Php 5...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Php 5...

As scary as it sounds, are there any plans on upgrading PHP to version 5 any time soon?

I only ask because I noticed on http://php.net that they plan to discontinue support/upgrades of PHP 4 at the end of the year.

I'm interested in the upgrade, and would love to be apart of it if one was offered...

In every Clients Control Panel.. there is an option for them to upgrade to PHP5 if they want to.

Comment

nitecrawler, judging the section in which the thread was opened, devilboy has a cPanel reseller account and not a free reseller one.

devilboy, currently our cPanel shared servers only support PHP 4. We will upgrade to PHP 5 eventually, but no deadline has been specified yet. We are aware that support and further development of PHP 4 will be discontinued by the end of the year, however, security fixes for it will still be provided until August 2008. Moreover, I would like to point out that while not perfect PHP 4 has proven itself as reliable and popular platform, while PHP 5 despite its advantages in some aspects has not been able to gain the momentum its developers have (perhaps) expected. PHP 5 still has a user-base that is several times smaller than the one of PHP 4, despite the fact that PHP 5 was made available three years ago.

Comment

I do not see many customer who would like Php 5 right now. Most are used to Php 4 and like it.

Comment

Hello, and yes, I was speaking of the cPanel accounts, not the free ones.

I agree about PHP 4 being a stronger platform in the sense of popularity and stability. My concern was more or less being stuck on PHP 4 after its developers have since moved on.

PHP 5, from the little testing I've done on a small server, only causes older code to break, from what I can tell. Programs which use depreciated functions or superglobals are the ones that have difficulty holding up. But in order to support a larger library of PHP code that exists on the internet, PHP 4 is still the choice of many customers - I agree.

Any chance you'll offer both 4 and 5 somtime next year? Perhaps giving customers a choice? I doubt they can (or should) be run on the same server...

Comment

Both can be run on the same server. But you can not use them both at the same time. The ini files will conflict. But some hosting providers have a utility that allows their clients to switch from php4 to php5. So I am guessing its directory based or based on the domain. I'm not sure if RSP would be able to offer this in Cpanel accounts.

Comment

We do offer both PHP4 and PHP5 on shared servers that run our proprietary web hosting control panel. I do not know whether such an option is available for cPanel (most likely it isn't), however, devilboy it would be best if you asked our cPanel support team directly about this by either opening a support ticket through your billing account with us or by sending an e-mail at cpanel[at]resellerspanel.com.

Comment

Okay, I'll do that. Although to be honest, I'm mostly just curious I've played around with PHP 5 a little and seeing that notice on the PHP site made me a little nervous.

Thank you very much for everyones' replies on this topic!

Comment

Working...
                X