New Control Panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maxa,

do you mean that your clients use the control panel in English, but they do not wish to read the news and the legal page ?

If this is the case - I do not get it.. what's wrong of having news and legal part in English if everything else is in English ?

Best Regards,
    Kalin Blaskoff

Comment

It's not an uncommon thing that Swedish hosting control panels are in English, since most software comes in English anyhow, and hosting clients are usually good at English.

But it suddenly becomes very obvious that this hosting is not Swedish when news are written in English. The news is a good thing – I subscribe to the news thread of the forum and publish the news in Swedish on my homepage because it shows that things are going on.

I’m not hiding that “our” servers are not in Sweden, but the Swedish web industry is very sceptical against reselling hosting companies, so I don’t shout it out. But the news section in the CP does.

Comment

Ok, I got it. How about if we detect the country of your client (the one entered on the signup page) ? If it is different from UK and USA and some other English speaking countries we can turn off the news ?

Best Regards,
        Kalin Blaskoff

Comment

That would be great!

Comment

That's okay. Tomorrow it will be done.

Best Regards,
            Kalin Blaskoff

Comment

Hello Kalin,

It is not done yet what I can see...

Regards
              Maxa

Comment

Great! Now the News section disappeared from my clients' control panel. But why do I still have "*************" on the top?

I'll drop an e-mail about that one...

Edit: Some problem at the RSP side caused my store name not to show, but they fixed it after a few hours. Now all looks fine.
                Last edited by maxa; 08-03-2006, 08:24 PM.

Comment

I appreciate what you've done with the new control panel. I have however one issue with it. I'm in discussion with support on this matter now. I figure I'd air it here and get a better explanation.

The new Control Panel now shows my company name when a customer logs into their control panel. For example, if I have a customer called "XYZ Company," and they go to their control panel, they see my business name on their Control Panel screen. One would expect to see "XYZ Company Control Panel" instead. This confuses the customer. I just don't see this as an added benefit. Please explain to me how this is useful to the customer?

Frank

Comment

Hi Frank,

This is about branding. Volvo does not change the name of the car to XYZ just because they sell the car to XYZ. I don't find it confusing that it is written Volvo all over my car.

(I’m not patronizing. I just found the metaphor rather illustrative )

Comment

Originally posted by frogbzz
                      I appreciate what you've done with the new control panel. I have however one issue with it. I'm in discussion with support on this matter now. I figure I'd air it here and get a better explanation.

The new Control Panel now shows my company name when a customer logs into their control panel. For example, if I have a customer called "XYZ Company," and they go to their control panel, they see my business name on their Control Panel screen. One would expect to see "XYZ Company Control Panel" instead. This confuses the customer. I just don't see this as an added benefit. Please explain to me how this is useful to the customer?

Frank
                      Its not useful to the customer. Its useful for you because it helps you maintain the illusion that it is your company hosting a customers website, your branded control panel, and RSP is completely hidden this way.

Comment

If I understand correctly.... haven't really looked into any of this, but this is rather standard. cPanel allows for branding as well.

I don't think it should be an issue.... if they are in their control panel, they should know it, they should be in anyone else's so not sure that it should be an issue.

Is this something that you've had complaints on? I think you might be overthinking it, no offense meant.

I don't think a customer would expect anything different.

Comment

I would consider branding the control panel with my company name standard. And I appreciate that being added to the new control panel.

Thanx,

Comment

Originally posted by Kalin View Post
                            Ok, I got it. How about if we detect the country of your client (the one entered on the signup page) ? If it is different from UK and USA and some other English speaking countries we can turn off the news ?

Best Regards,
                            Kalin Blaskoff
                            Kalin,

The news section suddenly showed up today again. What happened?

/maxa

Comment

Originally posted by maxa View Post
                              The news section suddenly showed up today again. What happened?
                              maxa, I guess that something got broken during the recent database updates and optimizations. Anyway, Rob has already sent a message to the developers about this.

Comment

When you buy a copy of Windows, Mac OS or a Linux distribution does it have your name in place of the operating system name after installation? Cause that would be really cool... don't you think?

On the other hand, I can imagine how much effort a software developer would have to put into coding that application or operating system so that each and every copy uses the name of the person that purchased it in place of the actual name of the software.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
                                A brand is a collection of images and ideas representing an economic producer; more specifically, it refers to the concrete symbols such as a name, logo, slogan, and design scheme. Brand recognition and other reactions are created by the accumulation of experiences with the specific product or service, both directly relating to its use, and through the influence of advertising, design, and media commentary. A brand is a symbolic embodiment of all the information connected to a company, product or service. A brand serves to create associations and expectations among products made by a producer. A brand often includes an explicit logo, fonts, color schemes, symbols, sound which may be developed to represent implicit values, ideas, and even personality.

The brand, and "branding" and brand equity have become increasingly important components of culture and the economy, now being described as "cultural accessories and personal philosophies".

Originally posted by frogbzz View Post

Frank

Comment

Working...
                                X