Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenVZ VPS CPU 600Mhz?

Am I missing something here?

I activated the new OVZ01 plan and, apart from there being no useful information about the plan in my store, it shows the CPU as 0.6Ghz.

To me, as a potential buyer, I would not choose a server operating at 600Mhz.

Obviously I am misunderstanding something about the description, but so would a customer.

Why does each plan have a different processor speed?

Also it says 1GB of RAM. Not something that would inspire me.

If I'm confused, how would a potential customer feel seeing those specs?
    Last edited by Graeme; 27-01-2012, 04:31 AM.

Okay, I can see from further reading that the 1GB of RAM is your personal limit.

However, that is not made clear by visiting the store.

For instance, the Virtuozzo plans show:

CPU: 2x Opteron 6128 - 16 cores & 32 GHz total
    RAM: 128 GB DDR3 ECC-REG

These are the figures that the ordinary customer would be looking for.

I think the plans within the store need to be explained a lot better before they could be used as viable options.

It needs to be remembered that most people, myself included, have never used VPS and need the features explained simply and to appear inviting, which the new plans are not.

Comment

Hello,

With all due respect the VPS packages information is showing exactly what it should be.

CPU: 2x Opteron 6128 - 16 cores & 32 GHz total
      RAM: 128 GB DDR3 ECC-REG

Is the TOTAL hardware for a server which houses VPS packages it is NOT one VPS package. If you want such a server as one package you would be looking at thousands of USD per month price....

The fact that you are not aware why would you want a VPS operating on 0.6Ghz. does indeed show that you are not aware how VPS works in general and neither are you aware of how much hardware does a normal site consume or the general idea of hosting hardware... This is not your home PC that you would play games on and 0.6GHZ is more than enough to run virtually unlimited number of websites on.

Packages have different processor speed since they have different prices. Obviously some websites need more resources than others and that is why there are different packaged in the first place.

On the other hand customers don't just barge in and purchase a VPS. These advanced hosting packages are being bought from people with above the average knowledge about hosting a website. People that have knowledge of root access to a Linux server and installing their own applications. If someone has not used a VPS he would not consider doing so anyway. They would stick to the shared hosting package. VPS does require knowledge about managing a server, rebooting, installing software and things that you would not normally be even aware of if you are running on a shared hosting plan.

And for such people the information provided on the packages is more than enough.

So all things considered you should not be frustrated that you do not know how a VPS works because people that need VPS servers usually do.

Comment

OpenVZ can limit cpu usage, probably that's why you have a load of 58 (on the main node I guess). It's a normal thing to see the load average on a node higher when a VPS has a higher load average. Check how load avg is calculated in Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by yav0r View Post
          ....Is the TOTAL hardware for a server which houses VPS packages it is NOT one VPS package. If you want such a server as one package you would be looking at thousands of USD per month price....

The fact that you are not aware why would you want a VPS operating on 0.6Ghz. does indeed show that you are not aware how VPS works in general and neither are you aware of how much hardware does a normal site consume or the general idea of hosting hardware... .
          I realize the VPS specs are for the whole server. But there is a lot more information that goes with it on that page.

With the OpenVZ page there is no explanation and no server specs. The CPU speed and RAM figures to a casual visitor (and me) make it appear low quality unless you buy a higher priced plan.

I also realize that as resellers, using the free store templates, we are selling things we know nothing about. I was just concerned the presentation would disturb visitors as it did me.

If I, as an electronics technician with over 20 years experience, took a step back, then how will somebody with no technical training react.

Fair enough, it's none of our business how things work, but it would be nice to know just the same. Maybe you can provide a link here so I can learn how a system can work at such low speeds.

Comment

I did some Googling on OpenVZ VPS technology and I can see now where the 600Mhz comes from.

It is not the actual speed of the CPU, but the result of the percentage allocated to it.

If the CPU was running at 6000Mhz and your account was allocated 10% of CPU usage, then you are said to be on a 600Mhz (0.6Ghz) plan.

The figure is a virtual one, not a physical one. For example, my PC has a 3Ghz dual core processor, but at any one time my task manager shows me using 1% of my total CPU capacity.

That doesn't mean I have a 30Mhz CPU, but that I am only using a 1% slice of the total capacity most of the time.

The different OpenVZ VPS plans merely allocate you a larger slice of the server's CPU resources and more RAM limits.

I think that explains it fairly simply, and without complicating it more than I need to.

If I'm way up the wrong track, I'm sure someone will correct me
            Last edited by Graeme; 27-01-2012, 02:29 PM.

Comment

You got it right Graeme that is exactly how virtualizing works in general.

Comment

Previously I was using semi-D 1 plan, but the site load very slow and I checked the server information page, the average load in 1min, 5min and 15min quite high, then I decided to switch to OpenVZ 01 plan and now my site load very fast.

So, generally 600Mhz is fairly enough for me.

I run 2 wordpress and 2 php site with 4 mysql connection, great performance, no downtime like semi-D plan, except that day roughly 10min down due to whole server reboot.

Comment

Working...
                X