Samsung Galaxy S2 - Jelly Bean Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung Galaxy S2 - Jelly Bean Update

Like a lot of S2 owners I have been "not so patiently" waiting on the Jelly Bean update. I see a lot of media attention that it has been released but I cant seem to get it

I’ve tried the Update in the phone settings and I have tried connecting it up to Kies. Still no update found

My phone is branded O2 UK so maybe that's why? O2 always seem to slow the process down and add silly bloat-ware and floating bubbles everywhere!

this is not o2 problem, but is samsung problem.

google release new android version and distributed to manufacture, like samsung, then samsung modify it accordingly and start offering update for their phone.

as samsung only concentrate and put their effort on the latest earning big money phone, so old phone update CONFIRMED take longer time.

i use samsung own in house developed bada wave phone, it tooks 1 year for bada 2.0 released, but waited for 2 years time still haven't released in malaysia, so finally i decided to get a new phone.

and forget samsung forever, never ever purchase samsung rubbish.

this is my experience with this bad manufacture, just to share.

Comment

The Jelly Bean update has been rolled out via Samsung Kies, but not for O2!

Its definitely O2 are to blame for this delay!

I have to say I disagree with you regarding Samsung. The Galaxy range of smart-phones are the best phones I’ve ever had! I cant wait until the S4 launches as this will be my next phone.

I used to be a huge Nokia fan but I dont know what happened to them, they seemed to stick with old features when the market was moving on. They got too big and unable to adapt to the market.

Comment

I had my first and last experience with samsung phones.
        Was with ATT in the states and got the Samsung captivate galaxy s. Don't get me wrong The phone worked great and it is still fast on android 2.2 (my sister has it now) However the GPS is faulty from the manufacturer... Did the GPS "fix" software update with no help... Sent that phone back to ATT for a replacement captivate. Got it and the gps worked for about 2 weeks and went south.. I ordered the Motorola Atrix with the tegra chipset and was perfectly happy and never looked back... The atrix got stolen and did an insurance claim. My atrix was replaced by the Atrix 2 and I have never been happier with a phone.. Everything just works. Upgraded to android 4.0.4 and to me this phone is super fast... Only thing is seems with the upgrade I lost flash support for the new android version and its not available in the market that I can find.

The samsung captivate was a great phone, silky smooth operation, but I will never have another samsung because the faulty phone I paid for was never made good... Hopefully samsung handles things differently now, but for me I will stick with motorola.
        Last edited by doneritehosting; 27-01-2013, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by clivejo View Post
          The Jelly Bean update has been rolled out via Samsung Kies, but not for O2!

Its definitely O2 are to blame for this delay!

I have to say I disagree with you regarding Samsung. The Galaxy range of smart-phones are the best phones I’ve ever had! I cant wait until the S4 launches as this will be my next phone.

I used to be a huge Nokia fan but I dont know what happened to them, they seemed to stick with old features when the market was moving on. They got too big and unable to adapt to the market.
          because android phone earns Samsung BIG $$$

Comment

Originally posted by doneritehosting View Post
            I had my first and last experience with samsung phones.
            Was with ATT in the states and got the Samsung captivate galaxy s. Don't get me wrong The phone worked great and it is still fast on android 2.2 (my sister has it now) However the GPS is faulty from the manufacturer... Did the GPS "fix" software update with no help... Sent that phone back to ATT for a replacement captivate. Got it and the gps worked for about 2 weeks and went south.. I ordered the Motorola Atrix with the tegra chipset and was perfectly happy and never looked back... The atrix got stolen and did an insurance claim. My atrix was replaced by the Atrix 2 and I have never been happier with a phone.. Everything just works. Upgraded to android 4.0.4 and to me this phone is super fast... Only thing is seems with the upgrade I lost flash support for the new android version and its not available in the market that I can find.

The samsung captivate was a great phone, silky smooth operation, but I will never have another samsung because the faulty phone I paid for was never made good... Hopefully samsung handles things differently now, but for me I will stick with motorola.
            Samsung GPS scuk is a well known issue, at least in Malaysia forum like LYN, you can find a lots of people complaining their GPS connectivity.

Comment

Unfortunately it was not a known issue when I pre-ordered the phone couple months in advance Such as life, lol...

Comment

I actually do a lot of mapping for the OpenStreetMap (www.osm.org) with my S2. The GPS seems to be pretty accurate on it!

Comment

Originally posted by clivejo View Post
                  I actually do a lot of mapping for the OpenStreetMap (www.osm.org) with my S2. The GPS seems to be pretty accurate on it!
                  Thats great clivejo! Glad to hear the gps issue resolved on the second generation galaxy phones. With that issue resolved I would imagine the s2 to be a pretty awesome phone The galaxy phones are good but samsung flopped on the first generation with the gps issue.. Now if samsung would have offered me a reasonable credit towards the second generation galaxy (the right thing to do) I'd probably give it another spin. However the old saying goes "burn me once shame on you, burn me twice shame on me". Yea I am still aggravated about that deal..
                  Last edited by doneritehosting; 27-01-2013, 10:49 PM.

Comment

UPDATE: After testing out our source's claims we've discovered this update is not the official UK one – it's the Spanish version. To access it you will need a rooted Galaxy S2. Very sorry for the confusion, guys.

Source : http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/1...2_hits_uk.html
                    So its not in the UK yet

Comment

What carrier are you with clivejo? Have they released a specific month for the update? Att said the 4.0.4 update for the Atrix 2 would be released october of last year and round the 3rd week in october it was available. I had migrated to straight talks bring your own phone program and didnt think I could get the update but low and behold it downloaded and updated no problem.

Try xda developers website and see what they have to say. forum.xda-developers.com
                      Last edited by doneritehosting; 27-01-2013, 11:26 PM.

Comment

I’m on O2 and the phone was branded with O2. Over this past few days I’ve unbranded it and installed the Spanish firmware to get Jelly Bean. The phone worked OK but I couldnt get Kies to recognise it to perform a Restore.

So I’ve re-flashed with the generic UK/Ireland firmware/unbranded, just have to wait until its officially released here. Hopefully it will be soon.

The last update took O2 ages to release their branded version and I know it annoyed many people. I dont get why operators have to install all their bloat-ware on handsets! and why it takes so long!

Comment

I agree with the bloatware issue.. fortunately all that can be uninstalled off the atrix 2.. thats #2 reason I like this phone You mentioned O2 earlier sorry I didn't pick up on that as your carrier.

Possibly you can pick up jellybean on xda with a custom rom.. If you still do not wish to wait on O2, that team does some excellent work. They worked forever on the galaxy s trying to fix it with software, However when I was keeping up with that issue Low sat signal reception led me to believe right off antenna / hardware problem

Comment

Working...
                          X