

One of my clients has been getting Error 550 Stop! You are sending too fast.

Seriously, RP need to review the policy. My client has lost trust in the hosting services as there are too much restriction in place.

If you want to send more than 1500 emails a day you will need to move to the VPS, semi-dedicated or dedicated servers.

You can send up to 10,000 emails a day on the semi-dedicated and unlimited on the VPS and dedicated server plans.

It seems to me that your client wants to use resources that he is not willing to pay for.

Comment

Outgoing Email stats

Meanwhile, hoping that RP could include in the outgoing emails stats in the hosting control panel so that user could monitor themself and take appropriate action before it is too late. This information should be transparent and made available to users rather than them getting caught in disappointment over the mail error.

Comment

The restrictions are in place to prevent abuse from spammers. I personally would be VERY wary of a client who is sending out 1500 emails a day!

However, if the emails are perfectly reasonable (ie a newgroup or email list) then why not open a ticket with technical support and explain the situation. You might find that once you explain things they might be willing to suggest alternatives.

Comment

1500 emails a day is a tidy sum of email to be pumping out of a shared account. A business requiring 500 email accounts should have no problems hosting on a vps. If no server knowledge then a managed vps. A managed OpenVZ VPS is just a little more than a semi-dedicated plan

For clarification to me though, Is that 1500 a day per hosting account or 1500 per domain on the account?

Comment

"For clarification to me though, Is that 1500 a day per hosting account or 1500 per domain on the account? "

The hepsia control panel does not have domain quotas so that would be the limit for the whole account, where in cPanel/WHM program each domain name can send 150 per hour, considering the fact addon domains are being rarely used there you can have yourself a cPanel resellers account and create multiple hosting accounts with different domain names.

If however your e-mail accounts are all tied up to a single domain name, as it is usually with businesses, you would need a VPS or a dedicated machine.

Comment

On a side note, do mailing lists count in that allowance? For example, if you had an email list of 800 odd customers , or previous customers who want to be informed of your offers or maybe a monthly newsletter. Are you still limited to 150 an hour?

Comment

Of course

PHP mail sending, mailing lists or just plain mail sending. It all goes through that filter.

Comment

Hey Yan,
                  I'll ask the obvious question then. Are domain quotas on the way for hespia as cpanel/whm offers this? Yes I consider 1500 emails a day per domain fair for a shared account as cpanel offers but.. as clivejo brings up, using hespia with the current restrictions, what if you have a opt in mailing list with over 1500 addresses (assuming you have one domain / one email address)? Does the mailer resume mailing the list the next day or just bail out with a error? Also as mentioned what is the purpose of offering unlimited domains unlimited email accounts on say the enterprise plan when by just sheer number of domains you can cause your email not to function?
                  I'm just curious to the development road map of this, especially since I prefer hespia but cpanel seems to have a more logical setup in this senerio.
                  Last edited by doneritehosting; 05-04-2013, 11:11 PM.

Comment

1. No no such option is intended or even considered. We do not plan to set this restriction on "per-domain-basis" That would be point blank stupid with plans such as the corporate plan and the enterprise plan where you can host unlimited number of domains. That would just be insane. Imagine having 100 domains with 1500 email rate per day. The corporate and enterprise plan are not the best solution when you want to send out a lot of e-mails thats why we have VPS solutions and Dedicated Servers. After all you can't expect to have everything for 114.00 USD per year...
                    2. If you go over the limit there will be an error "stop you are sending too fast". If you send more than 150 per hour the same error will be present however if you do not stop trying to send out e-mails the counter will not reset. That is done to prevent spam scripts of executing automatically.

Comment

Yes that would be the only way.

And businesses usually don't mind paying 20-30 USD per month for having:
                      a) what they need without restrictions
                      b) independent service compared to shared hosting plans
                      c) reliable service above all

Having said that neither do spammers I mean they get a lot of money for sending out spam and they are not too bothered about renting a server for a month then when the IP gets blacklisted they move on to another network/company.

Comment

Originally posted by yav0r View Post
                        Having said that neither do spammers I mean they get a lot of money for sending out spam and they are not too bothered about renting a server for a month then when the IP gets blacklisted they move on to another network/company.
                        Very true, email has the power to be very powerful advertising tool if used properly. I had been thinking of setting up an email type newsgroup were each message is 'broadcast' to all the other subscribers. People can then reply to the message and its broadcast out to the entire group again. Its handy for reaching a larger number of people with a similar interest. As the list would be about 100-200 subscribers, every reply would max out the 150 an hour quota :/

Is the rule purely to prevent spammers or is it a resource/network thing too?

Comment

As far as I am aware there is no network problem to allow more e-mails having said that, that would gradually degrade the network's reputation as more and more e-mails are being sent recursively more and more e-mails will be identified by users as spam.

That is why there is a global rule of the 150 per hour and 1500 per day otherwise we would not be able to provide a quality service.

Comment

Originally posted by doneritehosting View Post
                            1500 emails a day is a tidy sum of email to be pumping out of a shared account. A business requiring 500 email accounts should have no problems hosting on a vps. If no server knowledge then a managed vps. A managed OpenVZ VPS is just a little more than a semi-dedicated plan
                            I agree wholeheartedly. If you are in business and have that many email addresses and are sending out that many emails a day, you need to pay for that service. You can't have everything for nothing. If I came across a prospective client that seemed to be one of these businesses that want everything for peanuts, I don't take them on as a client. I prefer to only deal with reasonable people. Unreasonable people are a waste of time and money and they will eventually badmouth your good name for no good reason because they didn't get what they wanted for nothing or next to nothing.

Comment

Working...
                            X