Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Accused of Overselling - ResellersPanel Discussion

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accused of Overselling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accused of Overselling

Recently I've been accused of overseling... does anybody have any idea as to how to combat their argument. They will not believe me, they will not believe the live chat, and I'm losing prospect customers!

I'm not mad at all, I'm just looking for some help!

Ignore them. I guarantee you they are not customer's who are telling you this, they are other hosts that cannot provide as much space as us.

Comment

Although you are right, this is on a forum where a potential customer asked if anybody had heard of me. Some other accused me of overselling. I'm afraid that my customer will listen to them, as opposed to me.

Here is the thread
      Last edited by Guest; 17-11-2005, 02:06 AM.

Comment

With the amount of space and bandwidth that is being offered at such low prices I am not surprised that the term "Over Selling" is being thrown at anyone. It is unbelieveable and it does make some wonder how many accounts are being hosted on each server. I mean if you think about it. Who is going to use 15gb of space and 300gb of traffic on one domain? It is more space than the average user will ever think of using. Which brings me to another point.
        Who here has one of the Business or Corporate accounts with the large amount of space and what do you plan to do with all of it? I figure if I bought an account I'd have to give most of the space away. So why not start a free homepage program to draw in customers? Cons: Active scripting, You don't want to give away php and perl capabilities. That would be a major security risk and could jeopardize an entire server. You need a solution that will only allow static content such as html, images, sound files, and video. Pros: Customer Gain, Free customers that could potentially upgrade to an account where they will have all the bells and whistles. End result: Money in your pocket?

Is it worth it? Good idea or bad idea? Post some input. I've been debating this myself but not sure if I want to pay hosting for a bunch of users that only think Free Free Free and never make a dime. Maybe when the plan builder is finished it'll be a much better alternative to offering only large accounts.
        Last edited by Guest; 17-11-2005, 03:07 AM.

Comment

From a post on that thread:

????

Maybe I should ask my question here too. A couple of days, I found out that there were two sites that had exactly the same design and one of them was tomorrowhosting. Not saying that one of them copy from the another, but they could be related or they are reselling from the same source ~

Do you know who?

http://www.***************.com/
          And I can see why they'd say it's overselling; both hostingplex and canaca have been longtime oversellers, and our deals are better than even theirs. :\

edit: and from a link in that thread to another one there, a side-by-side thing they made:

Personally, that's why I don't use rsp templates.

As for your prospective customer, remind them of the 30 day money back guarantee. They've got nothing to lose.
          Last edited by Guest; 17-11-2005, 04:22 AM.

Comment

that is the new RSP template... global is WebHosters site, not sure who the others is.

With the new increase in storage and bandwidth, whether RSP is overselling or not, I'm sure most people who have heard about it will guess that is being done.

As for offering free hosting at the hopes of converting... I wouldn't count on it. People who are looking for free hosting are not the kind that are probably going to pay. I could be wrong, but I think the only chance of making money that route is through a forced ads model with the hope of getting clickthrus.

Comment

cardine and everyone else, let me first clarify what overselling means. I do not pretend that I will give the best definition, but overselling basically means selling more resources than there are actually available.

Yes, Resellers Panel is overselling disk space on our web hosting servers and the colleague on LiveChat made a mistake by saying that it is not so. Perhaps he/she has misunderstood the question. However, this is controlled overselling it does not affect in any way the quality of services provided to web hosting customers. If customers need to use the complete resources advertised with a web hosting plans they can do so and this will not be a problem at all as long as they observe the Terms and Conditions of service.

I want to make clear that overselling is not a negative practice in any way, as long as the service is carefully planned and managed. The majority of web hosting providers are overselling. The largest hosting providers like Yahoo and GoDaddy do so as well. Even providers that offer just 50 or 100MB of disk space with an account are usually overselling as well. This should not be a reason for worry as long as the provider offers a well-balanced service.

Comment

Yes, even at the old limits, the shared accounts here were being "oversold". It would be pretty impossible to make money in the web hosting industry if one did not oversell.

Comment

and of course, we all know that airlines oversell. It just has to be done, cannot economically fly an empty plane and cannot economically operate an empty server.

Comment

These are just my thoughts, but maybe RSP isn't overselling, maybe all the other hosts are just over priced...

It's just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by identity
                      that is the new RSP template... global is WebHosters site, not sure who the others is.
                      Well the other one would be the creator of this thread.

And thanks for the clarification, Milen.

Comment

Originally posted by Fitzpatrick
                        Well the other one would be the creator of this thread.

And thanks for the clarification, Milen.
                        ah, yes, as you say, good eyes mate.

And yes, as Milen has pointed out, overselling in itself is a normal and natural practice in the industry... it isn't the practice that is necessarily bad, but how it is managed.

Comment

Working...
                        X