Pay As You Go VPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay As You Go VPS

Some of you may have read my experiences with another company who provide "on demand" Virtual Private Servers and well, it didn’t go very well. But I do like this idea of having custom resources and Pay as you go (PAYG) type service.

I do quite a bit of testing and while most of the testing is on a local server on my own LAN, I would like the ability to "spin up" a custom server which is online with a public IP address etc. I do think VPS type services are the future and also the ability to customize the resources. For example one project I would like to try is very CPU intensive for certain periods, but it is not critical and can be done when the cluster is less busy. To get the CPU I need currently, I would require a dedicated server, but this would be very expensive and overkill as the CPU would be idle for most of the time! Another feature I would like is the ability to clone a VPS and create a library of images. For example, if I wanted to "sell" a custom/self managed server. I could create an image and have a fully functioning server in a few minutes, ready to sell on to my customer. Currently, I would have to install from scratch which is very time consuming for me and current not worth the effort.

Would RSP be interested in looking into this or have any plans for increasing VPS options available to us?

We're following this one...

Comment

Following this one too.. I've suggested custom vps resources myself..

Comment

I would like the option of paying for a VPS for longer periods then 1 month. Maybe three, six, and 12 months at a time...

Comment

Originally posted by iads View Post
          I would like the option of paying for a VPS for longer periods then 1 month. Maybe three, six, and 12 months at a time...
          Why dont you make the payment into your wallet for the 6 or 12 months and setup a reoccurring payment to automatically pay each month from the wallet? By loading up your wallet you can also get a bonus which kick in at different levels.

Comment

I would love that option as well. It basically is what cloud providers are doing nowadays. This could replace the semi-dedicated packages.

Comment

I know there would need to be some safeguards to prevent abuse. How would people feel about making a deposit into your wallet? This is what I mean by prepaid Pay As You Go. For example say I needed to do a huge processing run for 2 days a month, like a pay roll for example. If I could dynamically increasing my VPS for those two days by say increasing the RAM and CPU and only pay for those extra resources for those two days.

Another thing that interests me is idle compute time. For example, when the cloud isnt very busy, why not allow people to do special jobs at a reduced price. This takes advantage of the hardware when demand is low and also generates an income from it rather than nothing at all. A bit like spot instances on another popular cloud.

Comment

Working...
              X