What Does Unmanaged Cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Does Unmanaged Cover?

As many users have noticed ZendURL is down, and it is down due to a corrupt hard drive. I want to upgrade to a better server (since we had to many downtimes on the old one) and I have narrowed the search down to RSP and a couple other companies for my dedicated server.
    I am interested in the Athlon64 4800+ Dual Core "Elite" package.
    I would like to know if I go with the unmanaged plan (I have a 3rd party management program that I really like) will you guys still provide 24/7 support for hardware issues, upgrades, and basic stuff like that?
    Thanks

cardine, the unmanaged dedicated server offerings include OS installation (several choices are available), web hosting control panel installation (control panel license is charged separately, two control panel choices are available – cPanel or RSP control panel, servers with RSP control panel do not include root access) and the installation of the following software: Apache, BASH, PERL, PHP, MySQL, POP3, IMAP, Sendmail and Procmail.
    The unmanaged dedicated servers also include 24/7 support for any issues related to billing, hardware, web hosting control panel and server upgrades (server upgrades are charged separately). OS updates are also included.
    Installation and update of other software can be done by the customer or can be ordered as an additional managed service.
    Security updates and patching of software on the server must be done by the customer or can be ordered as an additional managed service.
    I also advise you to read the following documents related to dedicated server offerings: Dedicated Servers ToS and Acceptable Use Policy.

Comment

As much as your server has been getting hit with DDOS attacks, you should look for dedicated hosting with DDOS protection. I know of at least one dedicated provider that includes DDOS filtering with all their servers. Now days its pretty much a must have.

Comment

If that happens to be true, you may want to contact the support team they are pretty flexible on what they can do, and I wouldn't be suprised if they were able to do that for you.

Comment

Originally posted by TylerGillen View Post
          If that happens to be true, you may want to contact the support team they are pretty flexible on what they can do, and I wouldn't be suprised if they were able to do that for you.
          Do what exactly, because I am confused? Manually filter the flooding TCP/IP packets during a DDoS attack? I am afraid that would not be humanly possible .

Now, seriously. Protection against DDoS attacks is possible. However, the price of the hardware device needed to achieve the tasks is significantly higher (and I mean way higher) than the monthly fee for even our most expensive dedicated server packages. I know a competing provider that offer a DDoS protection service and the price of this service only is one-and-a-half to two times higher than the price of their dedicated server packages. So it is possible in general. The question is: "Is it worth it for you to pay the price?"

Comment

I did not do my research on what it exactly was, so typically thought it was just software to be installed. So I told them to contact you guys as you were flexible on what you could help with. Knowing the information you just told me, it sounds as if that would not be a choice on the dedicated servers.

Sorry for any confusion caused...

Comment

Well as for management I've decided that the best way to go is to have a 3rd party management team that I can get used to and understand, so that if I need to switch server providers, I'm still dealing with the same group of people, I can expect the same amount of time for an installation or work.
              In the end I think that is the best.

And also my support team told me my DDOS protection was a one was one that could be defended easily, and they made a config change that fixed the whole issue.

On a completely different note, I am now on 2 clustered Pentium 4 2.8Ghz processors and the server that handles MySQL, cPanel, and FTP had only a 90% uptime before I put a temporary hold on signups. It is quite a resource intensive site!

Comment

Working...
              X