a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a question

Do you allow overselling on your cPanel plans? i.e. can resellers oversell?

Linux PHP Host, no, overselling is not allowed under the cPanel reseller program.

Comment

Thank you, Milen. I'll have to cancel that account right away. It seems odd to me that no one, such as you and HostGator, are allowing this anymore.

Comment

I know of one host that still allows overselling on Cpanel reseller accounts. I would not recommend doing so though. Cpanel accounts are usually not sizeable enough and bandwidth is usually pretty limited. Wouldn't want to pay any fees for overages.

Comment

Linux PHP Host, overselling is very prohibitive for cPanel accounts. The reason for this is that the cPanel\WHM software is not very flexible in this aspect. The WHM has the option to enable overselling in cPanel reseller accounts, but this feature is a rather simple "enable/disable" option. Once the overselling is enabled there is absolutely no way to control how much a reseller oversells. Considering that the cPanel reseller accounts do not impose a limit on the number of web hosting accounts and domains that can be hosted, enabling the overselling option could create a serious potential risk for the stability of the cPanel server, since there is no way to control the extent of the overselling of the resellers on the server.
          Last edited by Milen; 16-11-2006, 08:33 PM.

Comment

new reseller

I'm a new cpanel reseller have about a dozen clients. How do you handle manual adjusting of quota and bandwidth limit. I start out by setting initial quota to 100 megs and 1000 megs of bandwidth then monitor the accounts and adjust the bandwidth limits to what I think they will use in a month. I have one account thought that is using an estimated 20gigs per month while most accounts will probably not exceed their one gig per month. When I was running a vps I didn't monitor bandwidth and I noticed that only a few clients needed more hd space then 100 megs. So I gave those few the extra megabytes. In the world of overselling how do you compete in your advertising, especially when people tell you that they can get 1000 gig of bandwidth and unlimited hard drive space by going to *** company. How do you compete with that?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Vestal View Post
              In the world of overselling how do you compete in your advertising, especially when people tell you that they can get 1000 gig of bandwidth and unlimited hard drive space by going to *** company. How do you compete with that?
              Jim, overselling is not allowed for cPanel reseller accounts for the reasons I have provided in my previous post in this thread. Nothing of those has changed.
              While it would be extremely difficult for a cPanel reseller to compete with other players on the market based on disk space and bandwidth quantity, you should try to compete based on the quality of the service that you provide.
              If you want to compete with other providers on disk space and bandwidth quantity based on overselling, you also have an option. Get your own dedicated server with cPanel and oversell as much as you want. (However, do not complain when the server starts crashing because of severely oversold server resources ).

Comment

Working...
              X