ICANN warns of domain renewal scam emails sent to registrants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICANN warns of domain renewal scam emails sent to registrants

ICANN, the global domain name coordinator, an accredited registrar of whose is LiquidNet Ltd – the company behind ResellersPanel, has raised awareness of a global scamming issue regarding domain renewals.

The latest ‘fashion’ among cybercriminals is sending registrants domain name renewal emails, which pretend to be coming from ICANN.
    The emails are only aimed at misleading the registrants into giving their financial information on the phishing sites they are redirected to from the emails.
    The Anti-Phishing Working Group (APWG) has managed to outline a few common characteristics of the emails sent by scammers:
    • The scam email encourages the recipient to click on a link to renew the domain online at an attractively low price.
    • The ‘renewal promotion’ email appears to be sent by ICANN. It features ICANN’s branding and logo in the body of the message.
    • The fake renewal page that the email leads to also tries to mimic a page managed by ICANN.

While ICANN has initiated a thorough investigation of this aggressive scam campaign, they recommend that registrants also take steps to protect their personal information.
    So, if you or your customers receive an email similar to the one described above, you should keep in mind the following notes:
    • Any email that offers domain renewal services from ICANN is NOT authentic, since ICANN does not process domain registrations or collect fees from registrants directly. All expiration notifications for resellers are sent on behalf of ResellersPanel and for customers – on behalf of your store name, accordingly.
    • Any scam email received should be reported to ICANN immediately via an email to Contractual Compliance at compliance@icann.org. A copy of the scam email is required for maximum investigation results.
    • Customers should be encouraged to contact your (our) support team directly for any concerns about the status of their domain name.

To help spread the voice of ICANN on this critical security concern, we recommend that you communicate the aforementioned measures to your customers through your blogs or social media channels as soon as you can.

Source : http://blog.resellerspanel.com/domain-names/icann-warns-of-domain-renewal-scam-emails-sent-to-registrants.html

Gotta watch those that come snail mail too... lol.. those are just trying to get you to renew your domain for a unreal price though..

Comment

Seems that ICANN dont mind those types of scams Donerite. I keep getting plagued by "The Domain Registry of America" offering to renewal my domains for a hiked price. They obviously are using the WHOIS address details, which as an ICANN accredited registrar they should not be doing. Funny how ICANN turn a blind eye to this!!

Comment

Thats who I was referring to.... so they operate in the uk too huh?

Comment

Surely they are in breach of a number of ICANN's terms and conditions, how are the still being allowed to operate?

Comment

Hello.

I am not sure that they actually "operate".

They just get you money - no renewals or anything.

I have seen such E-Mails.

There are some asking for $70 for a .com renew, others that are actually transferring your Domain to them and after that ask you to pay enormous fees.

(Note to the new Resellers/Clients) The best action in those kind of situation is to contact us first, before paying anything - Chat, Phone, E-Mail or in a Ticket.

Best Regards,
            Tom.

Comment

They used to send out a pre-paid envelope which had a UK address on it. So I filled it with rubbish mail and put it back in the mail to them. You know, fliers for Solar Panels, local supermarket offers, TV licence letters addressed to the occupier!!) Fun enough, they seemed to have stopped the free return postage !!

Comment

Originally posted by clivejo View Post
                They used to send out a pre-paid envelope which had a UK address on it. So I filled it with rubbish mail and put it back in the mail to them. You know, fliers for Solar Panels, local supermarket offers, TV licence letters addressed to the occupier!!) Fun enough, they seemed to have stopped the free return postage !!

Attached Files

Comment

LOL

Unfortunately, letters and packages are classed differently here. The postage is paid up to a certain class ie first class envelope. But as long as its costing them money, they will think twice !!

Comment

Working...
                  X