When Is the API Coming Back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Is the API Coming Back?

Hi. I was wondering when the new RP API will be finished. I would like to setup my new website using it.

I hadn't realized there would be a new API, until I saw this post, and another one by Oliver. My question is this: will it be easier to implement?

Comment

Originally posted by The Stealthy One View Post
      I hadn't realized there would be a new API, until I saw this post, and another one by Oliver. My question is this: will it be easier to implement?
      Not really... The changes will not be noticed by the reseller, because it is mainly the code, which is being rewritten, not the logic or the way the API works. As far as I know, the API will not be available until mid-October.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver View Post
        ...As far as I know, the API will not be available until mid-October.
        That's too bad. I really wanted to get my custom site up and running. I guess I'll just stick with a remote form for now.

Comment

How good will the anti-fraud system be on the new API? Thats one the only reasons i'm not using it, because i'm not sure how safe it is.

Thanks,
          Adam

Comment

When you use the API, you take care of billing, so the fraud checks should be performed by you. You should not rely on an automated anti-fraud system at all. I am telling this as we have great experience with fraud checks and we have tried many methods to detect fraud automatically and spend less man power to fight it but all attempts failed. We rely on manual anti-fraud checks and I can say that this is probably not the cheapest but definitely the only effective method to fight fraud.

Comment

Do you have any advice for people using the API on how to perform fraud checks?

Comment

I have actually. Here is what you can check without having any special tools or access to paid databases:

1) Compare billing details and account details. If they do not match you should be very careful about the order. Compare the name, address, country etc.

2) Check IP geolocation. You can use one of these tools, but they are many other free ones too:

IP Address Geolocation to Country, City, Region, Latitude, Longitude, ZIP Code, ISP, Domain, Time Zone, Area Code, Mobile Data, Usage Type, Elevation and so on.

If the IP does not match the billing address (the country and the state), be aware. If the IP is Nigeria, Vietnam, South Africa, Romania and the billing address is not in this country, this is 99% fraud (we have many customers from those countries, I am not implying that you should not accept orders from these countries or have less respect to customers from these countries, just be careful).

3) Check whether the IP is in any abuse/spam lists. The easiest way to do this is to google the IP and see what results there is for it. Signups through proxy indicate high fraud risk.

4) Inspect the account details - domain, email, names. An order from James Brown, should not have an email huanghong@yahoo.co.uk. Domains, which include:
                bank, lpc, sped, transport, trans etc. could be potentially used for phishing and/or fraud. Also be aware for domains which include:
                verifysession, sessid, securelogin, login, secure etc. - could be used for phishing. Domains, which include the name of a popular company, trade mark etc too.

5) Phone verification. After you have checked everything else, it would be best if you can call the customer to verify the purchase over the phone. For this purpose you can use VoIP, for example Skype to minimize expenses.

6) Check existing domains. If the customer has a domain on his name, which was for example registered 2004 then he is probably OK. You can check the WHOIS of domains here: http://www.who.is

7) Check for existing accounts. If the customer has an account with you already, which you have already verified, then there is no reason to doubt the new order.

I hope this helps. There are probably other things, which you can check, but at this time, that's what I can think of.

One other think - don't take any chances. If you think that an order could be fraud, check it thoroughly, don't risk letting a fraudulent payment through, as it would most likely result in a chargeback and it will cost you.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver View Post
                  As far as I know, the API will not be available until mid-October.
                  Mid-October is history. Any news when the new API will work?

Comment

I have not heard anything about when it will be ready. I think they are still working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by maxa View Post
                      Mid-October is history. Any news when the new API will work?
                      Unfortunately, I do not have any news regarding the new API yet. I am sure that when there are some certain details about it, they will be announced.

Comment

Can anybody please list out the pros and cons of the API? I would like to develop my own website soon and hoping to use the API also.

Comment

The API provides resellers with increased flexibility with regard to the customization of what services to offer on their reseller sites and how to offer them. Using the API resellers who have decided to design their web hosting sites on their own are no longer restricted to use the pre-defined remote order form, they can design the order page of their reseller websites anyway they want.
                          However, the reseller API is not for everyone as it requires a decent amount of knowledge in computer programming to take advantage of the increased flexibility that the API offers. Furthermore, resellers, who have decided to use the reseller API, have to handle customer billing (including fraud checks and fraud prevention on their own).

Comment

Working...
                          X