Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitoring and Reboot not working

Hello everyone,

I mentioned it already in a topic of mine that I created recently, but unfortunately this topics seems to be deleted. Very sad that RSP does not seem to like critics in their services. However, this will not stop me from keep sharing the stuff that is simply going wrong in here. What do I want to talk about?

Server monitoring and automatic rebooting! According to RSP this is part of a managed services package. With my VPS the managed services package is included, so I expect that my server would be rebooted if it crashes. Well, I told once already that my VPS was down for a whole night in the past and nothing has been done about it. And just yesterday at 02-03-2014 18:35:41 I experienced the same again. I was on my site when it suddenly went down. I checked the VPS and the OS crashed after an uptime of 3 weeks. I decided not to reboot manually and was waiting for something to happen. After 15 minutes of downtime I was sick of it and rebooted the server as, you guess it already, nothing happened.

So what is this all about? Why does RSP promise things that are simply not there?

Best Regards,

Chris

Well I can assure you I do not delete posts unless they are spam!

Regarding this problem, can you give a few more details?

What plan is the VPS ? What software are you running on the server? If it is a web server, are you using the Hepsia CP or doing your own admin?

My understanding of the managed services is that you must be running the standard install (ie Hepsia CP, no root login or custom software) Once you go out of this setup, the system admin cant be expected to be versed on all the different software out there. I find it VERY odd that your VPS is crashing, have you looked in the logs to see why it is crashing and needs a reboot to fix it?

Comment

I have checked the vBulletin moderator logs and no-one deleted your thread which leads me to believe that the only other options is that you have deleted that yourself (by accident I am sure). Otherwise by all means do share whatever you feel is relevant to this forum. Noone is stopping you. The VPS server monitoring (included in the managed services) only monitors if there is connectivity to the server nothing else. So if there is such connectivity it does not appear on our monitoring system as malfunctioning (even though it may mean that the OS or your sites are not operating at all). Lets not get confused by server uptime and website uptime as they are different things although relevant to each other. If you notice that your VPS is not operating normally simply open a support ticket rather than waiting 15 minutes or rebooting the server.

Comment

P.S. its me Yan Ashton haven't logged out after checking the admin logs for the lost tread.

Comment

What plan is the VPS ? What software are you running on the server? If it is a web server, are you using the Hepsia CP or doing your own admin?
          OVZ8, Hepsia, completely managed, no own administration.

I find it VERY odd that your VPS is crashing
          It is just crashing very seldom. This is nothing unusual. Server = Computer and computers are crashing from time to time, especially when they are virtualized.

that you have deleted that yourself (by accident I am sure)
          Oh, now RSP already starts to accuse the user off stuff in the forum? Just like in support tickets? I am impressed. So during the few weeks I did not visit the forum while I was awake I did it while I was sleeping and deleted my posts or what? Yeah, sure.... Let me tell you something: This is not the first time a topic of mine in which I complain about something simply disappears. One time I was even banned after doing so, even though my language was completely ok and in no way offensive. And now my last topic has disappeared (the one in which I complained about useless support replies). I have not deleted it for sure, I don't even know how I can do it in this forum software. But well, this story is not what the topic is about - so lets forget about it. At least until this topic disappears again? LOL

Lets not get confused by server uptime and website uptime as they are different things although relevant to each other.
          Don't worry, I know enough about that to notice if there is a connectivity issue or if the server is down. The server did crash for sure. Did not respond to pings and the control panel was indicating "offline".

If you notice that your VPS is not operating normally simply open a support ticket rather than waiting 15 minutes or rebooting the server.
          Simply because I CAN fix the issue by myself with a reboot. Opening a support ticket and waiting for something to happen will take much longer than 15 minutes. My last two tickets took over one and a half hour to get a first reply. By the way, that was also something I did complain about in the topic that has been disappeared.

--> So in a nutshell: Yes, there is a problem with your monitoring system! So better fix that because I absolutely do not like seeing sometimes in the future that my server has crashed in midnight and is offline for over 7 hours, as it happened in the past for one or two times...

Best Regards,

Chris

Comment

Chris,

I am totally independent from RSP, I'm a reseller just like you and I can see deletions on the forum, there are no deletions for your posts, bar your first posts which were mistaken for spam. Initially, you were banned because you were mistaken for a spam bot. I emailed you once I noticed the mistake and re-invited you back to the forum.

I know my questions might appear to be repeatitive and not helpful to you, I am simply trying to understand what is going on.

Ok, so you were actually physically logged onto the server when it crashed and when you logged into the VPS CP it showed the VPS was offline/switched off? I guess the question is why it switched off?!? I have two self-managed VPS's in the UK Data Centre, is your OVZ08 in the same data centre? With my VPS I very rarely reboot (only after major software updates) One thing I did notice is that when I was running Ubuntu in one of my VPS containers, when I issued a sudo reboot command, the server locked up just like you described. I had to log into the VPS CP and boot it from there. CentOS on the other hand reboots fine from inside the container.

In another thread you mentioned you wanted a regular reboot, are you trying to do this from inside the container, ie on a cron job? What OS are you running on the VPS that failed?

Comment

Hello clivejo,

yes, my VPS is in the UK datacenter as well. Since the specs increase happened I do not reboot on a regular basis anymore as well. The slowdowns after a while just do not happen anymore now. I never log in into the command line anymore and let RSP do all the work. However it is possible to reboot it without any issues from the command line. If I am not wrong in the VPS CP if it shows "oflline" it does not mean that it is shut down. I think it shows shut down if it has been shut down. Or am I wrong? Never paid attention to this.

Best Regards,

Chris

Comment

I dont know, I read that because the reboot command is usually handled by the BIOS and on a Virtual Machine the real BIOS is hidden, the command is handled by a script. Which under some OS types does not function properly. Mine shows a red icon with the "offline" while the VPS is "powered down".

I am at a loss as to why your VPS would suddenly go offline. Was the VPS IP dead too (could you ping it)?

Comment

Ok, so it was powered off in my case. Thanks for the clarification. Of course the IP was dead, as it is linked to the server. If there is no machine running behind it you can of course not ping it.

Comment

In most cases that's true. However, if you have intrusion detection/blocking installed that can render a ping to the server useless as the server is ignoring them for that particular IP. But I digress.

As I said I have two self managed VPS and they only reboot/power down when I log into the VPS CP and tell them to do so. This leads me to think that something is causing the container to crash/fail/suspend/shutdown on its own. I wonder are you close to any of your quotas for memory, disk space or CPU? The disk space especially could cause the to kernel panic, if you didn’t have enough free space for the normal operation of the server.

Comment

No, I am not even close. Some of my sites are growing insane recently, but that's why I bought a rather big VPS package. There are only like 25% of the resources in-use, 40% at peak times. Error logs do not show anything unusual.

Comment

Working...
                      X