Down time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Down time

Pretty angry at the moment due to down time yesterday and dealing with some very annoyed clients. I didn’t want to come on the forum until I calmed down.

Shared hosting seemed to be the worst hit with over an hour and twenty minutes of down time yesterday. Even my VPS's got hit and seemed to be up and down like yo-yo's.

I would like an explanation as to what happened please.

wasnt just the uk dc would you happen to be having problems around 5:00am CDT yesterday? Saturday morning on my end?

**Edit**
    Will say one thing.... Saturday morning I also had heck of a time with my banking website my retirement site with ING and facebook too... WOW (my isp) has been having problems past 2 weeks with downstream slowdowns... I pay for 30mbps ds and been thankful when I get 5mbps (30mbps is high end residentual where I live and expensive next step is 50mbps business. Only way to get faster is to have fiber optic piped directly to my house n thats way more than I am willing to pay without my own datacenter lol ... Has the Backbone finally reached it's limits?
    Last edited by doneritehosting; 19-01-2014, 11:53 PM.

Comment

I got a message warning of this last down time due to upgrades, but they said it would only be ten minutes.

Comment

Maybe it was a fluke on my side then but when I was having problems with my reseller site... everything else went south too...

I didnt get a notification from anyone.....??

Comment

• iads
          iads commented
          Editing a comment
          The notification came as a pop up today when I logged onto a client site. I went back after clivejo first posted this thread to get the actual wording, but it didn't come back.

Hi Clive.

First, I want to apologize to you and all other Resellers and Clients affected by the issue.

It was caused by a huge inbound flood at our UK Data Center, where the technicians work hard for hours to identify the sources and block them.

I have added 7 days to the expiration of your VPS as a remedy, hope it can make up for your troubles (can do the same for all of the affected clients as well).

Best Regards,
        Tom.

Comment

• StrasserC
          StrasserC commented
          Editing a comment
          I did ask for a compensation as well in support and they told me it is not covered by the 99.9% uptime guarantee. I want a compensation as well.
          BTW: You guys have still not fixed the issues with Emails where the email client is putting out connection errors multiple times a day. This is still happening. Just checked my error log of Outlook and I had 24 connection fails for today.

Tom,

My main issue here is the lack of feedback from RSP. I do not like being put in this position. Having angry people contact me and I dont know what is going on or even what the problem is. It really paints me in a bad light and destroys years of trust and confidence. Saturday evening I was so angry, I would have moved lock, stock and barrel to another provider.

I understand there is no point in having a go at you or the tech guys as they are trying to deal with a difficult situation, but I do think RSP need to look at better feedback and also some kind of backup email system. First I knew of this problem was via telephone calls, I checked properstatus and all it said was Network issues affecting the UK data centre. Is it not possible to give us better feedback? I’ve seen the evidence of incoming floods hitting the UK data centre and I respect being told the truth, but why cant we have this information via the properstaus website?

Another solution Ive seen other providers use is a 3rd party "feed" to push out technical status messages. For example I would subscribe to updates for the UK data centre. I could then get these updates pushed out to my smartphone or other devices. I personally would like to know about any issues which could affect the service I provide, be that slow downs, floods, hack attacks etc

Comment

The problems started at 12:47 GMT, I believe CDT is GMT-5 so it would have been about 7:47am CDT

Down 18-01-2014 12:47:20 --- 0 hrs, 10 mins
          Down 18-01-2014 13:05:26 --- 1 hrs, 4 mins
          Down 18-01-2014 15:37:26 --- 0 hrs, 8 mins
          Down 18-01-2014 16:59:57 --- 0 hrs, 23 mins

My problem is that properstatus did not communicate the problem until 2014-01-18 17:50 GMT or 5:50pm, a good 5 hours after the problem started and was ongoing.

Comment

Hello again.

Thank you for your feedback, it is always appreciated.

Again - I agree with you completely.

I have investigated with the technicians who were on shift that day and actually they have immediately updated properstatus.com with the problem, although they were not sure what the problem is due to the 90% packet loss.

The status was updated 3 times in total, however the description of the problem is not accurate at all.

I will escalate the issue (and your better feedback recommendation) and make sure that it does not happen again.

Once again - apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Best Regards,
            Tom.

Comment

Tom, I'll +1 clivejo's Idea of a feed to subscribe to for each datacenter... RSS would work great with the wordpress themes and for email / phone notifications for planned upcoming events with more accurate information

Comment

I'll +1 this as well. An RSS feed for each datacenter would be awesome. That way we can configure our stores to have an RSS feed, and to put all three feeds in one feed widget, assuming that's possible (I'll have to research into that a bit). But as I said, I do agree, something like this would work wonders for us. Less phone calls from angry clients demanding to know why their websites or hosting accounts are down that way.

Comment

Its possible Nova... there is a wordpress plugin for aggregating rss feeds into posts for categories you specify... And I was thinking along those lines.. Then a visitor or client does not have to pop into proper status to see what the network status is...

Comment

This is the message that my clients are getting when they log on:

Dear Customers,

Our Network Engineers are working over network cables replacement between servers in order to ensure better stability and performance of the servers in one of our server racks.
                    It is possible some timeouts of around a minute to be noticed during the maintenance period. Expected continuance of the maintenance is about 5 hours. After that services will become operational as they are expected.

Start time: 15:00 UTC / 09:00 CST

We apologize for the inconvenience that this issue may cause to you.
                    Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Comment

• doneritehosting
                      doneritehosting commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hmm I just logged into my CP via login as reseller hosted us datacenter and did not get a message at all

• iads
                      iads commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That message was cut & paste...

Hello.

We had a 5 minute downtime in the UK Data Center last night due to:

"Pulsant will be performing maintenance on the core routing platform in our Maidenhead facility.
                    The maintenance is required to perform critical firmware upgrades as recommended by the equipment vendor."

Best Regards,
                    Tom.

Comment

• doneritehosting
                      doneritehosting commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the heads up Tom

I can see the downtime at approx 3am this morning. However, the shared hosting experienced a further 17minutes downtime at 08:31:51. Proper Support seems to indicate this was a MYSQL server issue, was this the case?

Comment

Shared hosting went down today twice for about 3 minutes each time. No reports on proper support and VPS's not affect. Whats going on?

Comment

Working...
                      X