Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

50-55 mins of downtime today, what happened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50-55 mins of downtime today, what happened?

Every one of my hosting accounts (in both the UK and USA) all failed at 13-07-2014 11:49 BST and had no response for approx 50-55 minutes. I’ve looked on Proper Status and there is nothing mentioned. What happened?

Hi Clive.

I have checked all reports and talked with our Administrators, however such downtime was not recorded here.

Is it possible that this is regarding your Freehostia Accounts?

One of the Freehostia's Web Servers IPs: 162.210.101.*** was null routed by the Data Center for one hour yesterday due to DDoS attack, except for that - we did not have any issues.

Best Regards,
    Tom.

Comment

Hi Tom,

It was recorded for my VPS (both Hepsia and non-Hepsia) and shared accounts. I have sites hosted else where and they did not go down. By down, I mean the HTTP page that was expected was not served. This also picks up DB connection errors etc

Ive just logged onto one of the VPS and looked at the uptime which is 39 days, 27 min. So that verifies with your logs of no downtime. But something affected the http connection for 53 mins yesterday. Was there any networking issues?

Comment

Hello.

No networking issues have been detected here or have been reported by our clients.

Best Regards,
        Tom.

Comment

Had another outage at 14-07-2014 20:11:42, same thing again, lost http access but server was still up. This is very strange!

Comment

This is really strange.

I can confirm that there were no network issues and that we have not detected such outage :/

Here is the screenshot (for the UK bases Servers) from a third-party monitor:

If you could open a ticket while the issue takes place (hopefully it will not reoccur) we would be able to investigate.

A trace route and MTR would be very much helpful:

This wikiHow teaches you how to run a "traceroute" command on your computer or smartphone. Open Start . Click the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner of the screen. The Start menu will pop up.

Best Regards,
            Tom.

Comment

Hi Tom,

Its not a huge deal, Id just like to understand whats going on.

Do you monitor by IP or by URL?

I wonder could this be a DNS issue, rather than a IP one?

Comment

clivejo - next time you see it happening try and access your site from a third party proxy site. Some are pretty seedy, but we use hidemyass.com - no thats not a typo. if your site appears up there, then its a more limited routing issue involving carriers somewhere between YOU and desination server and not a real or wide outage... just thoughts.

Comment

The one on Sunday I did try and one of the websites in the UK data centre and I couldnt open it. Unfortunately I wasn’t in the position to run any further checks.

Comment

We are now monitoring our cluster and site as well.... We're monitoring hostname ping to catch IP or DNS problem as well as by key word on our site to catch db/site load issue.
                    Last edited by theLarry; 18-07-2014, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X