Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emergency Help For Client (Email Server Related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency Help For Client (Email Server Related)

I have a client threatening to leave if I can't help her with this problem. She says that she has already contacted "my Help Center" to no solution, that would be RSP...

When she sets up her email client using my custom email server info it works for the test, but then stops working after a few hours. She gets a Server Not Found error.

She has also taken her computer to the Geek Squad/Best Buy to see if it was the problem, and they found nothing.

She set up the email client using both the auto set up file and manually and got the same results.

What should be my next step?

When you say custom email server, you mean branded, using your domain name? Is she having problems sending/receiving or both?

What email client is she using?
    Last edited by clivejo; 04-03-2014, 11:31 PM.

Comment

I was about to say I can't help you there, as I haven't myself experienced such an issue as this, then suggest clivejo or donerite might be able to help you out, but I see master clive is already on it

Comment

Originally posted by clivejo View Post
        When you say custom email server, you mean branded, using your domain name? Is she having problems sending/receiving or both?

What email client is she using?
        Yes, I mean branded, mail.i****dvanced.net, and she is using Outlook. Just receiving...

Thanks for jumping in so fast.
        Last edited by iads; 05-03-2014, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Iads,
          is she using POP or imap?
          if imap is she using the incoming imap port with ssl or standard port 143... I use no ssl with no problems
          If i try the ssl port for outgoing I always get a server not found error...

Thing is Everytime I auto setup with a mail client, the ssl ports are always chosen by default and I have to change the settings to non ssl ports manually.. Hope this helps you out
          Last edited by doneritehosting; 05-03-2014, 05:14 AM. Reason: Typo / port 143

Comment

• iads
            iads commented
            Editing a comment
            She has tried both, but she is telling me that the problem is SMTP.

• doneritehosting
            doneritehosting commented
            Editing a comment
            I use port 2525 on outgoing with no ssl and check requires authentication...

If she is just receiving this suggests a problem logging into the SMTP server to send mail. The SMTP server requires you to authenticate your full email address and password as a login. Some clients only use the username part of the email address and this will be rejected, your must use the fully email address (ie clivejo@clivejodomain.com)

POP3 (incoming mail server): port 110
          IMAP (incoming mail server): port 143
          SMTP (outgoing mail server): port 25 (some ISP's block port 25, use 2525 instead)
          Last edited by clivejo; 05-03-2014, 02:44 AM.

Comment

• doneritehosting
            doneritehosting commented
            Editing a comment
            using 2525 without ssl on this end with outgoing email and no problems...

If you are trying to use SSL, sometimes I have seen problems with the SSL cert being rejected by the email client. Essentially the real address of the server is mail.s u p r e m ecluster.com and its being masked by your branded domain. However when the cert is checked it might be rejected due to it being for the wrong domain! Some clients allow you to override and accept the cert, others do not. In the latter case you will have to use mail.s u p r e m ecluster.com so that the cert matches and you can access the mailbox correctly.

Comment

Hello.

iads, I have just found your ticket.

I will review the situation right now and reply to the ticket directly.

Best Regards,
            Tom.

Comment

• iads
              iads commented
              Editing a comment
              Tom, I am trying to get screenshots from her now....

I once had the same problem. The simple solution was that with Outlook under Internet E-mail settings Outgoing Server Tab the box (My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication) was not checked. Once I checked that and the button Use same settings as my incoming server was checked that solved my problem.

Comment

• iads
              iads commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks vlasi47gr, I will look into it.

• iads
              iads commented
              Editing a comment
              Update: We tried it. It didn't work.... but thanks...

Hello.

iads, how about the solution that I gave you in the Ticket?

I am at home now and cannot check that... hopefully it worked for your client.

Best Regards,
            Tom.

Comment

• iads
              iads commented
              Editing a comment
              No, she said Best Buy had already tried that. I attached screen shots to the ticket. She took my word that the servers are working find, but she said that if it comes to it she will have to move her hosting, as a last resort to try to fix the issue.

Direct her to use webmail (http://webmail.is o m a dvanced.net/) which will allow her to access her emails and prove the servers are working.

Did you try using port 2525 for SMTP?

Comment

• iads
              iads commented
              Editing a comment
              She said that she did try that at Best Buy, and she has been using webmail in the interim. She does not like it, and wants to use Outlook.

That is just weird. I'm using the default mail client for win 8.1 and snowleopard with no problems.

Comment

• iads
              iads commented
              Editing a comment
              This is weird. She has contacted the store (Best Buy), RSP Support, and me. I opened a reseller support ticket, and brought it to this forum. I have never had a face to face with her, but she answers all questions with understanding in her voice. She has sent screenshots which I shared with RSP. I can't share them here because they have her info on them. Still not working. I may just have to throw my hands up, and loose her as a client.

Has she tried using the automatic settings in the Hepsia CP? Under Email Manager

Click image for larger version

Name:	emailsettings.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	56489

Comment

• iads
              iads commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, she says that she has.

• clivejo
              clivejo commented
              Editing a comment
              Has she any firewall software installed that could be blocking the sending of emails?

• iads
              iads commented
              Editing a comment
              Good idea!!! I will ask her.

I still think it has something to do with how she has her Outlook set up. Just something simple but hard to spot such as an extra space in the outgoing server name, a comma instead of a period or a wrong or missing check mark. I would delete the account setting in Outlook and redo it being careful not to make any errors.

Comment

• iads
              iads commented
              Editing a comment
              We've done that 50 plus times. The way Outlook works is that it doesn't save the settings until it passes the "Test Account Settings", so she had to retype everything each time she tried a different fix.

I'm more of the opinion that she has got some kind of firewall / software protection which is blocking the outgoing connections to your server.

Follows these instructions up til the end of step 2 and record back your progress

Comment

Working...
            X