Templates and Autostarted video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Templates and Autostarted video

I am using the SmartZone template and thought it was just me who hated that the video started automatically. I work in the middle of the night and if I forget to turn down the audio, it is startling.

A recent report in Website Magazine say that most people hate autostarted audio and video. Can we add a button to start it if the visitor wishes?

--

See number 3

http://www.websitemagazine.com/conte...ign=newsletter

3) The Autoplay Issue

A video that plays by itself turns into an irritant for the visitor, whose only goal then becomes to find the tab where the audio is playing and close it. It is important to remember that your visitor might not be at the comfort of their home, but instead maybe at work, or school or at some place where watching a video is not appropriate.
    Secondly, visitors like to think that they are in charge of their actions. Having the video play automatically without them having to initiate any action on their part is a poor usability technique. Your visitor might already be listening to their favorite music while visiting your website. By forcing your video or audio content upon them, you are only giving them more reasons to close your Web page.

Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (section 1.4.2) states that if an audio is automatically played for more than three seconds, an option should be shown to the visitor whereby they could pause or mute the audio. This option should be independent from the systems' main volume controller.

Facebook recently launched autoplay ads on its newfeed, and in less than 24 hours we already have Web users searching for ways to block these “annoying ads”.

In a survey based on 605 participants, it was found that 70 percent of them found ads that played automatically sounded very negative.

Although there haven't been any major research done on whether the presence of auto playing videos increases the likelihood of people leaving your website, just a quick search on popular forums will return comments like this:
    "One time I really needed some info of this page and it was blaring some cheesy tween pop song. I was in a crowded room and quickly scrolled through the page to get the info and then slammed the laptop shut like it was a ticking time bomb." ~ Karen

But if you know that the majority of your visitors read your website from a cubicle, for example, video play should always be user initiated.

- See more at: http://www.websitemagazine.com/conte....x3q7KSHS.dpuf

The only way to change the duo server template's is if RSP choose to. But I must say I do agree with you regarding auto-starting media.

Have you submitted a ticket?

Another alternative solution would be if you converted your store to use the Wordpress theme and plugin. You would then be able to control these things yourself by modifying the code. In fact, you could modify the video clips with your own voice over and make it more branded and localized.

Comment

You can enable / disable video auto start from the reseller control panel under my store => customize template.. If you have multiple stores be sure to select the correct store

Oh be sure to click "quick template update" at the top of the reseller panel.

I'll +1 clivejo on the wordpress themes, If you are already paying for a DNS cluster you can get one installed on the equivelent of a starter hosting plan free of charge...
      Last edited by doneritehosting; 22-03-2014, 03:06 AM.

Comment

• clivejo
        clivejo commented
        Editing a comment
        I already checked, he seems to be using a Private DNS package, so he should have a free account in which to host a WP based site :-)

• doneritehosting
        doneritehosting commented
        Editing a comment
        My opinion that would be the way to go All Mark has to do is request install and setup from support..

Its true the saying, "you learn something new everyday!!"

Comment

You know, after switching to the WP store a while back, I completely forgot about that feature, LOL!

Comment

• clivejo
          clivejo commented
          Editing a comment
          How are you finding the switch? Any marked increase/decrease in sales?

• Nova-Host
          Nova-Host commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, I haven't been advertising like I want to because of the deactivation of the live chat service, so I haven't gotten any sales. The only one I have is my own personal account. I DO have plans to advertise via business cards, craigslist and maybe a few other sources, but I want to wait for live chat to come back. I have a feeling it will be a long while before that happens, but I'm willing to wait a while longer before complaining.

Originally posted by clivejo View Post
        Its true the saying, "you learn something new everyday!!"
        Ditto!!!! LOL

Comment

Working...
        X