Yet another thread on Windows Hosting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another thread on Windows Hosting

I know this has been discussed earlier with no result but still...
    Why cant RSP start windows hosting atleast on dedicated servers ? There is a lot of potential in Windows hosting and the matter of licensing costs..Microsoft is providing server softwares at great discounts and even free through websitespark, an initiative to help web developers. With windows hosting there can be several other benefits such as getting listed on Microsoft DB as a hosting partner. You can become a bizspark hosting partner which can be very useful and help draw the attention of enterprise customers.

ResellersPanel has always used its own custom technology, which from the start was based on Linux technology. Porting this to Windows would be very time-consuming and expensive. I used to think it would be great to offer Windows hosting, but I think for the most part it's time has come and gone. I am not a huge fan of anything having to do with Windows these days - and I think most of the rest of the world is not either (or at least is heading in that direction). Long-term, I don't see how Windows hosting gives a competitive advantage.

Comment

I think it's just a way to get extra products on the table to say "look at me!!! I host practically every type of hosting known to mankind! Spendall your money with me!!"

Im with the Stealthy One on Microsoft. They think too much about the bottom line rather than releasing quality, bug free software.

On a side note, i wonder if Windows hosted websites ever give the visitor a BSOD that forces them to navagate away instead of the good old traditional errors lol

Comment

Never had a request or query about windows hosting, so not doing it isn't that much of a loss to me. What is the difference? The ability to run Active Server Pages (ASP)? This can be done under Linux too.
        (not too sure on the effect on a shared server though).

Comment

nithinr6, ResellersPanel currently has no plans to offer Windows-based hosting, as far as I know.

In addition to the licensing costs, Windows-based hosting would require system administration skills different from the ones our staff currently has.

Our management thinks that instead of spending resources on Windows-based hosting with uncertain results, especially considering current market conditions, it would be better to use the available resources otherwise.

Besides, in my personal opinion, currently everything that could be achieved with Windows-based hosting can be achieved with Linux-based hosting with the same or even better results.

Comment

wmghori, the current solutions that allow running of ASP under Linux are not particularly suitable for shared hosting servers.

I am not an expert on this, but I have always wondered what are the things that would require ASP and cannot be achieved with PHP?

Comment

Originally posted by Milen View Post
              wmghori, the current solutions that allow running of ASP under Linux are not particularly suitable for shared hosting servers.
              That is what I was saying.
              Originally posted by The Loon View Post
              This can be done under Linux too.
              (not too sure on the effect on a shared server though).

Comment

Working...
              X