PHP Register Globals = ON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by devilboy
    The only thing I can think of is that no one signed up yet during those three months that needed RegisterGlobals on. When they signed up, they asked if they could be turned on and RP concluded that it was worth the effort to meet their need.
    Actually, this is not quite right. During the time that the register_globals was set to "off" more than half of our current cPanel resellers have complained that their and/or their client's sites failed to work correctly, because the option in question had been disabled. We have tried to offer a workaround for the sake of maintaining a higher server security level, but unfortunately this was not satisfactory to the majority of the resellers and we had to switch register_globals back to "on". Otherwise we risked loosing approximately 50% of the existing cPanel resellers, if we continued to insist on keeping the settings to "off".
    Last edited by Milen; 17-10-2006, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bernard
      That's my opinion too. Why shouldn't those who want it ON simply put php.ini files where and when they need it, and not us who know what we need and what we are doing...
      Maybe because they are novices that know little to nothing about php. They are also more than likely installing scripts with the fantastico script installer that requires no PHP know how.

Comment

Originally posted by Milen View Post
        .... Otherwise we risked loosing approximately 50% of the existing cPanel resellers, if we continued to insist on keeping the settings to "off".
        Although I have not yet opened my cPanel account with RSP, I have enjoyed this thread and would like to add my 2 cents.

The Register Globals issue is primarily a legacy coding issue, for those webmasters who have the possibilty to update the application code they can use a technique to emulate the RG settings inside a php application.

Please find this article on how to emulate the php register globals settings, both on and off within PHP:

http://in.php.net/manual/en/faq.misc...egisterglobals

I find this works well for me, regardless of my server settings.

Comment

Working...
        X