Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared Hosting vs. VPS

Hi all;

I currently have a shared hosting account with resellers panel, which has worked out great for a number of years. Recently, one of my sites has been asking for more and more resources (space, bandwidth, and mostly cpu resources), Thus, I have looked into the VPS offer.
    I would like to do a painless migration to a fully managed VPS, with cpanel, where I can basically run my site the same way I have been doing in the shared hosting account, but without the cpu load limitations.
    My question is, is it possible? How much work will I have to put in a vps account to run my site?

Thanks.

vps also has it own limit like guarantee RAM,burstable RAM and the cpu limit.
    and also you have to take care of the server yourself or pay extra for the managed service.

Comment

Configuration

Thats exactly my question, if I order the following:

- Regular VPS plan -- $40
      - Cpanel running on cent OS -- $10
      - Managed service -- $10

How much difference would there be between the above, and a shared hosting plan in terms of user (me) management?

Comment

Well, the VPS plan gives you a much higher CPU usage limit (80% on the base on versus 5% on the Enterprise hosting plan). This is a big deal.

As for managing the VPS, it would be just like managing your own server. Of course, if nothing went wrong, you could use cPanel like usual with no trouble.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for your help; i just feel I cannot compromise any more time to maintain a host.

Comment

comcenter, if website(s) require additional resources and you are considering to spend $60/mo on a web hosting plan and do not want to be bothered with server management, then perhaps you could consider migrating to a semi-dedicated hosting plan. The semi-dedicated plans offer more resources, come with our proprietary control panel (saving you the time to adjust to a different web hosting control panel like cPanel) and do not require you to take care of server management as it is fully covered by our support staff and system administrators just like with shared hosting plans. More details on our semi-dedicated hosting plans are available here and you can always contact our support team, if you have additional questions.

Comment

That is excellent advice. will definitely take it under consideration.
              One question, is it possible to upgrade from the semi-dedicated plan 1 to plan 2, from within the account as with the shared hosting plans?

Thanks.

Comment

No, unfortunately, you cannot upgrade to a semi-dedicated plan from the control panel of your share hosting plan. You would have to open a support ticket for the purpose. Also, please have in mind that the upgrade would require the moving of your account to another server, as semi-dedicated accounts are hosted on different servers than shared hosting plans.

Comment

I meant from semi dedicated 1 to semi dedicated 2 (from 15% cpu load to 25%).
                  Also, now that you mention it, the support techs would transfer the stuff in my account to a semi dedicated if I opened a support tcket? They would do that?

Comment

Yes, all the data from your Semi-Dedicated server 1 will be moved over to the Semi-dedicated 2 at no cost.

Comment

Actually, I think comcenter referred to moving his website(s) from a shared hosting to a semi-dedicated plan, but yes the support team should still move the account free of charge. Please, have in mind that some downtime should be expected, in case that nameserver changes are necessary.

As for the second question, you should be able to upgrade from Semi-Dedicated 1 to Semi-Dedicated 2 from the web hosting control panel of your semi-dedicated account.

Comment

Working...
                      X