Discount Codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discount Codes

I figure maybe this has been suggested in the past but I can not find it in the search. I know as of now we can create custom made plans for clients special needs and such.

I wanted to suggest placing a field in the order form that allows for a discount code or sales coupon. That way I could run a special promotional price just for select members of some community forum or something for example.. Basically we would have an area in our admin panels where we can create discount codes and choose when they expire.. Then when a future client places the discount code in the form the script will check to see if the code is valid for that paticular reseller.. This way Joe Smoe's discount code would not work on every resellers site. Thanks for reading.. As always I know everyone is busy but it would be nice to see this implemented in the "to do" or "coming soon" list..

I think that is a great idea, I have been hoping for something like this for a while now so Im glad someone else thinks the same way. It would be a great way to run special promotions.

Comment

I do like the idea too - it would be good if, as an alternative to using an expiry date, have it only apply for a selected number of sign-ups before becoming invalid to be used further.

Comment

I've wanted to do the same thing and because RSP doesn't offer this feature I have come up with some interesting work arounds I'll share with you.

1. Use 3 plans instead of 4 and then when you have a promotion you want to do activate the 4th plan to make it available on the order page. This has one drawback in that everyone will see it - but if your making an offer to a "group" of customers then you might as well make it to all of them. I don't think any of us would be upset over a gained customer . However having said that, the change I would like to see RSP make is to let us offer a 5th plan but that is really a different topic.

2. Set-up a paypal account and tell the "group" to pick out an existing plan and then email you the promotion code something like "promo@you-hosting-company.com". After 30 days (when they can't cancel their account) they will receive their refund to them at the email address they used to email you the promo code - that way you don't get ripped. I like this idea except for the fact that you have to actually do some work and work always sucks lol.

3. Use the API (I don't) but I am pretty sure that if you hired a php programmer to build your website around the API that you could do exactly what you want to, that is to say actually let the customer put the promo code in the order page - but of course you would still have to administer the refunds to the customer.

Anyway, thats all the idea's I have - I'm going to sleep now .

Comment

This would be a great addition. However i can only see it working for RSP if it only goes as low as the wholesale+10% limit.

Comment

Yea, I would really like this feature you could also provide a discount for one customer or something. They could allow you to make the discount only to a certain price, good idea!

Comment

like it

Originally posted by Mattikal View Post
              I do like the idea too - it would be good if, as an alternative to using an expiry date, have it only apply for a selected number of sign-ups before becoming invalid to be used further.
              Yeah I like that spin on the idea too.. That way you could run the promotion that the first 10 people to sign up would get the promotional price.. Nice idea on top of the idea..

Comment

The introduction of discount codes has been suggested before already. However, I doubt that such feature would be implemented any time soon.

Comment

If you would like to implement discount codes using the RSP Remote Order form, here is a solution.

Register an RSP account for each coupon you would like to offer. On the page you are using the remote order form on, add just above the order form a 'enter your coupon here' field and maybe some other information about coupons.

When someone types in a coupon, you can have it go off to your own PHP or perl code, and then reload the signup form that is for one of your 'coupon' RSP accounts.

Each RSP Account would need to be setup with the same hosting packagse, so that when someone typed in the coupon number, the prices would change but they could still select all of the same hosting packages.

This method of course would only work for coupons where you were discounting the customer a percentage of the sale cost.

The handy thing about this is your clients are seperated into seperate accounts. Annoying thing is you'd need to keep your accounts updated with the same details.

RSP do things too like setup a master account for you, so if you have more than one RSP Account, all the money can go to just one account. I use that.

Comment

RSP does that for you and let you merge more than one account? I thought they would only want you to have one.

Comment

They allow you to have more than 1 account althought its frowned apon

Comment

Strange, I was encouraged by an RSP support to have a second for what I wanted to do once.

Comment

Oh, I was just surprised as most companies if you get caught with more than one they either want to suspend you from both or try to give you a lecture.

Comment

Ever since I've been with RSP (October 2004, with various accounts), it has been more than fine to have multiple reseller accounts. There is no rule against this.

What isn't allowed is signing up one of your reseller accounts as an affiliate under another.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                              They allow you to have more than 1 account althought its frowned apon
                              We have always allowed our resellers to have as many free reseller accounts as they like, as long as they are not affiliates of one another. I do not why you have decided that it is frowned upon.

Comment

Working...
                              X