Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 What can I do with the domain connected to the private DNS? - ResellersPanel Discussion

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I do with the domain connected to the private DNS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I do with the domain connected to the private DNS?

Hello,
    I am happy to se the new Managed DNS solutions in our control panel. Good job!

Please advice me how to do this:

I have one domain for my shop, myshopname.td, and one that I intend to use for the DNS, myshopname.net.

Today, I market my web hosting business with the url www.myshopname.net but it is 301 redirected to www.myshopname.td/webhosting/ and this is how I want it to remain.

1. Can I use myshopname.net for the DNS and still have http 301-redirected to my shop? If so, how should I set it up?

2. Is it imperative that I transfer the domain to RSP in order to use it for DNS, or can I have it delegated from another DNS-service to RSP DNS?

3. What are the advantages with 2 DEDICATED IPs compared to 1 DEDICATED IP & 1 SHARED IP?

Thanks for advice.

1. If you want to take advantage of the Managed DNS service, but want to point your reseller domain at a custom-built reseller site, rather than a reseller template, you can do so by changing the A record of the domain for which you have ordered the Managed DNS service.

2. The domain for which you will enable the Managed DNS service must be either registered or transferred to Resellers Panel. You cannot use the Managed DNS service with domains that are registered with other domain registrars. For domains that you transfer to Resellers Panel, the Managed DNS service can be activated only upon the successful completion of the transfer. The Managed DNS service cannot be activated, before the domain transfer has completed successfully.

3. The benefits of two dedicated IPs over one dedicated and one shared IP are better security and improved anonymity for your domain.

Comment

got a question

i have a RSP registered domain, can I use it as my store as well as for my dns and email cluster??

something like this

STORE: bizhosting.com

DNS: ns1.bizhosting.com and ns2.bizhosting.com

EMAIL Cluster: pop.bizhosting.com /smtp.bizhosting.com

OR Do I have to get another domain exclusively for the DNS Cluster?
      Last edited by Guest; 19-05-2006, 04:03 PM.

Comment

If that is the case then... how come when I try to use my existing RSP registered domain.. I am being charge for a renewal in the billing?? Wherein its either i will be charge $20 or $40 right? why the renewal charge? i just renewed that same domain a couple of weeks back

RSP, any comments guys??

Comment

nitecrawler, Liquid Hosting, I just spoke with the developer responsible for the DNS cluster.
          According to the developer, if you want to use an existing domain with us for the DNS cluster, you will be charged for the domain renewal as well. Although inconvenient, this is necessary, because if you order the Managed DNS service and your domain expires during the validity of the Managed DNS service (for instance, if you forget to renew the domain for some reason), the sites of your customers using your private name service will stop working, although their domains and accounts might have not expired yet. To prevent this from happening the registration period of the domain used for the Managed DNS service, should equal or exceed the validity of the Managed DNS service itself.

nitecrawler, the email cluster setting that your clients can use, if you order the Managed DNS service, is mail.yourdomain.com for both POP3\IMAP and SMTP.

Comment

Liquid Hosting, your suggestion is very reasonable, I will ask our developers to add a note about this in the Domain Manger section of the control panel.

Comment

But is it pretty obvious that a reseller will never allow his/her domain to expire on them if they have clients on it.. doing so would be "THE END" of his/her Reselling biz? at least to his /her clients

I suggest instead that RSP give the reseller an option to renew his/her domain not just for 1 year... 2, 3, or even 5 year renewal would be nice.. is this related? A bit, i guess!

or

set it PRO-RATA on the first year...then both the Domain and DNS Cluster will expire on the same date.. what do you guys think?

Oh hell.. I guess we let those who will signup decide for themselves whether is fair to be charge for something that it not expired yet... unless that renewal charge will add another year to your domain.. if this is so.. then "EXTEND" would be the right word than "RENEWAL"

Comment

nitecrawler, naturally, renewing your domain with the managed DNS cluster will add one year to the validity of the domain. You are not being charged the domain renewal fee for nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Milen
                  1. If you want to take advantage of the Managed DNS service, but want to point your reseller domain at a custom-built reseller site, rather than a reseller template, you can do so by changing the A record of the domain for which you have ordered the Managed DNS service.
                  Thanks Milen,
                  But as I wrote in my question, I want this domain to redirect to a certain subpage of my reseller homepage. I do not know anything about the A record, but it seams like it should be given an IP-address. I guess I have to get a dedicated IP address for my site then, but how do I forward this to a certain subpage?

Comment

maxa, please excuse me for the delay in replaying to this thread. Here is how what you are trying to do could be achieved:
                    I assume that the domain www.myshopname.td/webhosting/ to which you have referred in your first post is hosted in a web hosting account with us. Please, correct me if I am wrong (I realize that the quoted domain is just a dummy domain that you have used, because you do not want to post the real one on the forum).
                    I also assume that the domain www.myshopname.net, which currently redirects to www.myshopname.td/webhosting/ was registered somewhere else (I realize that this is a dummy domain as well).
                    In order to use the Managed DNS service with www.myshopname.net, you need to transfer the www.myshopname.net to us.
                    Then to achieve the desired redirect result you should do the following:
                    1. Order a dedicated IP for the web hosting account where www.myshopname.td is hosted.
                    2. Create a subdomain at myshopname.td, for instance webhosting.myshopname.td.
                    3. Assigned the dedicated IP to the subdomain created in item 2 through the Subdomain Manager section of the web hosting control panel.
                    3. Change the default path for the subdomain created in item 2, from /www/webhosting.myshopname.td to /www/myshopname.td/webhosting/ through the Subdomain Manager section of the web hosting control panel
                    4. Change the A record for myshopname.net to the dedicated IP that you have ordered through the webhosting account where myshopname.td is hosted. The change can be done through your reseller control panel: Domain Manager (section)-> Private DNS (tab)-> Manage DNS for: myshopname.net (drop-down menu)->Edit A-Record (button).
                    Please, have in mind the following:
                    1. The Managed DNS service can only be activated after the transfer of myshopname.net has completed successfully.
                    2. It may take up to 72 hours for the DNS information to propagate worldwide after a DNS change and during this time the domain might not be accessible.
                    3. The total cost that you will need to pay to achieve the desired effect will be $46USD to $66USD depending on the type of Managed DNS service that you want to order ($20 or $40USD for the Managed DNS service + $8USD for the domain transfer + $18 USD for the wholesale price of a dedicated IP for 12 months). If you think that the price is acceptable to you, you are welcome to make the orders for the described services and follow the steps described above.
                    Last edited by Milen; 11-07-2006, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Thanks Milen for your helpful explanation. I’ll do this.

Comment

Working...
                      X