Domain "Grace Period"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain "Grace Period"

I had a domain expire with one of the few registrars I use, which most the domains are set to auto-renew a few days prior to the expiration or I will purposely let them expire (if I don't want to pay to have another unused domain sitting around)

Anyways... The registrar sends out multiple emails the month before and month of the domain expiring. Since I either have them set to auto-renew or expire, I usually ignore these emails from them - But I finally read one of them, and it mentioned a "Grace Period" of renewing it after it expires.

I researched it, and found this on the ICANN website...

Can someone give me a basic description of how the Grace Period works, and how would it effect a client of a reseller with RSP?

Simple: You pay, they reset your domain name with all of the original settings. There is no set amount of time. Five days is typical, but it is up to the registrar to set the policy... just my take.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, iads

Do you know what the policy is with RSP as a registrar?

Comment

The grace period prevents other people from registering the domain for a period of time after the expiration date to allow the original owner time to discover why his/her website, email and other services have failed. Sometimes due to incorrect contact details the original owner may not get the renewal emails etc and the domain expires leaving them in limbo.

One of my .eu domains expired recently and the cost to recover it is ten times the renewal fee for a year!!! Nice money making scam there!!! I’ve also had emails and even a letter from "professional" registrars offering to recover the domain for me for an extra £100!! They even had the cheek to send me an invoice!! Needless to say they got the *** ate off them via a telephone call!

IMPORTANT: If you fail to renew your domain name within 29 days after its expiration date, it will automatically enter the 60-day Redemption Grace Period (RGP) according to the ICANN regulations, obeyed by our registrar eNom Inc. In this state the domain name can only be renewed for the sum of $190.00 USD. After this period the domain name will enter the state of of the Delete Period that may take about 40 more days. After the domain name's deletion it will become available for registration. Please note that the aforementioned time frames are not strictly obeyed. It is strictly advised that you contact us via a trouble ticket if such a situation arises.

Comment

Thanks for the information clivejo

Comment

Yea I lost doneritehosting.com because I got into a situation similar... No internet access so I could not renew... When everything panned out on my end I contacted the company whom had it and they wanted $700 to transfer ownership back to me.. I registered doneritehosting.net and continued on.. I keep a check on the .com hoping someone will slip and I can re-register it but no luck so far... lesson learned...

Comment

That also happened to a client of mine. Unfortunately the domain name was also the name of his most profitable product which sold for around $150,000 each. They failed to renew the name and a company that specializes in picking up expired domains got it. They wanted a cool $25,000 for the domain name. We wound up changing the name a bit because they were not going to pay that kind of money to get it back.

Comment

Ouch! Stuck that one in a ice chest to make Ice Cubes did you? That's unreal, 25 grand.. I thought $700 was bad news.

Comment

Originally posted by doneritehosting View Post
                  Yea I lost doneritehosting.com because I got into a situation similar... No internet access so I could not renew... When everything panned out on my end I contacted the company whom had it and they wanted $700 to transfer ownership back to me.. I registered doneritehosting.net and continued on.. I keep a check on the .com hoping someone will slip and I can re-register it but no luck so far... lesson learned...
                  Cheeky domain squatting bar-stewards! Well done on the out-smarting them! A .net is more fitting for a web hosting company in my opinion. May the internet fairies bestow back luck and hackers on them.

Comment

doneritehosting,

If you've registered business name for that domain, I think you still can contact ICANN to acquire that domain.

Comment

Originally posted by clivejo View Post
                      Cheeky domain squatting bar-stewards! Well done on the out-smarting them! A .net is more fitting for a web hosting company in my opinion. May the internet fairies bestow back luck and hackers on them.
                      You are too funny lmao the company website that has the domain is down for maint this morning LOL!

Originally posted by wjleong View Post
                      doneritehosting,

If you've registered business name for that domain, I think you still can contact ICANN to acquire that domain.
                      Thanks for the info wjleong. I'll check into it, been a couple of years though.

Comment

Originally posted by clivejo View Post
                        I agree with the .net thing. Both my web design company and web hosting company have .net on the title.

Comment

To be honest I think the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution (UDRP) offered by ICANN is probably just as expensive!

Just keep on top of your current domain so it doesn’t expire and wait it out. Its up for renewal in December, so Ill keep my fingers crossed for you!

Comment

I like the net tld for web hosting too... fits the niche so to speak. I do intend on keeping up with this one I'd like to have the com back because it shows the historical records back to establishment in this case 2004 when I registered it when a whois search is done.

Oh well like clive said maybe the internet fairies will spead some dust this december

Comment

Working...
                            X