PHP 5 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHP 5 Support

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this (we are actually using Altar4)
    Do you intend to upgrade your PHP to version 5 soon on cPanel accounts?

Thanks
    Frank

I do not know what are the plans for upgrading to PHP 5 on the cPanel hosting servers. Please, open a support ticket about this from your billing account with us or email the cPanel support team at cpanel[at]resellerspanel.com.

Comment

I believe some servers of RSP are already testing on PHP6. Your best bet is to contact tech support and ask about it.

Comment

Originally posted by J.L.H.C. View Post
        I believe some servers of RSP are already testing on PHP6. Your best bet is to contact tech support and ask about it.
        He is looking for PHP5,but not 6.

Comment

Originally posted by wjleong View Post
          He is looking for PHP5,but not 6.
          Yes but if they are already testing on PHP6, they should most definitely have PHP5 available.

Comment

Originally posted by J.L.H.C. View Post
            Yes but if they are already testing on PHP6, they should most definitely have PHP5 available.
            Theoritical they should have PHP5, if they are already testing on PHP6. But practically...

However,it's good to know they are already testing on PHP6.

Comment

Our current cPanel has PHP version 5.2.8.
              I was pleasantly surprised.

Comment

I spoke with the person in charge of our cPanel reseller program. PHP 5 is indeed available on newer cPanel hosting servers. Our team is currently working on allowing older cPanel servers to support both PHP 4 and PHP 5, but there are some technical difficulties and a time-frame for the availability of this feature has not been specified.

Comment

I would assume it is possible to migrate my account to a server running PHP 5...

Would anyone recommend doing something like that? I am contemplating it, and I would imagine most 4 scripts will work on 5, but is it worth it?

Comment

Originally posted by devilboy View Post
                    I would assume it is possible to migrate my account to a server running PHP 5...

Would anyone recommend doing something like that? I am contemplating it, and I would imagine most 4 scripts will work on 5, but is it worth it?
                    you can try to open a support ticket in your cpanel reseller control panel.

approve or not depend on their decision and how strong is your reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by wjleong View Post
                      approve or not depend on their decision and how strong is your reasons.
                      Well that's really my question... The only reason I have is that I like some of the new features and functions in PHP 5, and some new applications are PHP 5 only.

The programs are not crucial, though, and I've made do with alternate functions in PHP 4.

My true question is that should I ask to migrate now or just wait? Should I continue to "band-aid" apps for now or is now a good time to move forward?

I'm just looking for advice here... I know I need to open a support ticket if I want to do anything!

Comment

devilboy, as far as I know PHP 4 and 5 are quite different, so there may be some serious compatibility issues with scripts created with PHP 4 to work with PHP 5.

I would only advise to request such migration if PHP 5 is absolutely essential to your hosting clients and the majority of them use or plan to use scripts that require PHP 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Milen View Post
                          devilboy, as far as I know PHP 4 and 5 are quite different, so there may be some serious compatibility issues with scripts created with PHP 4 to work with PHP 5.

I would only advise to request such migration if PHP 5 is absolutely essential to your hosting clients and the majority of them use or plan to use scripts that require PHP 5.
                          That's for the reply Milen!

That sounds logical. Let me ask you this... If I were to get another cPanel package, could that be located on a PHP 5 server? Then I can offer my clients the choice.

One more question, though - is there any simple way to move clients from one server to another? Obviously there could be some PHP issues that need to be address, but the physical act of migrating an account from one box to another - is there a tool to do that?

Comment

One more question, though - is there any simple way to move clients from one server to another? Obviously there could be some PHP issues that need to be address, but the physical act of migrating an account from one box to another - is there a tool to do that?
                            actually in cpanel admin can do it,but not reseller.

in your current server cpanel admin,they can just create a back up for your whole account (reseller account,which also including all your clients).
                            then they go to another server cpanel admin,and copy the the back up of your whole account and restore in that server,all done.
                            just left some settings like ip etc to configure.
                            can be done it less than 1 hour the whole process.
                            of course,all depend on how rsp do,if they prefer to let you do it manually yourself,then you probably need to download upload and take long time...

Comment

If I were to get another cPanel package, could that be located on a PHP 5 server?
                              Yes, it is possible. However, prior to signing I would suggest contacting the cPanel support team to verify PHP 5 support on the server where cPanel signups are being placed at the moment. The newer servers should support PHP 5, but it is always good to play it safe.

The cPanel includes a tool that allows full account backup to a file. Once the account is backed up, the backup can moved to another server and restored there.

Comment

Working...
                              X