:: Google :: Gears ::

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• :: Google :: Gears ::

I just want to suggest to the control panel developers to use "Gears" it will make it go amazingly faster.

A few days ago i installed a Joomla admin with Gears capability and I am just amazed and now every site feels slow compared to it (I have a good Internet connection)

gears will download all images, CSS and scripts to the user computer so the user wont have to load them every time it enters a new page, so the experience is just much faster.

more info: http://gears.google.com/

Originally posted by joolex View Post
    A few days ago i installed a Joomla admin with Gears capability and I am just amazed and now every site feels slow compared to it (I have a good Internet connection)
    Any website loading from local cache would appear faster than a site loading from a remote server on the Internet; regardless of your connection speed (RAM and CPU speed are unlikely to be exceeded by Internet connectivity speeds anytime soon).

gears will download all images, CSS and scripts to the user computer so the user wont have to load them every time it enters a new page, so the experience is just much faster.
    All elements of a web page are loaded into browser cache, when the page is opened in the browser. As long as these elements are still in the browser cache the page will be loaded faster with practically all contemporary browsers. I am not familiar with Google Gears, but if it tries to predict which pages a user is going to open next and loads the elements of these pages in the background, this can have cons as well as pros. For instance, it would increase web traffic (although traffic is cheap nowadays) and can fill your local cache with unnecessary data (although RAM and disk space are getting cheaper as well). Google had a similar application before called Web Accelerator, which did not require a server-side component, but it failed to gain much popularity, Google eventually stopped its further development and does not offer it any longer.

I just want to suggest to the control panel developers to use "Gears" it will make it go amazingly faster.
    I will pass your suggestion to our Marketing and Development teams, but I cannot guarantee that it will be approved and implemented.

Personally, I am not sure if there is a point in implementing it. Our Reseller Control Panel and Web Hosting Control Panel already use technologies like AJAX.

Comment

Thanks for passing the info

Originally posted by Milen View Post
      I will pass your suggestion to our Marketing and Development teams, but I cannot guarantee that it will be approved and implemented.
      Thanks for passing the info, I hope one day I will enjoy a Web control pannel as if it where an aplication that was runing in my desktop like Dreamweaver for example, like I said before in my new Gears poweres Joomnla admininstrator side. "Gears" is not only like cache, I know that cache helps, and i know the kind of pre download prediction that i hated, I dont know but this is diferrent, or at least it really speeds up things more then the other tactics.

I'm not saying that the current control panel is slow or bad by today's standards, but I just hope better things come in the future.

More "Gears" info: http://code.google.com/apis/gears/

Comment

i have tried gears in the past and it has worked quite well

Comment

Working...
        X