Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Whois/Id negative points for me. - ResellersPanel Discussion

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whois/Id negative points for me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whois/Id negative points for me.

Ok so I took a look at this new service and I am left with some questions that I do not quite understand the pros of it... If you run a business online and then your who is information has a bunch of fake nonsense would that not make my company look spammy or not very legit rather?

Also if this service just places fake information in my who is information I do not understand why I could not just put fake who is information in my who is info all by myself...

I am missing the usefulness here... Also for someone who was going to use this service then why dont you guys have the whois blocks to say something like *Protected* in the fields rather than some fake names?

It protects your information, by putting in information that is for a thirdparty that handles communications on your behalf. Usually this means it will forward you emails that the whois address receives. But this way your personal email address isn't out in the field.

This is not unprofessional, many companies make this available, infact some domain registras provide the service for free now and encourage its use.

If you don't like it, don't use it .

I have wondered though when push comes to shove, who owns a domain with other information in the whois, because usually the technical registrant is the entity in the whois.

Originally posted by Wicked View Post
    Ok so I took a look at this new service and I am left with some questions that I do not quite understand the pros of it... If you run a business online and then your who is information has a bunch of fake nonsense would that not make my company look spammy or not very legit rather?

Also if this service just places fake information in my who is information I do not understand why I could not just put fake who is information in my who is info all by myself...

I am missing the usefulness here... Also for someone who was going to use this service then why dont you guys have the whois blocks to say something like *Protected* in the fields rather than some fake names?

Comment

This isn't something pioneered by RSP. WHOIS protection is a very big business, especially for folks who operate their businesses from home. I agree that it seems as though they're trying to hide (why not just get a postal mailbox?), but everyone seems to like it Ok.

Comment

Alot of people use the service right now. This is just one more thing that helps us compete and get more customers.

Home business or personal website alot of people do not want thier personal info all over the internet.

Comment

did not answer anything

Thanks for you comments but I am afraid none of them answered any of my concerns.. I know a lot of people use it and I know what it does.. I just do not see what stops me from doing what it does already manually? I can change the who is info and put a fake catch all email in there all by myself..

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked View Post
            Thanks for you comments but I am afraid none of them answered any of my concerns.. I know a lot of people use it and I know what it does.. I just do not see what stops me from doing what it does already manually? I can change the who is info and put a fake catch all email in there all by myself..
            Sure you could do that. But based on ICANN policy you can lose your domain if you use false data. With the whois protection, the data being inserted is the registrars data. So none of the details in the whois are false. So you have the option to use the WHOIS protection which is approved by ICANN or you can do it your way and risk losing ownership of the domain.

Also the main advantage of the whois protection is to eliminate spam. They do all the spam filtering and send all legitimate emails directly to you. Using your own catch all email would mean you have to filter all the spam from the legitimate emails.

I get a bit of postal mail from harvested whois data. Companies try to get me to host with them, transfer my domain to them or even sell the domain to them for the reg fee lol They could take the domain if they could prove I am violating trademark. But the fact they try to get me to sell the domain for reg fee tells me its worth a lot more than that. They are probably premium domain owners looking to add to their domain portfolios.
            Last edited by Guest; 05-08-2007, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Thank you..

Thank you.. Now that is a good informative answer.. Would it still be against the rules if I just put the text *Information Protected* in the fields?

Comment

Yes I think so. I'm pretty sure ICANN has to have complete and accurate data on file. The whois protection just masks the data while at the same time the registrar is able to provide your personal information to ICANN if needed.

Comment

The word "fictitious" in the news item about the WHOIS\ID Protect service was used inappropriately. In fact, the details, with which the WHOIS information is replaced, are not fictitious. These details belong to an intermediary business entity set by domain registrar offering the WHOIS\ID Protect services. Such an entity protects the actual domain owners from spam and unwanted attention to their personal information. However, such an entity will not protect the actual domain owners in cases, when legal liability is sought from them by the respective authorities.

Wicked, entering erroneous information in the WHOIS details of a domain is not only against ICANN regulations; it is also against the terms and conditions of service of domain registries (like VeriSign), domain registrars (like eNom) and domain registration service providers (including Resellers Panel). It might also be against local laws as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X