making joomla work for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making joomla work for me

I have a hosting site setup, and it looks like I can get six web hosting accounts to come to my server because I have a way to install a cms right on the server. I have been playing with joomla now. It's installed on the server thanks to elefante.

now how do I take a website I have built for a client and have joomla manage the content? I saw something about wrappers and iframes. I'm hoping someone on here is using joomla to manage content on a site they have built.

I'm just stuck, now that its installed where do I start?

Originally posted by runtdog View Post
    now how do I take a website I have built for a client and have joomla manage the content? I saw something about wrappers and iframes. I'm hoping someone on here is using joomla to manage content on a site they have built.

I'm just stuck, now that its installed where do I start?
    Look in the folder "templates", there are folders which are themes that ship with Joomla. Which ever layout you choose to customize make a copy of it and name it the new theme name. Next, change the details in the templateDetails.xml file. Then search and replace the old theme path with the new theme path in the html files. Look in "language/english.php" to change text not found in the theme files. Upload to server, login to control panel, and select the theme in the template manager as the default theme. De-select any references to other templates while you are there.

Now to change the template for a certain page, put this code at the top of your index.php file and upload to server: <?php print $_REQUEST['option']; ?>

Go to the url of the page you want to change the layout for and take what is printed out at the top and replace it where "*****" is in this code:
    <?php if($_REQUEST['option'] == '*****' ){ ?>
    <style type="text/css">
    .alert{
    color: red;
    text-decoration: underline;
    }
    </style>
    <span class="alert">DISPLAY SOMETHING NEW FOR THIS PAGE</span>
    <?php } ?>

Remove the print line at the top <?php print $_REQUEST['option']; ?> , and insert the new code, shown above, where you want the changes made.

It's best to change the background-color using css directly in the html. Otherwise the results could be not what you expected. This tag is the main content: <?php mosMainBody(); ?>

Make note when customizing that "modules/" and "components/" are different things. The login module is "modules/mod_login.php", while the login form is here "components/com_login/". So you could be modifying one thing and looking at another.

Have fun!
    Aaron

Comment

Thanks

Now that is what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the detailed post

Comment

You're welcome

Comment

How are you doing on this project?

Comment

Working...