Hosted Domains 1, Parked Domains Unlimited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hosted Domains 1, Parked Domains Unlimited

I have spent all day trying to get my head around this and can't.

I decided to post it here rather than ask support because it leads to further questions I have and I would like to see them become part of this thread.

I have purchased an account from my resellers panel and the plan I created for myself only allows 1 hosted domain, because that's all I need.

Both my store and the plan options show I can have unlimited parked domains.

If I wanted to park the .net, .org and .info extensions of the same domain, how do I do it?

From what I have been able to see in the tutorials, the domains have to be in my account before I can mark them as parked. But how can I get them there in the first place if I can only host 1 domain?

I tried registering one and transferring one, but it said I can only host 1 domain. It seems to me that the number of parked domains in a plan must be set to the same number of hosted domains.

Am I missing something here?

Hello,

You can park as many domain names as you wish provided they are registered or transferred to us.
    You do not need to host the domain name in order to park it. When you transfer a domain name you have an option to host the domain name which you must de-select. After the domain name is transferred you will be able to park it through the My Domains -> Domain Manager -> Registered Domains section without any problems.

Let me know your other questions

Comment

Thanks yav0r,

I tried it with that box unticked and it went to the next step. So yes, I was missing something - that box.

The next question is; if I bring the other extensions in, can I set their nameservers to a hosting account from another company, or do I *have* to host them from my account?

In other words, can I register them here, but create a website anywhere?

There is some logic behind my questions, so please bear with me.

Comment

Hello,

Yes you can change the name servers and point them to whatever hosting provider you wish. It is not compulsory to "host" the domain names with us even though you have transferred/registered them with us.

Let me know if there is something else I can help with.

Comment

Thanks Yan,

The terminology is not what I am used to and the concept of "hosting" a domain was what was making it difficult to understand how everything ties together.

I have seen in older posts that by using the Domain Manager plan, that shows as $0 for 12 months, you can actually use your store as a gateway to a domain Registrar.

I'm also aware that the "domain only" option is something of an ongoing feature request, and one that may eventuate in the near future.

Knowing now that my customers can have the option to host their websites here or wherever they choose will make my own marketing a lot easier. They would be able to use the cheaper hosting here and have a backup mirror site elsewhere, which they could activate simply by doing a DNS change, should the proverbial hit the fan.

Some of the questions I had are now not necessary and I need to re-read things with a clearer understanding of what things mean. But I would still like to keep this thread open should I get confused again.

I'm sure I'm not the only person that has never realized you have to untick that box and having it in the forum will help the next person who scratches their head over that problem. As with anything new, there is always that steep initial learning curve.

Comment

Originally posted by Graeme View Post
            I have seen in older posts that by using the Domain Manager plan, that shows as $0 for 12 months, you can actually use your store as a gateway to a domain Registrar.
            I agree that the domain manager plan shown as $0 for 12 months is a little confusing. The only way I can explain it to my clients is that as long as they register/transfer a domain to us there is no cost for the domain manager plan. But it is still a little confusing when they go to the sign-up form. I would wish that RSP rethinks how that is presented on the form.

Comment

Working...
            X