No announcement yet.

Site Studio web builder demo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WebGirl, the option to send private messages to administrators and moderators on the forum is disabled. Instead of this send me the information in an e-mail at milen[at]resellerspanel[dot]com.

Comment

Hi there Milen ... how are you?

I have some very happy customers using SiteStudio now [including me - I rebuilt one of my sites so I could have the *User Experience*!].

You mentioned in January that your techie people were working on your own Web Builder - has that been launched yet?

Will you still offer Site Studio after that launch?

Look forward to hearing from you,
      Cheers
      WebGirl!

Comment

I am fine, thank you WebGirl. How are you?

Unfortunately, our own site builder is not ready yet and it is not a project of highest priority.

However, even after it is released I presume that SiteStudio will still be available at least for some time. We are aware of the fact that many of our resellers and end customers of our resellers have built their sites using SiteStudio and rely on it for any updates and\or changes.

Kind regards,
        Milen

Comment

I am confused by this thread because it was started so long ago and now of recent WebGirl made a post yesterday. I was curious has Site Studio been upgraded? If so, Milan could you check to see if it is that way on my server? I have just built 2 websites using Site Studio and I am finding problems in that there are areas where the template "allows" you to add in your own logo...and when you select that option, it does nothing...it seems like there might be some bugs???? Could you check this out?

By the way, Milan, I know you said your own site builder is not top priority, but when it does happen....will we be able to easily transfer the current website in site studio into the new program???

How would that work exactly? Because I was thinking if there might be an issue where a client may lose their site because Site Studio is no longer being used, then I would like to inform them in advance. Thank you.

Comment

Just thought I'd try it now:

Please please please make the RSP site builder easy-to-use and efficient! I hate how there's so much stuff in the current site builder where it says like "Enter text" and it doesn't say where the heck on the page the text is going to go. Then you write out like a paragraph and it ends up being the header. And there's other similar things that happen like that. So maybe just make sure it's not hard to understand the program?

Thanks.

Comment

Hi there Fitzpatrick and Plato1,

Nothing has changed, Site Studio still works wonderfully for me and my clients in different countries.

If you are having trouble working out where your text will appear after you type it, then perhaps you're either not using Site Studio [found under the TOOLS menu link in your control panel], or you are using an old browser which can't recognize the site builder. PS - there are other web builders in the Elephante Scripts under the Tools menu in your control panel.

My best suggestion would be to upgrade to the *very* latest browsers [try two] available for your computer. They should be no more than five years old, to take advantage of new scripting and coding. Site Studio works on both Macintosh and Windows pcs.

LOGO
              In regard to the logo not appearing, if you upload a logo which is too big for the space on the webpage design, then it will not appear. I suggest you resize your logo [you can easily do this in the Image area of Site Studio] to say 30% or even 50%, and see if it appears. Is your logo a similar shape to the one which is currently online for that particular design?

Tip: Once you go to TOOLS menu, choose Site Builder. Immediately you will see a list of 7 VIDEOS to watch to show you how to use the site builder. If you can't see the same in your copy of Site Studio, then you must upgrade your browsers.

Good luck!
              WebGirl

Comment

And there it is, from The Site Studio Guru's own mouth!

Thanks for the tips and tricks! I'm moving into designing client sites with Site Studio (let's face it, small business clients usually don't need anything more than a few simple text pages with a few graphics!), and I'm sure they'll help out!

Comment

Hey Daniel! Long time no chat!

I wouldn't say I was a *guru*, but I did have teething problems and discovered that my browsers weren't recent enough to see the web builder editors properly. New computers won't have any probs.

Have fun with Site Studio! I really like it, and am using it for one of my own sites now, and am ready to move another couple over to it, for ease of updates etc. Sure beats the heck out of hard coding, which I love, but when I'm in a hurry, the web builders are best!

Ciao ciao,
                  WebGirl!

Comment

Thanks WebGirl

Thanks for the tips...and I have seen your posts here and there about site studio and I have to agree with WebHoster you may just be the SS Guru

I agree with making of small relatively basic site...that Site Studio is great for that....and as I am learning more about it I am finding it easier to use. It has its limitations sometimes but for the most part its great for smaller businesses.

I will check out the logo/image thing....I did manage to entirely replace the upper logo area for my own site, www.lwoodpens.com but that took a ton of work to get it right...but I got it up there, only problem is if I regenerate the images I have to go in and replace their gif files again....but its not too bad......

Thanks for your response

I was wondering if there are enough of us using Site Studio perhaps the moderators might consider making it into its own category so we can share about site studio in one place???

Comment

WebGirl, do you have any suggestions on replacing the existing images on site studio like Plato1 is attempting to do? reference the following:
                      Originally posted by Plato1
                      . I will check out the logo/image thing....I did manage to entirely replace the upper logo area for my own site, www.lwoodpens.com but that took a ton of work to get it right...but I got it up there, only problem is if I regenerate the images I have to go in and replace their gif files again
                      Also many of the templates have areas that seem to be designed for text or image placement but there doesn't seem to have any editing functions to enable this. Any thoughts on that?

. I was wondering if there are enough of us using Site Studio perhaps the moderators might consider making it into its own category so we can share about site studio in one place???
                      Good Suggestion!

Comment

Hi WebGirl,

Yes, this has been a busy summer for me! I have managed to snag a few more hosting clients and a ton more affiliates - now if they'd just make sales!

When you market your website design with Site Studio, do you mention that it's template-based? And if you do, does that seem to turn people off or do they not mind?

Comment

Hi Plato1,

Bravo on your website! I'm impressed! Can you tell me which design [and whether it was Personal or Biz category] you used to achieve the top banner? You've done something I haven't done yet - well done!

Daniel, I don't market the hosting at all, and yes I do say "templates" but I push the "easy as 123" aspect. I simply market the web builder aspect for individuals and small businesses with no time or money to build an expensive website. It's not meant to be a top-end solution, but it is a solution to get a quick web presence.

I'm just starting to buy domain names for targetted audiences, and forward the domain name to my main website, to a specific page aimed at *that* particular industry or group [e.g. community centers, authors, sporting groups, musicians, artists]. I'll let you know how it goes!

Hey there vlasi47gr, interesting question ... In regard to images/logos etc, it really depends on which template you use - there are around 70 and most of them have two styles, Old and New, and each can have different Background Colours which means you can create many different styles.

In regard to this:
                          Also many of the templates have areas that seem to be designed for text or image placement but there doesn't seem to have any editing functions to enable this. Any thoughts on that?
                          It has taken me time to work out how to do this, and most of the overall image changes can be done in the Settings tab for each template design. For example one template might allow you to place 3 images at the top of the design, and another one won't allow you to add any. You just need to play around with the Settings tab, each option for an image appears as a button - click on e4ach of these, add a small image, View Page and see what changes have happened. This is how I've taught myself.

I like Site Studio - I do have a few suggestions for the developers, but that's a whole other kettle o'fish! So far I have enough options with templates and background colours to achieve what I need for my clients.

In regard to this:
                          I was wondering if there are enough of us using Site Studio perhaps the moderators might consider making it into its own category so we can share about site studio in one place???
                          I certainly have learnt a lot about SiteStudio this year, and would be happy to post tips of what I've found.

So good luck everyone, my best suggestion is to PLAY with the web builder, upload some images, and try them out in the Settings Tab.

Ciao for now,
                          WebGirl!

Comment

Originally posted by WebGirl
                            Hi Plato1,

Bravo on your website! I'm impressed! Can you tell me which design [and whether it was Personal or Biz category] you used to achieve the top banner? You've done something I haven't done yet - well done!!
                            Thanks for the compliment...I will start out with...it took A LOT OF WORK....but the template is in the biz cat....I think its called "glassy"....you can do this with most any of the other templates too...but like you have already figured out, you have to sit a click on each template and play around with it....

In short, here is how I did it.......I downloaded the gif file from the template (it has the coloring on it and the dots on the left and the magnifying glass on the right...along with a few little people)....I took the gif file and opened it into paint shop pro...this is where I took my logo (the name, which I made in paint shop as separate)...from here I matched the coloring between my logo and the templates gif file....(this was the most time consuming part b/c I had to magnify greatly and then use an paint eyedropper to fill it in)

Now here's the tricky part....I went to my lwoopen website (do this from the published site, not in site studio)...right click on your logo area at the top and get the properties...it will give you a funky file name like gen_644.1.gif

Once you have that, you need to go into your file manager in the C-panel...the files are in the "widgets" folder ...now here's the hard part.....take the file of your newly created logo on your computer and rename it (I used gen_name.1.gif) like the one you got from your website (explained above).....then I uploaded a copy to another folder(you don't have to do this part, I did b/c it leaves a copy there for later which you will need) in the filemanager (don't upload from site studio it does not work)....then from the file manager I copy my new file into the widgets folder...then I rename it the EXACT name as the file name you got off the logo area of you publish website......

NOW HERE IS THE BAD PART...Each page you create in site studio has a different set of gif files generated to it....for example let's say you create an about me page and a generic page in addition to your home page......Even though the look is identical, each one of the types of pages has a different number gif generated to it....

So what you have to do is look at the properties for EACH of your pages and get the number for the gif file attached to it. This is why I kept a copy of the file in a folder in the file manager so you don't have to keep uploading it...you just copy it in there and rename it.....

Whatever you do DON't just DELETE the gif file in the widgets folder...because if you do...site studio with generate a new file automatically and replace it...you have to rename the file...

NOW HERE IS THE REALLY BAD PART.....IF YOU REFRESH YOUR IMAGES ON YOUR WEBSITE....IT WILL ALL DISAPPEAR! But you will see if you keep a copy of the file in another folder its pretty easy to go in there and replace the gif files...and some the the gif file numbers will be the same....

The same is also true if you change templates and then go back to using your original one...it will regenerate new gif files and you will have to replace them....good luck with this it can be a little frustrating...but it does create a rather nice result

It's not meant to be a top-end solution, but it is a solution to get a quick web presence.
                            I agree and it helps a lot of people who would not otherwise be able to afford a website get one.

You just need to play around with the Settings tab, each option for an image appears as a button - click on e4ach of these, add a small image, View Page and see what changes have happened. This is how I've taught myself.
                            I agree...play around....

I like Site Studio - I do have a few suggestions for the developers, but that's a whole other kettle o'fish! So far I have enough options with templates and background colours to achieve what I need for my clients.
                            You got that right....I would have a few things to add I am sure.

WebHoster...I too tell my clients its a template based program because it allows them to create it themselves if they want to..but what usually happens is once they start to fool with it...they end up having to pay for support or just have you build it...I think its good for marketing....I do use the term "basic" site when referencing site studio is a template based program...

PS...I am glad you all like my site...I make, by hand, the hardwood pens and pencils you see there...I am just now trying to coordinate paypal's shopping cart with site studio...another task...so I don't have that working yet......but if anyone is interested in one of my products...please email me from the website and tell me you saw this in the forum and I will give you a 20% Discount.

Comment

Hey Plato1,

thanks for taking the time and trouble to type this up! you're a trailblazer for us all!

One of the other things I love to do is change the background colour from the Settings Tab, which means there are tons more optional web site templates - I've used this with good results.

I'm going to go play with SiteStudio - thanks for letting me know of your trials and tribulations, with great results.

Cheers
                              WebGirl

Comment

I am confused by this thread because it was started so long ago and now of recent WebGirl made a post yesterday. I was curious has Site Studio been upgraded? If so, Milan could you check to see if it is that way on my server? I have just built 2 websites using Site Studio and I am finding problems in that there are areas where the template "allows" you to add in your own logo...and when you select that option, it does nothing...it seems like there might be some bugs???? Could you check this out?

By the way, Milan, I know you said your own site builder is not top priority, but when it does happen....will we be able to easily transfer the current website in site studio into the new program???

How would that work exactly? Because I was thinking if there might be an issue where a client may lose their site because Site Studio is no longer being used, then I would like to inform them in advance. Thank you.
                                Plato1, the server where your account is hosted is running the latest version of Site Studio that is available for automatic download\update. Site Studio is a third party product, so if you have encountered some bugs\problems you should probably report them to the product developers from Positive Software as we cannot do anything to correct them. Just for the same reason, being a third party product and not open source, our programmers are not able to guarantee compatibility between Site Studio and our own site building software when it is released. We are aware that many of our resellers and their end-customers rely on Site Studio for web site building and this is why I said that it would continue to be available even with the release of our own site builder. I can assure you that if we decide to discontinue the use of Site Studio all our resellers and end customers will be warned well in advance.

Originally posted by Fitzpatrick
                                Please please please make the RSP site builder easy-to-use and efficient! I hate how there's so much stuff in the current site builder where it says like "Enter text" and it doesn't say where the heck on the page the text is going to go. Then you write out like a paragraph and it ends up being the header. And there's other similar things that happen like that. So maybe just make sure it's not hard to understand the program?
                                Fitzpatrick, I am sure that our developers will take your more than reasonable suggestion under serious consideration when they develop our own site builder.

Plato1, I have already done this and I will move this thread into the new category. I will search the forum and for other threads about Site Studio and I will move them into the new category as well, when I have a bit of spare time on my hands.

Comment

Working...
                                X